Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 11:15 AM

425 posts, read 462,744 times

Advertisements

My advice to the OP would be not to move somehow in hopes of finding "friendly" people. Having owned 8 houses in that many states over the last 18 years, (including Florida prior to this last move to Cary), I can tell you that there "friendly" people everywhere, along with a fair number of idiots. While people may look a little different, and talk a little different depending upon location, I haven't found any suburb area yet that didn't have a fair number in both categories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2015, 11:23 AM

37 posts, read 58,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wake74 View Post
My advice to the OP would be not to move somehow in hopes of finding "friendly" people. Having owned 8 houses in that many states over the last 18 years, (including Florida prior to this last move to Cary), I can tell you that there "friendly" people everywhere, along with a fair number of idiots. While people may look a little different, and talk a little different depending upon location, I haven't found any suburb area yet that didn't have a fair number in both categories.
I agree with you, but when the mass theme of an area is predominantly status-oriented, you tend to encounter it over and over. It becomes tiring. I suppose I am looking for a place to lessen those odds, somewhat.

Plus, people being friendly isn't my only criteria. The heat here is just too much.

How are you liking Cary as compared to FL?

Old 05-13-2015, 11:41 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,170,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whittaker View Post
I agree with you, but when the mass theme of an area is predominantly status-oriented, you tend to encounter it over and over. It becomes tiring. I suppose I am looking for a place to lessen those odds, somewhat.

Plus, people being friendly isn't my only criteria. The heat here is just too much.

How are you liking Cary as compared to FL?
I totally get what you are saying about South Florida. Believe me, it drives me nuts as well. However, I can always get away from it and level-set my head in NC when it gets to be too much.
Overall, the quality of people in the Raleigh area is heads and shoulders more polite, intelligent and down to earth than what you'll typically find in the Miami area. It's a palatable difference on the roads, in stores, at restaurants and anywhere that service is being provided.

Old 05-13-2015, 11:47 AM

5,891 posts, read 6,958,796 times
Quote:
I can definitely handle mid-80s and a few humid days in the summer. I just can't stand above-90s for 6 months out of the year. Ugh.
I grew up in Atlanta. The weather here is about the same as in the Atlanta suburbs you are looking at. Both places (RDU and ATL) can have stifling humidity, especially in July and August. It's not six months worth, but definitely more than just a few days.

Old 05-13-2015, 11:58 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,383,394 times
On average, Raleigh has 38 days a year with temperature of 90 or more. Most of those occur in June (8), July (14 - thats about half the month) and August (11).

Old 05-13-2015, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
I grew up in Atlanta. The weather here is about the same as in the Atlanta suburbs you are looking at. Both places (RDU and ATL) can have stifling humidity, especially in July and August. It's not six months worth, but definitely more than just a few days.
I really could make do, if it's just for a couple months. Especially if knowing it will be over soon. Here in Florida, it's literally half the year or more. Temps start dropping below 90 in late October. Then down in the 70s until say February. Then it crawls back up, eventually to 90s again.

Would you recommend RDU over ATL for families and schools?

Old 05-13-2015, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I totally get what you are saying about South Florida. Believe me, it drives me nuts as well. However, I can always get away from it and level-set my head in NC when it gets to be too much.
Overall, the quality of people in the Raleigh area is heads and shoulders more polite, intelligent and down to earth than what you'll typically find in the Miami area. It's a palatable difference on the roads, in stores, at restaurants and anywhere that service is being provided.
I'm glad I'm not alone!!! I am looking for that escape too, although mine will be permanent. I still ask my mother what she was thinking when brought us all down here from the NE when I was a baby. She says, "I was thinking I liked the sun." Lol, to each their own, I suppose.

That is great to know about the Raleigh area! You describe exactly the type of people I would like my daughters to be surrounded by.

Old 05-13-2015, 12:43 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,341,738 times
Quote:
I'm glad I'm not alone!!! I am looking for that escape too, although mine will be permanent. I still ask my mother what she was thinking when brought us all down here from the NE when I was a baby. She says, "I was thinking I liked the sun." Lol, to each their own, I suppose.

That is great to know about the Raleigh area! You describe exactly the type of people I would like my daughters to be surrounded by.
OP I am not from South Florida but I did take a trip to Lauderdale to visit and before we even got off the plane the vibe hit me hard and I hated it. It reminded me of NY. The vibe here is much different and yes less materialistic. I will also say that I did not encounter the South Florida vibe when I visited Atlanta either but that is all I can offer on that area!

Old 05-13-2015, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
OP I am not from South Florida but I did take a trip to Lauderdale to visit and before we even got off the plane the vibe hit me hard and I hated it. It reminded me of NY. The vibe here is much different and yes less materialistic. I will also say that I did not encounter the South Florida vibe when I visited Atlanta either but that is all I can offer on that area!
Lauderdale is just as bad as Boca! It really is in the air, isn't it? We are in Palm Beach County in what used to be a small town but now it is being overrun with grandiose buildings and luxury shops. I cannot afford anything at our mall, nor do I have a desire to. It is all Gucci, Prada, Chanel, etc etc. It was one thing being exposed to it when it was just my husband and I, but now that we have kids, I am thinking quite differently.

I haven't yet been to NC, but the first time I went out-of-state into east GA, I was blown away by the fact that not everyone was driving a luxury car. I felt very much normal for the first time in a long time, lol. Keep in mind, though, I have only lived in SouthFL. It was so relieving and refreshing seeing the way others outside of this blown up area live.

Old 05-13-2015, 01:30 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,170,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
The biggest differences between Raleigh/Atlanta and South Florida is that the nights in SoFl in the Summer are oppressive. While Summer nights in Raleigh are warm, they aren't anything like the hot nights in SoFl day after day after day for months on end.
The daytime highs for a couple of months can be higher in Raleigh than in Miami but those days are usually less humid than the days when the high tops out around 90 degrees. Like Miami, the heat of the day can result in late afternoon thunderstorms but not as often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary