Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 09:10 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,766,326 times

Advertisements

That's because most of it is not in the Town's control.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2015, 10:38 AM

252 posts, read 275,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc99 View Post
I feel Morrisville town council is a bit slow to react! Every time we take issue, they wash their hands off that it is not under the town's control!
I suspect much like the issues we are dealing with in Holly Springs, the roads that are very congested are the responsibility of NCDOT and the town has very little if not 0 control over them.

Old 09-02-2015, 12:35 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc99 View Post
How many of you are interested in a private meeting at the library on louis stephens to discuss the problems and approach the town with solutions ?
Suggest you locate Cary resident Tony Tata's replacement at NC DOT, and meet him over a meal at an eatery in the middle of rush hour. Consider Smithfield's or something.

NC DOT needs help prioritizing projects.

and, ask this guy to attend, to take notes:
NCDOT: Mike Charbonneau - Deputy Secretary of Communications

Old 09-02-2015, 02:12 PM

656 posts, read 1,208,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
That's because most of it is not in the Town's control.
I feel that the people elect the town council and they should take up their town's residents issue to the concerned State dept.

Old 09-02-2015, 02:20 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,766,326 times
How long have you lived here? Do you live in the town of Morrisviile?

As I said, call or email Mr Howell with your concerns. He actually spends a good deal of time dealing with NCDOT on these issues and is one of the representatives on CAMPO which prioritizes roads in the area.

He worked directly with the NCDOT and is probably chiefly responsible for the fact that they agreed to do several mini projects as part of the Morrisville parkway grade separation project to help traffic when they close it for several months. These include lengthening the left turn lanes from Chapel Hill rd to Weston and Davis to Morrisville Pkwy to allow for more storage capacity when cars have to use that during the detour and also (if the slow DOT and their contractor will ever finish it) adding a turn lane at Morrisville Carpenter and Town Hall drive. These projects will help during the shut down, but also help all the time as these were project areas.

The town has, along with Cary spent a few hundred thousand dollars to pay and get DOT to have an outside consultant study and start preliminary design on widening 54 from 540 to Cary Parkway. The DOT wouldn't even look at it until then.

They have passed a bond and begun the process to build the 54 bypass/ McCrimmon to Evans connector.

They are in the process of attempting to secure federal funding to widen Morrisville Carpenter from where it narrows just before Morrisville Square shopping center to the rail intersection including adding a right turn lane all the way by removing the one odd house. (The railroad will not allow the town more lanes across the tracks. This will also include a median stopping turning traffic in and out of Page and Church streets from screwing things up.

Last year, the town staff probably spent a couple hundred hours along with a citizen committee that met about a dozen times looking into ways to obtain funding for roads, including bringing in experts in municipal funding to help.

I have found all of the council members and the mayor to be quite willing to talk to citizens about it so contact them, but believe me they hear almost every day and have to drive in it every day so they know the issues and have talked until being blue in the face with NCDOT about it.

Last edited by Sherifftruman; 09-02-2015 at 02:36 PM..

Old 09-03-2015, 04:09 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,831,626 times
As I posted in another thread:

Morrisville has it particularly bad because it's right at the center of everything. Basically you have to drive through Morrisville to get from anywhere to anywhere. They have an outsized amount of through traffic compared to their population.

All towns around here wind up putting some property tax money towards fixing some problems with state roads. Cary put quite a few million dollars toward the Davis widening a few years back for example. Morrisville does the same, spending money on the Morrisville-Carpenter railroad crossing a few years back, and they even passed a bond issue for the McCrimmon-Evans connector - so they're doing their part. But the through traffic in Morrisville is so bad that they just can't dig themselves out, and they are only about one eighth the population of Cary, so they don't have as many resources to throw at the problem.

This is where I put the blame on NCDOT and CAMPO. They have let the problem get this bad in the first place and as more development pops up on NC54 it will only get more expensive to widen it. Did you guys see the crazy six-lane near expressway design they put out a few months ago? The scope of the proposed fix is getting so big I wonder if they'll ever find the money to build it. Maybe they think the TriEx solves the problem, but there's probably at least 100k people in Cary and Morrisville for whom going all the way to I-40 or NC540 to get to RTP is a massive detour, and Davis/55 are already close to the breaking point even in spite of widening them both in the past decade.

Old 09-05-2015, 07:05 AM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,727,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orulz View Post
Maybe they think the TriEx solves the problem, but there's probably at least 100k people in Cary and Morrisville for whom going all the way to I-40 or NC540 to get to RTP is a massive detour, and Davis/55 are already close to the breaking point even in spite of widening them both in the past decade.
It would help if they could actually get around to extending the Triangle Parkway (NC 147) stubbed terminus to Town Hall / McCrimmon. That'd make my commute every day so simple. I could avoid so much terrible traffic.

Old 09-05-2015, 07:32 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
It would help if they could actually get around to extending the Triangle Parkway (NC 147) stubbed terminus to Town Hall / McCrimmon. That'd make my commute every day so simple. I could avoid so much terrible traffic.
Everytime i see that sign there I think how that would solve so many traffic problems.

Old 09-05-2015, 07:43 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,334,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
They should have built a ghost bridge over NC-540, so all they would really need to do is build the road part down to McCrimmon, but I guess they didn't have the money. At least they built bridges in the fly-over ramps on NC-147/NC-540 connector, so the extension can go under them.

Old 09-05-2015, 07:55 AM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,727,899 times
Here's the CAMPO study w/ maps for the Triangle Parkway Extension, including alternative routes if anyone is interested from 2014:

http://www.campo-nc.us/hotspots/FY13...l-01232014.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary