Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 09:16 AM

1 posts, read 1,279 times

Advertisements

We are thinking about moving to a family oriented city close to Raleigh, but I am also concerned about hurricanes, how bad is it during hurricane season in the area and how is the weather versus North TX weather, does it snow, freeze, and how hot is it during the summer, any tornados???, being from CA, Texas weather really is bad but what's horrifying is the tornado season., how far is the beach from Raleigh?
Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2015, 09:28 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,382,360 times
Raleigh is about 100 to 150 miles from the coast, as the crow flies. Its very rare for a major hurricane to impact Raleigh. Winter may bring a couple of short lived snow or ice storms, which typically melt away quickly. They will nonetheless paralyze the city for a day or two.

Old 11-17-2015, 09:35 AM

464 posts, read 1,044,058 times
We moved from McKinney, TX to Raleigh so I can answer a lot of it. I would say that the weather is comparable. Summers can get into the 100s here in Raleigh, but there is much more humidity than McKinney had. Winters can get cold, especially the last few ones, where we have gotten a lot of snow. Usually though it is more like McKinney where we got ice storms / freezing rain.

The biggest difference between TX and here is we have four seasons in Raleigh. In TX the two seasons were HOT and NOT HOT.

I do not worry at all about hurricanes here in Raleigh. There have only been a couple that veered inland and affected Raleigh. Most have stayed off the coast with very little impact to us. The closest beach can be found in about a two hour drive.

Old 11-17-2015, 10:33 AM

341 posts, read 296,883 times
We are due on a major hurricane. It's been a long time but I hope its much much longer.

Old 11-17-2015, 10:37 AM

58 posts, read 53,532 times
Don't think twice about moving here, rosy. People here are nicer, it is much prettier and you don't have to pay thousands to have a forest in your backyard. Yes, less severe weather (very small tornadoes come with hurricanes from what I heard) and better schools. I lived in both places and don't miss TX at all. You won't regret a second. I grew up in OK and I am soooo glad to be away from the wind and the scary tornados. Soooo relieved. Come visit and see for yourself!

Old 11-17-2015, 10:51 AM

2,424 posts, read 3,537,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSilverSpoon View Post
Don't think twice about moving here, rosy. People here are nicer, it is much prettier and you don't have to pay thousands to have a forest in your backyard. Yes, less severe weather (very small tornadoes come with hurricanes from what I heard) and better schools. I lived in both places and don't miss TX at all. You won't regret a second. I grew up in OK and I am soooo glad to be away from the wind and the scary tornados. Soooo relieved. Come visit and see for yourself!
+1 + NC has trees.

Old 11-17-2015, 11:37 AM

1,737 posts, read 2,574,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmasek73 View Post
We moved from McKinney, TX to Raleigh so I can answer a lot of it. I would say that the weather is comparable. Summers can get into the 100s here in Raleigh, but there is much more humidity than McKinney had.
That happens very, very rarely.

Old 11-17-2015, 11:56 AM

2,798 posts, read 2,990,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucctgg View Post
That happens very, very rarely.
And the "heavy" snow we've gotten in the past two years is like an inch.

Old 11-17-2015, 03:25 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalypsoNotch View Post
We are due on a major hurricane. It's been a long time but I hope its much much longer.
Raleigh really isn't "due" for one--typically they are about a 40-50 year event and the last one to hit Raleigh directly was in 1996.

Hurricanes are no reason to avoid Raleigh--coastal NC, perhaps.

A little Google-fu can reassure you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchie View Post
And the "heavy" snow we've gotten in the past two years is like an inch.
Actually, we had 8 total inches of snowfall last winter and 6 the year before, according to this site (annoying because it shows individual months, like "Every January for 60 years", "Every February...", so you have to add them up for a given winter).

But, misleading in those snowfall totals is the amount of ICE we get here, which is far more dangerous than snow, especially for someone coming from Texas. Most of us just stay home on those days.

As for tornados, it's nowhere near as bad as Texas, but we do get them sometimes (1988 and 2011 saw direct tornado hits on Raleigh).

There are lots of websites you can check for climate statistics for a city. For most, it's simply the summer heat and humidity that would count as the worst weather-related pain in the neck for this area, but coming from Texas, you are surely used to that.

Last edited by Francois; 11-17-2015 at 03:54 PM..

Old 11-18-2015, 06:14 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,310,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosycornell View Post
We are thinking about moving to a family oriented city close to Raleigh, but I am also concerned about hurricanes, how bad is it during hurricane season in the area and how is the weather versus North TX weather, does it snow, freeze, and how hot is it during the summer, any tornados???, being from CA, Texas weather really is bad but what's horrifying is the tornado season., how far is the beach from Raleigh?
Thank you in advance.
North Carolina summers are very hot and humid, the winters are cold and humid. During peak season, you can expect about a 3 hour trip to the beach. Hurricanes have hit the NC coast fairly frequently but the damage is almost always minimal to non existent for the Raleigh area. The last time a hurricane cause appreciable damage was circa 1995 or so..

You really should visit and take stock of what the area has to offer before jumping; it is nothing like CA..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary