Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 05:50 PM

510 posts, read 900,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
What are YOUR monthly expenses currently? Are you living on $3,500 per month now? How much is your rent?

Also, are you retired, or still working?
I'm working, wife is SAHM, two teens (under 18-not working). I will say that my take home pay does vary depending on hours worked. I do take home more than $3500 a month, usually between 4k and 4.2k a month depending on how many hours worked.

extra expenses I've incurred the past 2 months

garbage disposal $90-replaced it myself
brakes for car $150 -new rotors and pads-replaced myself
central air repair--$165
vet bills for old dog $$ too much
car registration--$61.98
school supplies--not sure--didn't keep track
school clothes, shoes

monthly bills

mortgage $1400
gas heat (psnc) $68
cable-internet $170
cell phones (5) $217
water-sewer-garbage- $95
electric bill -120's in winter--240's in summer
car insurance--105 a month for 9 months (no payments June July August to counteract high electric bill)
HOA- $35
medical bills usually run between $300 and $400 a month--not including insurance premium. 3 people with health issues.
gas for car (large SUV)-$160
food & household supplies--I really don't keep track--I know I should--but 4 people I would estimate $700-$800

add it all up and I'm right around $3500; then you have clothing, shoes,etc.---and FWIW I do not have car payments, one car is a 2000 and the other is a 2003. Eventually one will have to be replaced.

I think I got it all. I know I need to be more stringent keeping track of miscellaneous items.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2015, 03:07 AM

12 posts, read 12,277 times
Thanks for all comments! Every comment has been very helpful.

Old 09-23-2015, 06:50 AM

1,279 posts, read 1,722,554 times
If all you have to worry about is living expenses (rent, lights, gas, food, etc.) and nothing like daycare or student loans, I agree with the others that $3500 is very doable.

Good luck in your search.

Old 09-23-2015, 07:15 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,030,069 times
If both of you are working full time jobs you will need 2 cars.
Mass transit is non existent and public transit is unreliable and inconvenient. I'm one of the few posters on here that have had to use it and am familiar with its shortcomings. You might can make it awhile with one vehicle but unless one person works very close to home it would be very frustrating over time.

Old 09-23-2015, 10:23 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,445,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyn7cyn View Post
If both of you are working full time jobs you will need 2 cars.
Mass transit is non existent and public transit is unreliable and inconvenient. I'm one of the few posters on here that have had to use it and am familiar with its shortcomings. You might can make it awhile with one vehicle but unless one person works very close to home it would be very frustrating over time.
A car can cost so little to run in direct and indirect costs (assuming you don't have to pay for parking) that it's not even worth thinking about the alternative (pubic transit). IMO.

Old 09-24-2015, 06:20 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,030,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
A car can cost so little to run in direct and indirect costs (assuming you don't have to pay for parking) that it's not even worth thinking about the alternative (pubic transit). IMO.
Not to "derail" into transportation issues but the biggest negatives to the bus service here are the timing and transfers. If your taking the bus anywhere farther then a couple miles you better just block out most of your day. It's almost impossible to go most places without dedicating at least 3-4 hours of your day. A big deterrent for those with better options.

Young couple,both working full time, using our current bus system you would never see each other.lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: