Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2006, 08:15 AM

28 posts, read 77,147 times

Advertisements

My name is Robert and I am new to the forum. I have been reading the posts in the last few days and I am impressed by all of the information that I have read.

I currently live in NYC and like everyone else I am looking to relocate to NC. I am moving with my GF, 10 yr old son, and her parents. The three areas I am looking into are

1) Holly Springs
2) Apex
3) Clayton

I have been doing tons of research and we are all coming up there in August for 4 days to check out the areas.

I would love to live in a community, were as my future in-laws would like to live in a rural area. The want to be all alone by them selves.

Thanks for all of your information.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2006, 09:41 PM

49 posts, read 169,780 times
Hello Robert, welcome to the boards. My name is Sean and hope you have read the posts, Information about Clayton as well as the one on Flowers Plantation. Clayton and Apex are the closer two to Raleigh, Holly Springs is rather a small town with not much to do and is the furthest of the 3 from Raleigh. I'm sure all three you would find what you are looking for in housing for both you and your parents.

I can't give you much info on any but Clayton. But when you come down to check out the three towns you may want to find a hotel on the southside of Raleigh. Apex is southwest, Holly Springs to the south, and Clayton to the southeast. Please let me know if you have questions about Clayton and will try to answer the best I can.

Old 07-01-2006, 04:22 PM

4,975 posts, read 11,698,914 times
Hello Robert, we lived in Apex while looking for a house. Apex is nice, but getting expensive. There are lots of shops and restaurants and a very nice, quaint downtown area. It's the busiest town of the 3 you mentioned. We almost had a house built in Clayton. It's a more rural area, but also seemed like a nice town. We decided to buy in Holly Springs. It's about 10 minutes south of Apex. We decided to buy in a subdivison with larger lots than you'll find in a lot of the developments in the area. Also, there is a new high school and elementary school being built. Out of the towns you mentioned, I believe that Clayton would be the most rural. Good luck with your move!

Old 07-02-2006, 07:30 PM

Opps, sorry ringrass, I was thinking of willow springs not holly springs. Since I don't know a thing about Holly Springs maybe holt4fam can give you more insite.

Old 07-03-2006, 10:04 AM

28 posts, read 77,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greybridge
Hello Robert, welcome to the boards. My name is Sean and hope you have read the posts, Information about Clayton as well as the one on Flowers Plantation. Clayton and Apex are the closer two to Raleigh, Holly Springs is rather a small town with not much to do and is the furthest of the 3 from Raleigh. I'm sure all three you would find what you are looking for in housing for both you and your parents.

I can't give you much info on any but Clayton. But when you come down to check out the three towns you may want to find a hotel on the southside of Raleigh. Apex is southwest, Holly Springs to the south, and Clayton to the southeast. Please let me know if you have questions about Clayton and will try to answer the best I can.

Hey Sean,

Thanks for the info. We are leaning towards Clayton. My future wife has a 10 year old son and she heard that if you go to the schools in the Wake county they bus and change you all around. When we arrive we are staying in Cary. The first place we are going to is the Flowers Plantation. Thanks again for your info.

Old 07-03-2006, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringrass
Hey Sean,

Thanks for the info. We are leaning towards Clayton. My future wife has a 10 year old son and she heard that if you go to the schools in the Wake county they bus and change you all around. When we arrive we are staying in Cary. The first place we are going to is the Flowers Plantation. Thanks again for your info.

Robert, if you look under the Clayton rental post, there is someone else who is also looking to move into the East Clayton Elementary school area. I'm sure your Fiancee would like to know if she is moving into an area where she won't have to be concerned about redistricting the schools alot. Her son will be attending that school for possibly a couple of years before moving on to middle school. Here is their site: www.johnston.k12.nc.us/web/SCHOOLS/s336/index.htm (broken link)

Also here is the site for the current school districts in Johnston County: http://www.johnston.k12.nc.us/PR_Forms/AttBnd(05-06).pdf (broken link)

You will need adobe to view the map and takes awhile to upload even on broadband. If you zoom in on the light purple area just to the east side of Clayton township that will be East Clayton elementary school district. If you zoom in further on the upper right side of that light purple district you will see Neuse River(Parkway). That road is where Flowers Plantation is located. The school is located about halfway between Castleberry and Neuse River Parkway on Hwy 42. On the corners of 42 and NRP is a Food Lion shopping center as well as several small strip malls. Behind that and leading into the FP area is a community swimming pool. Also along NRP is a wide walking path that goes (from what I can tell from the road) from the pool as far back to Plantation Pointe, the last subdivision in that schools district.

NRP changes to South Murphey road at Motorcycle road, as you can see that changes to Riverwood schools. That may also be an option for you, as the Riverwood schools are good also. Depending on how much time you have/take you should check out the Riverwood subdivisions also. As far as ones in East Clayton District, to stay there, I would suggest those near the school including ones along Glen Laurel road. Neuse Colony(if you have alot of green) across the shopping centers on 42, Bennet Place across from the school, Forest Glen, Glen Laurel, Glen Ridge all along Glen Laurel Road, Windsor Green off of Vinson Road, and Greenlyn off Powatan. They all have very nice preexisting homes (many for sale) as well as some new builds.

Good Luck on your Venture!

Old 07-03-2006, 09:19 PM

Oh also there is River Hills and Stewarts Knob off of Castleberry Road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary