Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 11:36 AM

2 posts, read 3,619 times

Advertisements

We are planning a move to North Carolina and looking in the Durham, Chapel Hill area. We would love to get some input from locals on good neighborhoods for families in great school districts. There seems to be a large discrepancy between Chapel Hill and other area Elementary school ratings.

We have a 3rd grader and Kindergartener this year. We are looking for large yard, friendly families, parks, trails, festivals, strong community. We like to bike, ride motorcycles, dune buggies, walk dogs, hike, swim, boat, BBQ and generally have a good time with friends.

Plan to rent first 6 months then buy at about $350,000 range. All suggestions welcome as we have never been to the area and are very lost!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2015, 12:01 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,807,738 times
Good luck with the culture shock!

Old 07-05-2015, 12:28 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,170,204 times
Chapel Hill is costly but known for good schools.

You need to be sure you want to live here. It's nothing like San Diego and the nearest beaches are hours away.

What motivated you to decide on tis area?

Old 07-05-2015, 01:44 PM

2 posts, read 3,619 times
Default Cost of living

We decided to move from this area because we make $190K and can't afford a house. We love the outdoors and my husband is from PA so really wants to move back East but I don't like Pittsburgh for the weather. So our compromise is NC and since schools showed to be good in the Triangle area of Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill and weather is more moderate it looks like a solid option. Though we like the beaches, we are selling our surf boards but bringing our dirt bikes, bicycles, hiking shoes, boat and dogs. Hoping to find family oriented place for our kids to grow up.

Old 07-05-2015, 07:09 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,344,694 times
Chapel Hill is the Berkley of North Carolina. Very liberal. College town. If that's what you're looking for it's great. If you're just looking for somewhere on the east coast that's not San Diego you can find more affordable options that also have pretty good schools.

Old 07-05-2015, 08:37 PM

1,737 posts, read 2,575,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSJOYDAK View Post
We are planning a move to North Carolina and looking in the Durham, Chapel Hill area. We would love to get some input from locals on good neighborhoods for families in great school districts. There seems to be a large discrepancy between Chapel Hill and other area Elementary school ratings.

We have a 3rd grader and Kindergartener this year. We are looking for large yard, friendly families, parks, trails, festivals, strong community. We like to bike, ride motorcycles, dune buggies, walk dogs, hike, swim, boat, BBQ and generally have a good time with friends.

Plan to rent first 6 months then buy at about $350,000 range. All suggestions welcome as we have never been to the area and are very lost!
Come visit in July or August to see if the weather suits you. Chapel Hill would give you less house for the money than almost everywhere else in NC, and the elementary schools are no better than many in Wake County. Just curious, are there any $350,000 homes left in SD?

Old 07-05-2015, 08:42 PM

498 posts, read 854,456 times
If you can use a surfboard as a stand-up paddle board, I wouldn't get rid of them. We have a lot of lakes around here and SUP is fairly popular. The lake in our neighborhood is used for that and kayaking.

I lived in Rancho Bernardo and University City in high school (Mt Carmel) and college (UCSD). When we moved here my most pervasive thought was "green." It is just so green here compared to San Diego. When my niece and nephew visit from San Diego they say they like the trees and how things are newer here. For instance, we have Super Targets and drive-through Starbucks. They thought that was great. Ha. While I miss the weather, I can't imagine raising little kids in San Diego. This area seems more family friendly.

And just a head's up.....around here BBQ is a noun. We grill on the barbecue and we eat barbecue (pig, of course), but we don't BBQ. :-)

Old 07-05-2015, 08:45 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,832,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucctgg View Post
Come visit in July or August to see if the weather suits you. Chapel Hill would give you less house for the money than almost everywhere else in NC, and the elementary schools are no better than many in Wake County. Just curious, are there any $350,000 homes left in SD?
Yes, Chapel Hill is likely the most expensive municipality in NC other than tiny "rich enclave"-type places. The schools are great, but that's not a coincidence--wealthier districts have better schools, but also higher costs of living. That is going to be true all over NC--the better school districts are the higher costs of living. Probably true everywhere.

Old 07-06-2015, 01:26 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,170,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSJOYDAK View Post
We decided to move from this area because we make $190K and can't afford a house. We love the outdoors and my husband is from PA so really wants to move back East but I don't like Pittsburgh for the weather. So our compromise is NC and since schools showed to be good in the Triangle area of Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill and weather is more moderate it looks like a solid option. Though we like the beaches, we are selling our surf boards but bringing our dirt bikes, bicycles, hiking shoes, boat and dogs. Hoping to find family oriented place for our kids to grow up.
Will you make that here?

In many fields, salaries are very low in NC.

Old 07-06-2015, 04:38 AM

22,671 posts, read 36,810,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Will you make that here?

In many fields, salaries are very low in NC.
They take a 20% pay cut they are still clearing $150K. Do you think they are schlepping shopping carts at Safeway at that salary? I wonder if you even read threads anymore, or just respond based on the first sentence with one of your stock answers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary