Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2015, 04:11 PM

20 posts, read 24,968 times

Advertisements

After realizing I could no longer afford Manhattan (due to aging out of my insane job), I moved to Wilmington to be closer to family. Threw myself into meetup.com and UNCW OLLI, met lots of people, but keep going back to Manhattan every chance I get.

What I miss most:

Good music (ie, jazz and Latin jazz)
Being able to walk everywhere, or take public transportation
Being surrounded by people (I moved to the suburbs -- HUGE mistake -- tomb-quiet here.)
Availability of intellectually-stimulating courses for older folks
Availability of single retirees with whom to hang
Being able to fly NONSTOP somewhere, instead of hopping, skipping, jumping...

And I'd like a fireplace and a front porch.

Is there anywhere in the Triangle that comes close? I am particularly interested in Duke and surrounding area, although when reading materials published by City of Durham, well, it seems like just more conservative, Southern, NOT-New Yorkness. So to speak.

Thanks in advance for all thoughts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2015, 04:41 PM

22,670 posts, read 36,804,509 times
You want Manhattan with a fireplace and a front porch. Not happening anywhere, including Manhattan, but most of your list screams "NYC is my one and only". Either accept that you've been priced out or decide to live poor up there.
There is no other Manhattan.

Old 09-20-2015, 04:46 PM

9,779 posts, read 15,793,171 times
My guess is that you will like Durham better than Wilmington but not as much as Manhattan. I think it will have more of what you want - there will be music, some walkability, intellectually-stimulating courses, and maybe single retireees nearby, but you won't have the ability to walk everywhere or take public transportation (save for some bus routes); there will not be people out and about as much as in NYC, retired seniors might be mostly in 55-and over communities rather than downtown, and there will be far fewer places to fly non-stop than from NYC. You can probably get the fireplace and front porch. And it might be good compromise, but yeah definitely not New Yorkness. ;-)

Old 09-20-2015, 04:55 PM

297 posts, read 740,749 times
Durham is almost as liberal, at least politically, as Chapel Hill. I'm not sure how it compares to Manhattan, but in most elections, it's about 75% democratic. Sorry, but that's about as liberal as NC goes!

Old 09-20-2015, 05:17 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,892,650 times
DT Raleigh is much nicer than durham. New apartments flying up all over the place. Walkability is a challenge if you are shopping for groceries...as for the rest, it depends on what you want to walk to, right? There are plenty of great venues for the arts in Raleigh, NCSU has a great OLLI program and you will never run out of things to do in Raleigh.

Old 09-20-2015, 05:24 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,341,675 times
I vehemently disagree and love downtown Durham much more than downtown Raleigh. It's fantastic.

Old 09-20-2015, 05:29 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,383,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieNYC View Post
After realizing I could no longer afford Manhattan (due to aging out of my insane job), I moved to Wilmington to be closer to family. Threw myself into meetup.com and UNCW OLLI, met lots of people, but keep going back to Manhattan every chance I get.

What I miss most:

Good music (ie, jazz and Latin jazz)
Being able to walk everywhere, or take public transportation
Being surrounded by people (I moved to the suburbs -- HUGE mistake -- tomb-quiet here.)
Availability of intellectually-stimulating courses for older folks
Availability of single retirees with whom to hang
Being able to fly NONSTOP somewhere, instead of hopping, skipping, jumping...

And I'd like a fireplace and a front porch.

[/b]Is there anywhere in the Triangle that comes close? [/b]I am particularly interested in Duke and surrounding area, although when reading materials published by City of Durham, well, it seems like just more conservative, Southern, NOT-New Yorkness. So to speak.

Thanks in advance for all thoughts!
"Is there anywhere in the Triangle that comes close?"

No.

Old 09-20-2015, 05:35 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,502,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
DT Raleigh is much nicer than durham. New apartments flying up all over the place. Walkability is a challenge if you are shopping for groceries...as for the rest, it depends on what you want to walk to, right? There are plenty of great venues for the arts in Raleigh, NCSU has a great OLLI program and you will never run out of things to do in Raleigh.
I strongly disagree, dt Raleigh is relatively boring and filled with government offices and residential apartments. It does have its cool parts surely, but I find dt Durham much more interesting, funky and just more fun.

Last edited by LordHelmit; 09-20-2015 at 06:04 PM..

Old 09-20-2015, 05:38 PM

420 posts, read 452,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I vehemently disagree and love downtown Durham much more than downtown Raleigh. It's fantastic.
Almost always agree with poppydog! Downtown Durham is great!

Old 09-20-2015, 05:56 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,341,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
You want Manhattan with a fireplace and a front porch. Not happening anywhere, including Manhattan, but most of your list screams "NYC is my one and only". Either accept that you've been priced out or decide to live poor up there.
There is no other Manhattan.
This! ^^
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary