Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 06:10 PM

6 posts, read 8,849 times

Advertisements

Hey all. My wife and I are moving to North Carolina and have been looking for a home to buy. We have always rented $1200-1500/month for the past 4 years in NYS. We are tired of playing and paying the rent game and decided to look for a home. Currently I am the only one working with a solid job so the budget is a mere $200,000. I know it maybe far fetched and on the very low end of buying a house at that price, but we are realllly hoping to find a single family home to buy that is a new build. A few websites we have looked at so far include Centex builders and Schumacher Homes. Although in some cases you have to buy the land first, then the house.

Could anyone please assist us in some possibilities (if any with our budget) of new built single family homes we could look at? Quick move-ins as well! We want to get away from Town Home communities, and I know with our budget it is Very tough to do so without knowing someone that can point us in the right direction.

I work at home for my job so even if it is away from Raleigh we don't mind. We just want to be in a safe area that isn't far away from civilization (Grocery, malls, school etc). Once we get an idea of a builder, or quick move-in locations we will buy tickets out there and meet with someone from the community or company to really check it out.

Please help if you have time I would really appreciate it! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2015, 06:53 AM

3,576 posts, read 10,657,526 times
I'm confused. If you can afford to pay 1200-1500 a month for rent, why are you low-balling the price of a home so much? Are you trying to reduce the monthly payments substantially?

I agree with the other post. A SFH for 200K or less would have to be way outside in one of the surrounding counties, if even there.

Old 01-23-2015, 08:09 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Why are you wasting what little you plan to spend on a home looking for new construction? That seems illogical.

Old 01-23-2015, 08:58 AM

13,373 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiba321 View Post
Currently I am the only one working with a solid job so the budget is a mere $200,000. I know it maybe far fetched and on the very low end of buying a house at that price, but we are realllly hoping to find a single family home to buy that is a new build.
Savvy Homes has some quick move-in single-family homes under $200K in Spring Lake, Fayetteville, Linden and Hope Mills. If you do not need to be in the Triangle, then you can find several other builders who work in Harnett, Moore, Hoke or Cumberland Counties.

H&H Homes has two move-in ready houses in Clayton at the Meadows of Summerlyn, and many more in the Fayetteville area.

You could also look toward Mebane and Burlington, but I am less familiar with builders there.

Old 01-23-2015, 09:09 AM

135 posts, read 162,772 times
When we were looking, we saw some at Tuscany near Clayton that were advertised to be $170K...don't remember the builder. I guess you would call them duplexes since there were two homes with attached garages - not sure if you would consider those or not, but thought I'd make you aware of them in case...I think there were some other developments out that way that are probably at least close to your budget but don't remember specifics from several months ago...

Old 01-23-2015, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
I'm confused. If you can afford to pay 1200-1500 a month for rent, why are you low-balling the price of a home so much? Are you trying to reduce the monthly payments substantially?

I agree with the other post. A SFH for 200K or less would have to be way outside in one of the surrounding counties, if even there.
- Right now I have been paying 1450 a month on rent for 3 years, never missed a payment. Then i pay for utilities, water/electric and internet on top of that. Cell phone bill, car payment... Wife is not working. My business work for now is doing great, but I am afraid within the next 5 years it might slow down and I don't want to be in trouble with house payments on our first house or having to scatter looking for work to keep up. I just don't want to go balls to the wall just yet on big payments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Why are you wasting what little you plan to spend on a home looking for new construction? That seems illogical.
We both don't really care about some huge amazing house, we just wanted something newer that wouldn't raise a lot of issues later on when we wanted to sell it again. We heard down south you could get newer constructed houses cheaper than in NYS. Also, it would make things a lot easier to just be able to fly down a few times from New York instead of a bunch of times to be checking out tons of listings (and cost less).

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Savvy Homes has some quick move-in single-family homes under $200K in Spring Lake, Fayetteville, Linden and Hope Mills. If you do not need to be in the Triangle, then you can find several other builders who work in Harnett, Moore, Hoke or Cumberland Counties.

H&H Homes has two move-in ready houses in Clayton at the Meadows of Summerlyn, and many more in the Fayetteville area.

You could also look toward Mebane and Burlington, but I am less familiar with builders there.
-We will def. Look into this, thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBonz View Post
When we were looking, we saw some at Tuscany near Clayton that were advertised to be $170K...don't remember the builder. I guess you would call them duplexes since there were two homes with attached garages - not sure if you would consider those or not, but thought I'd make you aware of them in case...I think there were some other developments out that way that are probably at least close to your budget but don't remember specifics from several months ago...
-Thank you for the info too TBonz!

Old 01-23-2015, 11:19 AM

13,373 posts, read 27,044,128 times
It would help if you answered a few questions.

1. Do you have kids, and are you concerned about school quality?
2. Does you wife need to seek a job, and if so, what field would she look in?
3. Are you restricted to living in the Triangle? If not, would you consider the many less expensive towns in the Triad?

If you are restricting the search to the Triangle, there are a few possibles in Johnston County and Chatham County. I believe there would also be others in Harnett County. (FYI, the Fayetteville area is not really in the Triangle and some of my suggestion may be too remote for you.)

Old 01-23-2015, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
It would help if you answered a few questions.

1. Do you have kids, and are you concerned about school quality?
2. Does you wife need to seek a job, and if so, what field would she look in?
3. Are you restricted to living in the Triangle? If not, would you consider the many less expensive towns in the Triad?

If you are restricting the search to the Triangle, there are a few possibles in Johnston County and Chatham County. I believe there would also be others in Harnett County. (FYI, the Fayetteville area is not really in the Triangle and some of my suggestion may be too remote for you.)
Hey Goldenage, Thank you for your response!

1. No kids right now, school is important although we would probably end up moving in 10-15 years to a bigger house. Another reason why we are looking to pay a smaller amount for our first house.
2. My wife will most likely be working at home starting next year (2016). She is an interpreter and does her work online. Although, if need be she could always job search outside of home. She doesn't mind travel as long as it isn't over an hour to work.
3. We are not restricted to anywhere at this time. I work solely from home doesn't matter where I live as long as there is a stable internet connection. A big concern for both of us though is being within a reasonable distance of grocery and malls/restaurants. You know civilization lol. We don't want to be out in the middle of a forest with nothing to do. From the Airport to say myrtle beach is a 3-4 hour drive from what google maps says. That isn't bad in my opinion we are used to driving 6 hours to Jersey Shore from where we are currently.

What do you guys/gals think of companies such as KB Homes and Centex? I've researched both myself on the web and of course because they are big companies there are plenty of disgruntled buyers with them. I've also heard that if you build your own house they really kill you on upgrade costs, and if you choose not to upgrade fully your house turns out to be just boxed rooms. Most comments i found were from 2006-2009 regarding the companies and from other states. Anyone know someone who has bought a KB or Centex built home around this Raleigh?

KB- New Homes for Sale in Raleigh, NC - Built to Order - KB Home
Centex - New Homes in The Raleigh Area by Centex Home Builders

Old 01-24-2015, 09:13 AM

1,337 posts, read 2,208,969 times
I can't comment at all on builders but have to second what Redzin said: WHY focus on new construction. There are many places around here (Clayton) that are advertising new in that price range, but I wouldnt want to buy one. I even went and looked at one just for kicks-no thanks!

We are in a newer home(8 years? maybe 9) and are still renting with option to purchase. this is supposedly a custom, better home. Out landlord was the first to live here. they paid 359,000 for 2700 Sqft. Now super high price, no, but not at all worth the 359K. We've had to already replace plumbing in all 3 showers and toilets, tile floors are cracking, walls have major cracks, can see seams and nails under the paint in the walls and furnace unit has needed repairs twice.

We moved from a 100 year old house thinking new would mean less work,but its not what we're seeing at all.
So, just my opinion, but I wouldnt zone in on ONLy new construction. Plus, so many people move around here there are plenty of newer homes for sale all the time if you really are opposed to an older home.

Old 01-24-2015, 11:28 AM

If we were to not focus solely on new construction, which Real estate company should I call to look into listings? Can I get a recommendation of which agency is better than others?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary