Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2015, 10:08 AM

2 posts, read 3,907 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know of any private academy/schools in the Chapel Hill area that specializes in ADHD? There is full instruction K-12 school in Greensboro, Noble Academy, that specializes their education for kids with learning difference with ADHD and other challenges like dyslexia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2015, 06:02 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
I've heard really good things about The Hill Center in Durham and Just Right Academy between Durham and Chapel Hill.

Old 05-25-2015, 06:26 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,031,410 times
The Hill Center has a half day program, which supplements what a student will receive at their public/private school. Just Right Academy is not exclusively for students with learning disabilities (if that matters to you). The only school I am familiar with that is specific to learning disabilities is Fletcher Academy in Raleigh.....

The Fletcher Academy |

Leigh

Old 05-25-2015, 06:46 PM

I have an acquaintance who put her elementary school child in About Just Right Academy | Just Right Academy and has been very pleased. He has dyslexia among other issues (maybe ADHD).

There are some other charter schools in the area that might work for a kid with ADHD issues that are difficult in a traditional public school setting. I have an another acquaintance who has been very pleased with the Expedition School in Hillsborough.

Last edited by poppydog; 05-25-2015 at 07:48 PM..

Old 05-26-2015, 06:33 AM

2 posts, read 3,907 times
Thank you for all the response. Yes, I heard the Hill Center is a good supplemental school. My son is currently in a self contained academic program in Chicago suburbs and is closing the gap academically. We are transferring and relocating to NC and was to,d the schools in Chapel Hill only believes in full inclusion. So I want to look into other opportunities since his current program is helping him so much.

Old 05-26-2015, 09:42 AM

I'd be inclined to give the Chapel Hill Carrboro schools a try first. The teachers my kids have had have been pretty good about working with all sorts of kids. If you get an IEP or a 504 then he may get pulled out for one on one attention. I have seen that at my kid's school, but I don't know what's going on with the kids in particular. I've just seen them working one on one with an adult in the library.

Old 05-26-2015, 12:20 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,985,188 times
You may want to check out https://www.success4school.com/boundless-academy.html. It's a new school in Cary that specializes in differentiated learning for kids with ADHD. They're really looking for kids who usually fall between the cracks in a regular school setting, because they need more individualized teaching than most public schools can accommodate. It's a great option for kids who aren't performing poorly enough academically to warrant being pulled out for remediation, but also aren't getting the foundation they truly need to succeed in life/school later on.

Old 05-26-2015, 01:31 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,353,806 times
In addition to The Fletcher Academy in Raleigh, there is also The Trilogy School in Raleigh that also works with children with learning differences. Neither is what I would call close to Chapel Hill (about 45 minutes without rush hour traffic), but are more convenient than Greensboro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary