Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2015, 01:26 PM

31 posts, read 36,589 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I have done some research and have begun to seriously consider North Carolina, specifically the research triangle, as a really good place for me to first visit and then consider moving to. However, I have heard Asheville and Charlotte thrown around in the conversation by many other people too.

That being said, what would you all have to say about safe/unsafe parts/neighborhoods of each of these cities? It's probably helpful to mention that my intended rent would be anywhere from $600-$900 a month (anything cheaper and safe would be cool too, obviously lol). I will also mention that I am not picky about apartments. I am open to older apartments on top of shops, stores, ect. I do have a couple wants:

- I'd prefer 2 BR (potential roommate)
- 1.5/2 bathrooms
- Dryer/washer in the complex itself would be nice but not a deal breaker by any means
- having utilities/electric/ect wrapped up in the rent would be convenient but, again, not a deal breaker
- Safe (neighborhood/building itself)
- Anything among the lines of pool/workout area are unimportant to me.

I'm also really interested in the park districts, music venues (huge concert goer), bars/restaurants and general things to do in each city (if you all don't mind filling me in).

The Chapel Hill/Durham/Raleigh area is my first interest followed by Asheville and then Charlotte. Any info and/or suggestions would be great! Thanks all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2015, 02:42 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,032,596 times
Ok first your budget needs adjusted. For a 2 bedrooms think $800-900 to start and plan on 1k+ unless you go studio or one bedroom.
Those are probably not going to be your nicest apartments either. Hate to break that to you. I'd do the roommate thing if having somewhere safer,newer or any amenities are important to you. There aren't many apartments above shops setups here. The ones we have are new construction and cost $$$$. Not urban enough to have lots of older walkups and cheap studio housing.

Old 10-25-2015, 05:02 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,717,676 times
I lived in an older apartment complex in North Raleigh. My 2br 1ba was around $800/mo. Rent prices are stupid expensive in Raleigh, especially considering what average salaries are.

Old 10-26-2015, 08:48 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,032,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I lived in an older apartment complex in North Raleigh. My 2br 1ba was around $800/mo. Rent prices are stupid expensive in Raleigh, especially considering what average salaries are.
Just curious how long ago that was? Rents have increased outrageously in the last few years. In less then five years one of my rents went from $700-$1100 for the same house with some minor renovations and no additional square footage. This wasn't even in one of the swanky parts of Raleigh.

Old 10-26-2015, 04:43 PM

31 posts, read 36,589 times
Hi all,

Thanks for your responses. I've been hearing two different stories as far as rent/cost of living goes in the research triangle area. One of my previous threads had people suggest the Chapel Hill/Durham/Raleigh area as relatively cheap. Anyone have more info/clarification?

Old 10-26-2015, 05:18 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,717,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyn7cyn View Post
Just curious how long ago that was? Rents have increased outrageously in the last few years. In less then five years one of my rents went from $700-$1100 for the same house with some minor renovations and no additional square footage. This wasn't even in one of the swanky parts of Raleigh.
It was 8 years ago. Even back then, my rent would go up at least $85/mo each year.

When I moved to Greenville, my rent stayed the same for the 3 years that I was in my apartment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenlamb45 View Post
Hi all,

Thanks for your responses. I've been hearing two different stories as far as rent/cost of living goes in the research triangle area. One of my previous threads had people suggest the Chapel Hill/Durham/Raleigh area as relatively cheap. Anyone have more info/clarification?
I never know why this information gets spread around. Maybe because the people coming down from up North find it cheap. But for natives, the rent and housing costs have been increasing to ridiculous amounts. Especially when you consider that I rented a decent 1br apartment in Greenville for $400 a month. It was less than 5 years old and safe. $400 in Raleigh won't get you a studio.

Old 10-26-2015, 05:22 PM

530 posts, read 638,196 times
Most people who move to the Triangle are moving from places that are far more expensive then here (commonly New York/New Jersey). Therefore, this area is cheap.

However if coming from a place where the cost of living is not expensive, this area is not cheap. It probably has the most expensive housing/apartments in North Carolina.

However you say potential roommate? If you mean a two bedroom apartment with a roommate where your share of the rent is 600-900 that is most certainly doable for a nice apartment.

Old 10-26-2015, 11:04 PM

131 posts, read 144,979 times
I have some ideas of places in Raleigh under and around $800, but that depends on how close you want to live to college students. Because almost all the places I would mention mostly cater to either undergrads, or graduate students. Some of them are nice places though! Mine has a gym, and a pool, and food trucks and whatnot. Utilities are wrapped up in rent, and each roommate has their own en suite.

But I'm in my early 20's, and don't mind roommates or living with (mostly) other 20 somethings.

Old 10-27-2015, 01:03 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,836,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenlamb45 View Post
Hi all,

Chapel Hill is the most expensive part of the state. Durham may be slightly less, but housing prices are based on supply and demand, and this is the most booming area in the country, so--you do the math. Folks moving here from up north accustomed to paying MUCH more, along with a steady supply of new residents, drive up the prices in the Triangle. Any place that is the "most desired" part of its state/area is going to be the most expensive, natch.

Your budget is not on par with this area, and probably not Asheville or Charlotte either--the 3 most booming parts of the state.

Where did you hear that this is a "relatively cheap" area? Compared to a huge metropolis like DC, NY, Chicago etc maybe...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary