Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2008, 05:20 PM

120 posts, read 549,320 times

Advertisements

Hi! Can anyone tell me some small towns located between Raleigh and Durham? My husband and I relocated to Garner last year and would like to live in a somewhat rural location in an older (early 20th century) home in the next few years. My husband works at RTP and would like to have a commute around 30 minutes. Can you help us with this? Also, we are interested in homes under $175,000. We love many of the historic homes in Louisburg, NC and the price tags are amazing, but it's too far. Maybe we're asking too much, but we'd love to live somewhere that's progressive, has a rural feel but some restaurants and shopping, decent commute to Raleigh and RTP, a charming historic district, and good schools. Does this even exist? Any help would be great. Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2008, 05:26 PM

502 posts, read 1,740,346 times
Just out of curiosity, how far is your commute now to RTP?

Old 02-01-2008, 05:30 PM

3,395 posts, read 7,771,836 times
I'd look to Apex. It might take awhile until something hit the market that you liked. But there are some really nice historic homes within walking distance of the downtown. Mine was a bit out of this range, but was on a main street and in good shape and a decent size. If you can compromise on any of those factors, you should be able to find something. I had good commutes to both Raleigh and RTP (worked in both during the time I lived there).

Old 02-01-2008, 05:39 PM

420 posts, read 1,535,051 times
Depending on where in RTP you are headed, it might even work to look at properties on the west side of the triangle, out Hillsoborough/Efland/Mebane way. Mebane in particular has some very good deals and is an old mill town under going something of a revival. There are some nice older homes around the down town area. I've seen prices from mid 100s-400s, depending on the property.

If a countryish property is of interest, you might pay attention to Efland. It is literally minutes to Hillsborough and close to I-85/40.

All of Efland and Hillsborough and some of Mebane have Orange County schools, which are generally considered pretty good (some of Mebane is in Alamance County and has Alamance schools).

Old 02-01-2008, 05:53 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,437,113 times
Have you considered Zebulon?

Old 02-01-2008, 05:58 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,628,401 times
Get a map of the area where your husband works and draw a circle around his workplace the distance he would want to travel using the inch distance guideline on the map. See what towns are inside your circle and look them up on city data or do a search on the forum of those towns. If there is no information on the towns, you could start a thread. But then, you already started a thread, didn't you. It is always good to give as many specifics as possible when looking for answers.

Old 02-01-2008, 07:50 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,756,502 times
Maybe Pittsboro. It seems to be pretty progressive for a small town in this area. I'm not sure about home prices there. But the "hippy child" in me always feels more at peace there than I have felt anywhere else outside of Oregon. I still haven't figured out why.

Old 02-01-2008, 08:00 PM

87 posts, read 237,401 times
PDXMom- After too much upscale life in Cary, Pittsboro appeals to me too. Fearrington Village is close, there is a new development there with a 'hometown' feel by the name of Powell Place. Houses range in price from the 160's to the upper 300's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary