Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2017, 03:51 PM

2,844 posts, read 2,977,102 times

Advertisements

In a out there proposition because I live in the western triangle I’m wondering if they heavily development around Jordan will go all the Wayne down to siler city or Sanford
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2017, 06:33 PM

6,116 posts, read 4,607,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
Im 50km when you measure shortest distance, as you know roads arent straight. In total the drive is 63 km. When you consider traffic in raleigh and traffic here with say 50k more people... good luck getting there in less than 1 hour. Raleigh itself is closer but all the jobs in raleigh are on the other side. Last thing i want this area to be is Cary.

Knightdale is aiming for residential development, Wendell commercial and Zebulon residential. Zebulon isnt a "boom town" in comparison to other wake county towns but growth is picking up.

I like living here, politcally everyone is chill, live and let live, none of that political correctness bs you see in schools/communities in carrboro or western raleigh. Also, i like that this area is not diverse... just plain old black, white, hispanic... im arab, last thing i want is more arabs around me . Cary they are everywhere.

I like how i can lay on a two lane road like in "The Notebook" and not have a car come by.

I like how country folks have signs that read " Warning due to shortage of ammo there will be no warning shots". I like how everyone out here lives on a farm. I like how hunting and fishing are everything out here. I like how the Lizard Lick Pub can fly the confederate flag and no one says a damn thing (not voicing support for it, voicing support for freedom to do it!). I like how i hear hunters gunshots. I like how everyone out here can trace there family history generations back. I just like life out here, if it turns into Cary or any other suburb out in western wake i will never come back, this area will be ****.

There is one barrier to massive growth here, the planned reservoir on the little river. Huge amounts of land around it not allowed to be built up. It sort of seals off Franklin county. Only thing is it will wreck natural wetlands...

I use km because i changed my setting on google maps to km for measuring distance and am too lazy to change it back.
Thank you for such a wonderful post on so many levels. I don't even live near the area you're talking about but I can surely appreciate the concern of not wanting to have another cookie cutter area (upscale as it may be, it's still cookie cutter) overtake and push all out the local history of the area. That's what I'd be concerned about for the folks in and around Pittsboro who are going to be experiencing Chatham Park's development, which I feel is going to overwhelm that area.

It's reassuring that you although you obviously have a different background than many of your neighbors, you seem to feel comfortable in the area. I agree that it's pretty common for the simple country folks that you describe to be negatively stereotyped and completely written off by people who are different than them. Heck, I wouldn't relate to all of their habits, but they can be much more hospitable to people (including those who aren't like them) than they are often given credit for, if people will just give them basic respect and not talk down to them just because they're rural and more old school in outlook. Good people can be in every area, including places like Cary, but that doesn't mean that every single area has to feel like a Cary.

Last edited by Jowel; 10-23-2017 at 07:30 PM..

Old 10-23-2017, 08:06 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,406,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
Thank you for such a wonderful post on so many levels. I don't even live near the area you're talking about but I can surely appreciate the concern of not wanting to have another cookie cutter area (upscale as it may be, it's still cookie cutter) overtake and push all out the local history of the area. That's what I'd be concerned about for the folks in and around Pittsboro who are going to be experiencing Chatham Park's development, which I feel is going to overwhelm that area.

It's reassuring that you although you obviously have a different background than many of your neighbors, you seem to feel comfortable in the area. I agree that it's pretty common for the simple country folks that you describe to be negatively stereotyped and completely written off by people who are different than them. Heck, I wouldn't relate to all of their habits, but they can be much more hospitable to people (including those who aren't like them) than they are often given credit for, if people will just give them basic respect and not talk down to them just because they're rural and more old school in outlook. Good people can be in every area, including places like Cary, but that doesn't mean that every single area has to feel like a Cary.
Part of it is the fact that i dont have many people in the area of similiar faith/ethnicity, so rather than grouping with a certain group like most immigrants do i assimilated and made friends with everyone. In terms of not wanting arabs out here, i was joking to a certain extent. Truthfully i do enjoy being unique and not having many people similiar to me in terms of faith and ethnicity. People are very unfairly stereotyped out here, like i said folks are live and let live. Doesnt matter if your black, white, hispanic, gay, trans ( this one might be rather controversial admittedly among people here), or whatever the hell crazy thing you want to be! All that matters is you dont shove your beliefs down anybodies throat and stay a humble person. Dont be an arrogant person who looks down on everybody.

Good people are everywhere! Im sorry if i offended any one in Cary or Raleigh. Im just against the type of towns they are in terms of character, nothing against the people. I will say though i prefer a good ol southern town which Cary isnt as much of anymore in terms of residents, accents, and traditions. Raleigh imo is rather southern in comparison.

Im glad you responded! Live and let live folks! Something a lot of people have forgotten unfortunately past few years! What makes America truly great is to live and let live... not anything else.

Old 10-23-2017, 08:09 PM

Zebulon, Wendell, and Knightdale are unique wake county towns in that we existed before Raleigh went boom. Zebulon used to be larger than Wake Forest by a whole lot just 30 or so years ago. Apex, Holly Springs, Rolesville, and Fuquay were practixally nonexistent in comparison to this area. That in turn meant Zebulon has historic structures , a great downtown, lots of infrastructure already in place, and established neighborhoods. This area will be different than other wake county burbs because of our long history.

Old 10-23-2017, 08:20 PM

6,116 posts, read 4,607,373 times
Quote:
Good people are everywhere! Im sorry if i offended any one in Cary or Raleigh. Im just against the type of towns they are in terms of character, nothing against the people. I will say though i prefer a good ol southern town which Cary isnt as much of anymore in terms of residents, accents, and traditions. Raleigh imo is rather southern in comparison.
Oh yes, I get what you're saying. The parallel would be if you went somewhere on Long Island, NY and most people were speaking as if they are from rural Mississippi. It's almost that way in parts of the Triangle, with the opposite migration. Nothing against the people, either, but it just feels as if I have, for the most part, exited North Carolina in certain places like Cary. In some ways it makes for a more interesting state that you can cross a county line or go from one part of a county to another and have a totally different feel. But it's important to retain the cultural roots of people and families who have lived somewhere for generations. Improve upon them, yes, but don't just discard them. Okay- End of soapbox.

Old 10-27-2017, 06:17 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,965,100 times
thank you muslim12.
that's all. thank you.

Old 10-28-2017, 04:48 PM

174 posts, read 194,430 times
Muslim12, You might be appalled at how many "political and economic refugees" are planning to leave Connecticut and the NYC suburbs at their first opportunity. The growth rate is down NOW, but the influx has far more to do with conditions THERE than here. At least one major CT city is on the edge of bankruptcy... many non-financial firms are headed for the exits as well. The state is out of money, but still spending feverishly. I think that more of our friends from that area are down (or planning a move) here now than remain up there.

I would not be in the least surprised to see a major wave of settlement from Illinois as well.

Old 10-28-2017, 10:04 PM

3,307 posts, read 8,560,653 times
Quote:
Zebulon, Wendell, and Knightdale are unique wake county towns in that we existed before Raleigh went boom. Zebulon used to be larger than Wake Forest by a whole lot just 30 or so years ago. Apex, Holly Springs, Rolesville, and Fuquay were practixally nonexistent in comparison to this area. That in turn meant Zebulon has historic structures , a great downtown, lots of infrastructure already in place, and established neighborhoods. This area will be different than other wake county burbs because of our long history.
I'm not sure where you got your information from, but Fuquay has always been more populated than Zebulon and Apex passed you all in the 1970's and dwarfs you all now. Fuquay and Apex have just as much if not more so historic downtowns as Zebulon. Also, Wake Forest is older than and has always had a higher population than Zebulon according to the US Census. Your whole post is basically false!

Old 10-29-2017, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
I'm not sure where you got your information from, but Fuquay has always been more populated than Zebulon and Apex passed you all in the 1970's and dwarfs you all now. Fuquay and Apex have just as much if not more so historic downtowns as Zebulon. Also, Wake Forest is older than and has always had a higher population than Zebulon according to the US Census. Your whole post is basically false!
Ok i may have gotten some of the population data wrong. My point was they were no different than here in terms of population with the towns not drastically different than each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary