Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2015, 10:17 AM

69 posts, read 182,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
I sent you a DM!
Thank you, I got it! Sorry, I forgot I was in the vegetarian thread and not the original home location thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2015, 03:53 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,162,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atony View Post
It's important to remember that data analysis like this one always done on a per capita basis. The Durham/Chapel Hill metro is 540k people. The Austin metro is about 4.3 million people. If this area had more vegetarian restaurants than Austin, something would be seriously weird lol.
That's a good one! Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha

Austin's metro is still under 2 million.

Old 10-27-2015, 08:54 AM

644 posts, read 842,330 times
What rubbish. I am a vegetarian and this area is among the least vegetarian friendly areas I have been in. I lived in New Haven, CT before and the vegetarian/vegan culture was a lot more prevalent. The city that I found with the greatest vegetarian/vegan friendliness is Berkeley, CA. Don't get me wrong. I love the food offerings here. I really enjoy eating at the Indian restaurants (Cholanad is the best South Indian restaurant I have been to in the US), Med Deli and Remedy Diner. I also definitely endorse the warm service here. But, vegetarian friendly? Nah.

Old 10-28-2015, 12:11 PM

2,424 posts, read 3,537,164 times
""Processed meat ranks alongside smoking as major cause of cancer, World Health Organisation [WHO] says," The Daily Telegraph reports. It has been ranked as a group one carcinogen – the same ranking as cigarettes, alcohol and asbestos. "

That includes BBQ (smoked).

Old 10-28-2015, 01:04 PM

613 posts, read 746,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhm5 View Post
""Processed meat ranks alongside smoking as major cause of cancer, World Health Organisation [WHO] says," The Daily Telegraph reports. It has been ranked as a group one carcinogen – the same ranking as cigarettes, alcohol and asbestos. "

That includes BBQ (smoked).
Good comment. But I think most of us eat it in moderation. As an older poster, 50, I would to say that vegetable gardens of my youth have almost completely disappeared. They used to be everywhere. Not to mention the farm land around our towns that are reverting back to trees.

Old 10-28-2015, 04:23 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,030,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos_Danger View Post
Good comment. But I think most of us eat it in moderation. As an older poster, 50, I would to say that vegetable gardens of my youth have almost completely disappeared. They used to be everywhere. Not to mention the farm land around our towns that are reverting back to trees.
Within the last 10 years I've seen a big increase in gardening. Maybe it depends on the area but my last neighborhood had quite a few of them. Chickens are big in Raleigh too. The whole foodie and home grown movement has played a big part in reintroducing gardens back into people's yards.

Old 10-28-2015, 04:50 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,381,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyn7cyn View Post
Within the last 10 years I've seen a big increase in gardening. Maybe it depends on the area but my last neighborhood had quite a few of them. Chickens are big in Raleigh too. The whole foodie and home grown movement has played a big part in reintroducing gardens back into people's yards.
Absolutely. Far more backyard gardens than 20 or 30 years ago. Community gardens are big now too.

Old 10-28-2015, 06:15 PM

2,424 posts, read 3,537,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos_Danger View Post
Not hard at all to get veggies from local farmer, organic also. If you are vegan like me, you obviously know where they all are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary