Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 10:56 AM

42 posts, read 113,476 times

Advertisements

I've been reading some threads this weekend and notice how helpful your feedback is, so thanks in advance.

my fiance' and i are planning to relocate from the DC suburbs to NC.

our motivation in moving is based on just wanting a change and a new start and enjoying a better cost of living. dc is outrageous as far as housing and affordability.

I plan to visit and continue my research on the best place for us but I'm leaning toward the Triangle area.

any suggestions on an ideal place for us based on the following criteria:

*we want to be reasonably safe and in a diverse area. young professional or family area.

*we'd like to be within close proximity to the city but are comfortable living in the 'burbs. best of both worlds would be great.

*we're in our later 30s. our party hard days are just about over but we appreciate a little nightlife a couple times a month.

*we want affordable housing. we plan to rent a 2-3 bedroom apartment or townhouse (something around $900).

*i work in advertising/marketing, he works in transportation as a city bus driver but we have aspirations to start and grow our own business.

*overall we welcome a change in scenery and the opportunity to see a little fruits of our labor. like i said, dc is very expensive and we're a little over it.

if there's any additional info i can provide, please let me know. thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2008, 11:01 AM

169 posts, read 419,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by From DC to NC View Post
I've been reading some threads this weekend and notice how helpful your feedback is, so thanks in advance.

my fiance' and i are planning to relocate from the DC suburbs to NC.

our motivation in moving is based on just wanting a change and a new start and enjoying a better cost of living. dc is outrageous as far as housing and affordability.

I plan to visit and continue my research on the best place for us but I'm leaning toward the Triangle area.

any suggestions on an ideal place for us based on the following criteria:

*we want to be reasonably safe and in a diverse area. young professional or family area.

*we'd like to be within close proximity to the city but are comfortable living in the 'burbs. best of both worlds would be great.

*we're in our later 30s. our party hard days are just about over but we appreciate a little nightlife a couple times a month.

*we want affordable housing. we plan to rent a 2-3 bedroom apartment or townhouse (something around $900).

*i work in advertising/marketing, he works in transportation as a city bus driver but we have aspirations to start and grow our own business.

*overall we welcome a change in scenery and the opportunity to see a little fruits of our labor. like i said, dc is very expensive and we're a little over it.

if there's any additional info i can provide, please let me know. thanks again!
Good luck in your search. I don't hide the fact that I hate DC, so I think you'll find the change quite nice! I am not an expert on the triangle area or renting, so I will let someone else chime in.

Old 01-23-2008, 11:05 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,170,204 times
Try Northridge Crossings apts. Safe, spacious, convenient, in your budget.

We've been there 4 years.

Old 01-23-2008, 12:04 PM

thanks tex - what area of NC are you familiar with?

Old 01-23-2008, 12:05 PM

saturn fan - what city is northridge crossings in?

Old 01-23-2008, 12:43 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,170,204 times
North Raleigh, a few blocks from Triangle Town Center mall.

Old 01-23-2008, 01:04 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,060,843 times
I think there are tons of places all over the Triangle that could meet your needs. Your biggest limitations will be where you work (and how far of a commute you're willing to make) and your price range.

I live in southwestern Durham and I think it suits your needs very well. It's fairly suburban in feel, close to lots of shopping & entertainment options, quiet, and affordable. I saw in another thread that you're interested in Chapel Hill, but I think it's out of your price range. Most of the properties there that fit your budget are aimed at college students. However, if you live in southwestern Durham, you can live very close to all of the ammenities that Chapel Hill and southern Durham have to offer and pay less.

It's just one option. Maybe others can offer more.

Old 01-23-2008, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSteel View Post
I think there are tons of places all over the Triangle that could meet your needs. Your biggest limitations will be where you work (and how far of a commute you're willing to make) and your price range.

I live in southwestern Durham and I think it suits your needs very well. It's fairly suburban in feel, close to lots of shopping & entertainment options, quiet, and affordable. I saw in another thread that you're interested in Chapel Hill, but I think it's out of your price range. Most of the properties there that fit your budget are aimed at college students. However, if you live in southwestern Durham, you can live very close to all of the ammenities that Chapel Hill and southern Durham have to offer and pay less.

It's just one option. Maybe others can offer more.

thanks mrs.steel. this is helpful info.

Old 01-23-2008, 01:36 PM

131 posts, read 726,274 times
Check out Raleigh Home Rentals & Cary Real Estate & Relocation Help Desk for a list of townhomes and homes that are for rent in Raleigh. I used this website and the services of the property management group twice when I rented townhomes on two seperate occasions. They are very helpful and some of the rentals are a great deal (see Lynn Townes Court townhomes).

Old 01-23-2008, 03:28 PM

169 posts, read 419,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by From DC to NC View Post
thanks tex - what area of NC are you familiar with?
Clayton, which is on the Southwest outskirts of Raleigh. Doesn't take long to get into Raleigh, but it sounded like you were looking for something more central.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary