Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2015, 08:00 AM

187 posts, read 803,743 times

Advertisements

Writing as a concerned Panther Creek parent. I was upset that the school didn't notify parents before this hit the media but have come to find out the Principal can't discuss suspensions of students to other parents but with police involved the story became public... Here is the WRAL link:
Panther Creek student arrested, had 'hit list'
Panther Creek student arrested, had 'hit list' :: WRAL.com

Now, what is wcpss policy once a student is suspended for threats against other students, probable gun threats? Will they have a plan in place to help this student before they allow him back in school when his suspension is over??? The article reads as if he was arrested for assaulting another student too, a girl? Article also reads as the dad is in denial about the access to guns in his home. If they are there the boy will get to them if he wants to use them that's just a reality. Article mentions student was depressed. I honestly hope he gets the helps he needs but I'm totally not comfortable with him going back to school without any help while my child is at the same school

Last edited by dianeh; 10-14-2015 at 08:04 AM.. Reason: Misspellings in title
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2015, 08:31 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,280,152 times
My guess: He won't be back this year. Not sure how they'll handle it from there. He can take classes from home via the Internet.

They've suspended kids for months for far less than this kid seems to have done.

I hope he gets help. It sounds like he needs it.

Old 10-14-2015, 09:51 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,256,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
My guess: He won't be back this year. Not sure how they'll handle it from there. He can take classes from home via the Internet.

They've suspended kids for months for far less than this kid seems to have done.

I hope he gets help. It sounds like he needs it.
I hope he gets help too. I wonder if these kids have any idea as to how these stupid ideas will change their lives forever. And, the lives of their parents.

Although I will say, I wasn't too thrilled with the dad's comments that he THINKS the kid doesn't know the combo to the gun safe.

Old 10-14-2015, 10:25 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,349,409 times
Can you ask the principal in general terms what the policy is? I understand their hands are somewhat tied regarding privacy issues and discussing specific students, but could they say what their policy is if a student threatens to bring a gun to school?

Old 10-14-2015, 11:00 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,256,639 times
WCPSS: Board Policy - Code of Student Conduct (6410)

Old 10-14-2015, 11:18 AM

22,672 posts, read 36,820,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
I hope he gets help too. I wonder if these kids have any idea as to how these stupid ideas will change their lives forever. And, the lives of their parents.

Although I will say, I wasn't too thrilled with the dad's comments that he THINKS the kid doesn't know the combo to the gun safe.
I thought the same thing. I also thought "that means he DOES have the combo".

Old 10-14-2015, 11:56 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,280,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I thought the same thing. I also thought "that means he DOES have the combo".
I think Dad needs to change that combo. You can always change the combo on a safe.

Old 10-14-2015, 12:22 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,449,591 times
When a kid had a hit list at my school growing up, only students and parents of students on the list were notified. The guilty student wasn't allowed back at school, period. I think he had to go to an alternative school or some such thing. AFAIK, it never hit the news. For better or for worse, arrests are public record and once he goes into the Police Station, its in the public domain.

I'm not sure I wouldn't feel differently if I had kids there, but I certainly understand the school's need to respect privacy of a Juvenile.

If I were dad I think my gun collection would be going to a friend's safe for a while.

Old 10-14-2015, 12:43 PM

544 posts, read 852,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianeh View Post
Writing as a concerned Panther Creek parent. I was upset that the school didn't notify parents before this hit the media but have come to find out the Principal can't discuss suspensions of students to other parents
The Family Educational Privacy and Rights Act (FERPA) is very restrictive in what information can be released.

Ex: Schools are not permitted to say what kind of punishment a student received and sometimes won't even say there was a punishment -- instead they will point to board policy -- which describes the violation and the potential punishments. Even if it's been in the media. The reporters know this and use other sources.

Not saying this is right or wrong, just that FEPRA is the reason.

Old 10-14-2015, 01:27 PM

9,361 posts, read 14,123,174 times
Please note that there are two sides of every story. The kid may have been frightened by other kids and trying to appear scary back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary