Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2015, 09:50 AM

4 posts, read 3,421 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I posted several years ago about coming to the Triangle and I finally made the move. I'm currently working in Downtown Raleigh (Government District) and renting an apartment off Glenwood just over the Durham County line.

We like our current location, but love walking around downtown Raleigh on my days off. I also ride a small motorcycle (584cc), which has trouble keeping up with traffic on Glenwood, which has forced me to only use it for putzing around the Brier Creek area, but I would love to start using it for my daily commute like I used to.

We are looking for a place at or under $130k with only one floor (which seems to be the hardest part).
The places that keep coming up when i look at listing sites are Garner (a bit more expensive for what you get but half the distance to my work) and Clayton (more for your money but further away).

My questions follow:
How bad is the commute from Garner and Clayton respectively to the area around the Executive Mansion? I have looked at Google Maps, but have also seen commute horror stories. I would probably try to take Bus. 70 to Timber/Hammond for the commute and avoid 70 proper. (my bike does fine up to 55-60mph, but shakes really bad if I go any faster)

Is there a specific time of year when it's comparatively more of a buyer's market (we're looking at late winter/early spring for closing)?

How do I even start this process and how early should I start? Should I talk to lenders or realtors first, and how do I even find a realtor who knows first time home buyer programs and the VA home loan system well?

Am I even asking good questions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2015, 10:27 AM

62 posts, read 131,420 times
Check out the neighborhoods off of Old Garner Rd. in Garner, super easy commute to downtown Raleigh and safe affordable housing..lots of opportunities for first time home buyers. The more expensive homes have been renovated but the super cheap homes need fixing up, lots of flipping opportunities. Seeing more urbanites interested in access to downtown, but wanting a little land and peace moving into these communities.

The NC Housing Financing Agency may be able to help you with your home buying programs or finding a realtor:
Home Buyers

Old 07-21-2015, 02:06 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,031,370 times
I live in Garner and drive by the Governor's place almost everyday taking my daughter to school in Raleigh. From my house off hwy 70 to there takes approx 15 minutes(with several red lights). Hammond and Garner road would both be reasonable to travel on your bike. With the exception of Garners Cleveland rd/42 area most of it is very convenient to downtown. Hammond turns into Person/Blount street right before you cross MLK avenue which is considered downtown proper.

Last edited by cyn7cyn; 07-21-2015 at 02:15 PM..

Old 07-21-2015, 02:39 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,249,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyn7cyn View Post
I live in Garner and drive by the Governor's place almost everyday taking my daughter to school in Raleigh. From my house off hwy 70 to there takes approx 15 minutes(with several red lights). Hammond and Garner road would both be reasonable to travel on your bike. With the exception of Garners Cleveland rd/42 area most of it is very convenient to downtown. Hammond turns into Person/Blount street right before you cross MLK avenue which is considered downtown proper.
Hey cyn7cyn! I have clients that want to live in Garner but they have been checking out the schools and are not impressed with them. I've told them we can look in the Johnston County side of Garner but that is a bit further than they want to live.

Is your daughter in school in Garner? Thoughts? Thanks!

Old 07-22-2015, 06:29 AM

4 posts, read 3,421 times
So far, Garner sounds like the place to go. I'm not really concerned about the schools, as my wife and I don't plan to have kids. We're also not particularly worried about crime with the exceptions of home break-ins and vehicle theft, both of which appear to be effectively non-issues with the exceptions of certain parts of Raleigh and Durham.

My biggest concerns are access to downtown (work), single story living (I sometimes have trouble with my arthritis), price (I'd like to actually be able to pay all my bills for some reason), and space (I need at least two of the bedrooms to be large and most of what I'm seeing is 10x10 to 11x11, which is just too small for our furniture).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary