Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2015, 07:52 AM

9 posts, read 12,237 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I had originally posted in the wrong forum so I am reposting here.

My husband and I have long been considering a moving to the area and would love suggestions before we visit in the upcoming months

- We would be employed at one of the medical centers (either Duke or UNC) and would appreciate no more than a 20 minute commute (unheard of in some areas but in Rochester that is on the longer end)
- We are looking for a nice suburban house $500,000 - $700,000
- We have young children and outstanding schools are a priority. We would prefer public but are not entirely opposed to private.

Last time we visited we really liked Cary and Chapel Hill and were told some areas of North Raleigh may be fitting.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2015, 08:03 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,101,747 times
I moved to Raleigh from Rochester in 1993.

You should move to Chapel Hill. Excellent public schools. UNC is there, and Duke isn't far away.

There's no valid reason you should look in North Raleigh, even though it's nice. Why complicate your life with a daily commute on I-40 (which is often slow and backed up)?

Old 12-10-2015, 12:05 PM

703 posts, read 780,944 times
Governor's Forest is a great neighborhood close to Chapel Hill, but very accessible to Durham/Duke as well that fits right into your range. There's a good YouTube video you can get to with a simple search that shows the neighborhood.

Colvard Farms south of Southpointe would also be accessible to both UNC and Duke, although prices might be a tad more than your range. With the lower property taxes here though, you might find yourself able to go higher than you originally think. I know that we did 2 years ago.

Also, take a look at Southpoint Manor. off of Farrington Road.

There are also a lot of great subdivisions in the western sections of Cary. I agree with the previous poster that North Raleigh is probably too long of a commute to either Duke or especially Chapel Hill.

Old 12-10-2015, 04:42 PM

2,424 posts, read 3,539,684 times
Second the Chapel Hill recommendation, especially if kids are involved. Best schools with no capping. Make sure you are in the Chapel Hill city school district.

Governors Forest is in Chatham County and Colvard Farms is in Durham County. Both are excellent locations, but the schools cannot compete with Chapel Hill city Carborro.

No kids and Durham Co. does not matter. Look in Old Hope Valley. It is in Durham and built around a golf course and country club.

I like that general area for access to almost everything in the Triangle.

Old 12-10-2015, 06:44 PM

703 posts, read 780,944 times
The OP mentioned not being opposed to private schools. As such, my recommendations were geared towards neighborhoods that seemed to best fit their housing desires.

Old 12-11-2015, 05:43 AM

757 posts, read 2,084,285 times
I'll narrow it down for you: Live in the neighborhood , Southern Village, in Chapel Hill. Chapel Hill schools and an easy choice at that price point. Taxes are higher in Chapel Hill, but you are used to high taxes there. It's a great neighborhood with an integrated grocery, movies, restaurants, and shopping at it's center. I know people that live there and love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary