Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 12:22 PM

10 posts, read 10,378 times

Advertisements

Anyone know if the HOA would be open to adding a 1 car garage onto homes without any garage? I am not an advocate for cutting trees, but if there were a way to maintain the natural feel while adding on, wondering if many lots even have room for this? Having a 1 car garage is a must for us, but seeing the options offered, the homes that have them are limited.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2015, 12:40 PM

635 posts, read 1,617,530 times
This is more in West Durham, but you might check out the original section of American Village (the newer Colony and Greenway sections have a much higher price point). The original section has homes built from the mid-80s to early 90s - lots of families, neighborhood park, no HOA. The houses range from about 1800-2800 sq feet, some with no garages, some with one, some with two. Prices are variable obviously depending on sq footage, updating, garage status, etc but typically run in the low to mid/upper 200s. Last year there were a ton of homes for sale in the neighborhood but this year barely any. It's in a quiet area beside the Duke forest with very easy access to I-85, downtown and the Durham Freeway, and both North and South Durham attractions/shopping/restaurants.

Old 07-29-2015, 06:29 PM

285 posts, read 493,293 times
Quote:
Anyone know if the HOA would be open to adding a 1 car garage onto homes without any garage? I am not an advocate for cutting trees, but if there were a way to maintain the natural feel while adding on, wondering if many lots even have room for this? Having a 1 car garage is a must for us, but seeing the options offered, the homes that have them are limited.
It is possible to add a garage to your home in Woodcroft, if you get the approval of the ARB (Architectural Review Board). Here's a link to their page: Woodcroft ARB. I don't love the idea of having to get approval to make changes to my own house, but, in my experience, the members of the ARB have always been very reasonable.

Old 07-29-2015, 07:30 PM

10 posts, read 10,378 times
Thanks so much, everyone! Looking forward to this change for us, in whatever neighborhood we land in that area of Durham. I will check all of them out and keep in mind what can/can't be changed, etc... Good to know there is some flexibility!

Old 07-31-2015, 10:34 AM

4,003 posts, read 10,842,401 times
My in-laws built their house in the early 80's over there and added an oversized two car garage many years ago with no problem. It is set back and looks great. Foundation settlement issues are really common in that area, so something to keep an eye out for. Many have already been repaired though, and those that haven't certainly can be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary