Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2015, 02:19 PM

46 posts, read 194,019 times

Advertisements

Hi,

If your child/ preschooler is somewhat reserved , less social outside of home or known environment,
Is it reasonable to expect preschool teacher to give your child more one on one attention or more personalized instructions?
My child most times comes with empty school worksheets and when i asked teacher she said
My child doesn't ask for help. Is it reasonable to expect school
Teacher to explain or be more one on one with my child so that he can be more comfortable and open up??

P.s i teach my child to ask for help and be more social but
My child doesnt talk or open up with new people on own.
With people we know he is a chatterbox
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2015, 03:46 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,341,675 times
I don't really think so. It is reasonable for the teacher to try to draw your child out, but not at the expense of spending time with other children. Your child doesn't deserve 20 minutes of the teacher's time versus 2 minutes for another kid.

I think it would be reasonable for you to see if you can work with the teacher to set up a short amount of one on one time with her/him after school (maybe 5 minutes at most — teachers have lives after school too) just to get your child to be more comfortable with the teacher, so that he might open up more with the teacher during school time. It might also be a good idea to try to get together with classmates after school, too, if he's shy around them. Maybe just stay an extra 30 minutes to play on the playground or something like that.

Old 11-04-2015, 05:51 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,341,738 times
I think it depends on the school. I would look for one with a low student teacher ratio for 2 reasons, it gives the teachers greater ability to work with your child and the setting would be less intimidating to your child. My child went from a 2:20 ratio to 2:14 ratio. BIG difference. Obviously, I do not have all the details but it could be this program is not the best fit for your child.

Old 11-04-2015, 07:26 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,581,720 times
About what are you spending a month on childcare?

Old 11-05-2015, 05:20 AM

46 posts, read 194,019 times
1100$ A month

Old 11-05-2015, 06:06 AM

6,885 posts, read 7,892,650 times
I wouldn't send my kid to a preschool that required my child to finish worksheets. Worksheets should be a choice, but to send them home for homework if not completed? Not developmentally appropriate.

Just my 2 cents.

Preschool should be educational, but play-based. There are plenty of fun ways to develop letter awareness and find motor coordination without worksheets.

Old 11-05-2015, 06:15 AM

53 posts, read 67,442 times
This is a great article on preschool and one I wished I had read when my children were that age. Now that they are in 5th and 3rd grade, I can see the truth in this article, especially with my 8 year old boy.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ensory-issues/

Old 11-05-2015, 06:30 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,031,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
I wouldn't send my kid to a preschool that required my child to finish worksheets. Worksheets should be a choice, but to send them home for homework if not completed? Not developmentally appropriate.

Just my 2 cents.

Preschool should be educational, but play-based. There are plenty of fun ways to develop letter awareness and find motor coordination without worksheets.
I think they start with the work sheets earlier to prepare them for the worksheet circus which is elementary school. At that age it's less about doing the sheet correctly and more about showing the ability to follow directions and beginning to understand learning expectations.

Are the other kids not completing their sheets? Is the teacher requiring they be completed at home or are they being sent just to make the parent aware of the situation? Honestly if it's not a problem for the other kids and it is for mine, I would rather know asap. I have 2 friends who both have kids in elementary school that refused to complete any kind of assignment. Every week,just stacks of blank worksheets coming home. It's not an academic problem as much as it's a behavior one. Both are struggling to find a solution. I personally would want to be aware of such issues asap in order to redirect my child or find appropriate support.

Old 11-05-2015, 06:37 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,581,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koolstar16 View Post
1100$ A month
Okay. That eliminated the thought I had which is why I asked the question. So let's move on to the next set of questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolstar16 View Post
Hi,

If your child/ preschooler is somewhat reserved , less social outside of home or known environment,
Is it reasonable to expect preschool teacher to give your child more one on one attention or more personalized instructions?
My child most times comes with empty school worksheets and when i asked teacher she said
My child doesn't ask for help. Is it reasonable to expect school
Teacher to explain or be more one on one with my child so that he can be more comfortable and open up??

P.s i teach my child to ask for help and be more social but
My child doesnt talk or open up with new people on own.
With people we know he is a chatterbox
I believe it is unreasonable to expect a teacher to spend more time with your child than with others. However, it is not unreasonable to expect the teacher to spend equal amounts of time with your child than with others. If the child is coming home with empty work sheets it sounds as if the teacher hasn't spent enough, if any, time with your child. The teacher should be giving the parent at pick-up time a brief run-down of how well the child's day was. I say brief because I imagine child drop-off and pick-up is probably one of the busiest times of the day for a preschool teacher and definitely not the time to question why the worksheets are empty. Does your child's teacher give you a run-down everyday?

At the price you are paying I would definitely expect the center to be an actual preschool and not just a childcare facility. I would unexpectedly drop in one morning around 10:15. I'm sure each classroom has a window from the hall with one-way glass so those in the classroom can't see out. And I'm sure the school has an open door policy for parents allowing them to stop by anytime (it better). The reason I suggested the time I did is usually things have calmed down from drop-off, mid-morning snacks are over, and preparing lunch hasn't yet begun.

I'm pretty sure you will send a strong signal as "the involved parent" by dropping in unexpectedly. I'm sure the center director will approach and make conversation (they better). This is the time to voice your concerns. Tell the director everything you've said here. The director should give your their undivided attention. If the director blows you off because the phone is ringing or some other lame excuse that would explain why the teacher is allowing your child to come home with blank worksheets and I suggest finding a new preschool.

I imagine what will happen (and what should happen) when you drop in unexpectedly the director will approach and make conversation. You will politely voice your concerns. The director will be understanding, will give a resolution, and thank you for dropping in and letting them know your concerns.

Yes, I know leaving work is an inconvenience but I strongly believe the first 5 years are the most important for child's mental development and you only get one chance. You are paying top dollar for childcare. What I have mentioned is not unreasonable at that level of childcare. I think in the end you'll learn the teacher isn't hitting on much and the director will be glad you brought the situation to their attention.

But, now on the other hand, if you are just looking for childcare and are not into the whole preschool thing of preparing the child for kindergarten and just want the child to play (which is fine as it's your choice) then I would look for a different facility which is more childcare based and save yourself $500 a month.

Good luck!

Old 11-05-2015, 07:28 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,341,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post

Just my 2 cents.

Well that, too. I don't like worksheets in general at any grade level, but certainly not in preschool and I picked my kids' preschools with that in mind. All learning should be project-based at that age IMO. It's fine by me to introduce letters and numbers but no worksheets for mine.

Carolina Parent has an extensive list of preschools if you're looking for a different one: Schools + Education Resources search results, filtered by Preschools, search term: raleigh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary