Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 02:13 PM

6 posts, read 19,416 times

Advertisements

Good afternoon everyone! I am new to posting on city-data but I have used it extensively to get an idea of the different places I am looking into as options for moving. First, I want to thank everyone who takes the time to answer these questions; I am amazed at how detailed the responses are and I can always tell when a lot of thought goes into the responses and how much people love the places that they live.

Now on to more info about me:
* I am a 24 year old female who has an Elementary teaching degree and I currently reside in Pennsylvania. I have tried for two years to obtain a job here but everything is extremely political and I 1) do not have an "in" in any of the districts remotely close to me and 2) do not have the required money to bribe most of the districts in the area (teaching jobs are very hard to come by)
* I would be moving with my fiance who has a 7 year old daughter
* I have been able to find many job opportunities in the Wake County School Districts as well as a few in the Harnett County Schools. Even though I have not yet been offered a job, I am looking ahead in case things do happen.
* My fiance wants to be near the beach but I am noticing that jobs are not as abundant in areas such as Wilmington. He also does not like to live in big cities so we are looking for a more small town feel (so cliche to say but sort of like a Gilmore Girls town feel to it haha) but with an easy commute to attractions and amenities ( I love museums, shopping, small parks for children, as well as local businesses and farmers markets).
* I have looked into Knightdale, Rolesville, and Lillington and they all seem to be great little towns and not horribly far from a beach (where I live now it takes about 4-5 hours to get to the closest beach) with a short commute into Raleigh.
* As far as how much I am willing to spend, I would be living off of a teaching salary so I am thinking about $35,000 to $40,000 a year and my fiance is going to hopefully transfer colleges to finish up his nursing degree so he would have hopefully a part time job.

If anyone has any information on these towns or other towns that would be an easy commute into the Raleigh area for me I would greatly appreciate the input. It is hard to get a feel for all of the surrounding towns and I read so many mixed responses on living in North Carolina that I had to find out for myself. I hope I provided enough information to help with the responses.

Thank you everyone for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2015, 02:27 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,844,220 times
Umm, where is the fiance going to be working? That's kinda the deciding factor, isn't it?

Old 02-23-2015, 02:44 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,167,824 times
You need to know how NC treats teachers before you decide to come here.

NC wants new teachers so they can pay less. Last year, the state tried to eliminate tenure and may try again. All NC teachers work for the state but counties can supplement their pay.

Family health insurance is expensive and is poor in covering expenses.

Nursing salaries are on the low side too since there are virtually no unions and this is a right to work for less state.

Look around to be sure this is where you and your fiancé want to live.

Old 02-23-2015, 02:48 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,577,091 times
A couple of things to consider:

First, ignore anyone who bashes on the prospects of being a teacher in North Carolina. While it may not be the ideal place to launch your career, launch your career you will and it will provide you with the experience you'll need.

Second, Raleigh isn't a big city by anyone's stretch of the imagination. Your best opportunities for teaching positions will be in Wake and/or Durham County and the further east you go, the fewer the available positions. You can live in many of the towns within Wake County that are quaint and affordable (e.g., Fuquay Varina, Garner, Holly Springs) but also keep you within a short drive of the best the Triangle has to offer.

Good luck, North Carolina is a great place to both start out and settle in.

Old 02-23-2015, 02:49 PM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
According to: RALEIGH: Wake County sees 'alarming' increase in teacher resignations | Education | NewsObserver.com

Starting salary $31K though there are plans in the works to raise it to $35K sometime in the future.

If your fiancé is a in a nursing program, I would encourage him to finish it rather than putting energy into transferring. Transferring is often a time-consuming process and I'm not even sure it is possible to transfer into many nursing programs.

See if there is an AmeriCorps program in your area you can apply for. Many AmeriCorps programs involve after school programs, tutoring and so forth. You can get some great experience, have insurance, get your loans deferred and if stay the entire year you sign up for, there is a bonus at the end that can apply to your college programs.

Once he has his R.N. and you have a year's experience under your belt, you will be much more employable.

Good luck.

Old 02-23-2015, 02:53 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,167,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
According to: RALEIGH: Wake County sees 'alarming' increase in teacher resignations | Education | NewsObserver.com

Starting salary $31K though there are plans in the works to raise it to $35K sometime in the future.

If your fiancé is a in a nursing program, I would encourage him to finish it rather than putting energy into transferring. Transferring is often a time-consuming process and I'm not even sure it is possible to transfer into many nursing programs.

See if there is an AmeriCorps program in your area you can apply for. Many AmeriCorps programs involve after school programs, tutoring and so forth. You can get some great experience, have insurance, get your loans deferred and if stay the entire year you sign up for, there is a bonus at the end that can apply to your college programs.

Once he has his R.N. and you have a year's experience under your belt, you will be much more employable.

Good luck.
Good advice.

Old 02-23-2015, 05:21 PM

615 posts, read 1,503,765 times
It's not all that bad if you know what you are coming into and dont expect a raise for a few years....and really not bad considering you can't find a teaching job in PA......
Starting salary is now $33k plus an additional $1000-4000 supplement depending on what county you work in....for a total of minimum $34,000 starting Salary. Health insurance is free for you( no dental)... Basic, but sufficient coverage if you are basically healthy. Your fiancé will pay about $250-300.mo. for basic coverage for himself and child....but it's sufficient blue cross coverage.

if you rent first ( which I highly recommend) you can expect to pay @ 900-1100 per month for. 2 br apt in a nice complex...or 3 br rancher in harnett or joco. All other expenses , except auto insurance( that will be cheaper) and heating( less here in n.c due to shorter winters)... Will be similar to PA. Look on Craig's list or clayton residential rentals for houses....or abberly place apts. in garner( wake county) ...a very nice complex in which many of my teacher friends have rented their first year in n.c.

We moved 8 years ago because dh wanted to retire early( age 40) and I had trouble finding a teaching job in n.j.( for the same reasons you listed). We never looked back and love it here. It is very doable to live here on a single teacher salary until your fiancé has full time work....if you budget somewhat. It is also possible to find a nice starter 3 b.r, rancher in johnston or harnett counties on nice sized lots (3/4-1 acre) for $150,000(@ 750 per month mortgage pmt) when you are ready to buy after renting.

Good luck!

Old 02-24-2015, 06:54 AM

6 posts, read 19,416 times
Thank you for all of your input on this matter. I appreciate it and have a lot more to look into!!

Old 02-24-2015, 07:52 AM

1,337 posts, read 2,208,969 times
Her fiance and his daughter can get on HER insurance? And I am not sure about that quote. To add my husband and kids (whether 1 or 3) it was almost 700/month with dental. I think 300 was just for the kids.

Old 02-24-2015, 07:56 AM

615 posts, read 1,503,765 times
No.no. Not on her insurance...private policy /Obama care. It was much cheaper for my family to just do a sep. Policy for dh and daughter. It is half the price.

Plus..them not being married...I don't even know if she coukd add them to hers anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary