Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 01:36 PM

5 posts, read 4,982 times

Advertisements

I am hoping to move to the Carrboro/Chapel Hill area early next summer (2017). I will be "scouting" the city at the end of December to get a feel for it. I've worked in higher ed for 26 years and am hoping to get a job at UNC/UNC Medical. I'm taking early retirement, so I will already have a monthly paycheck from my retirement (although not enough to live on without at least a part-time job).

I will be looking for a 2 bed-2 bath house or townhouse with rental between $1000-$1300/month. I know that students can likely be found in every single area of the city, but are their pockets where less students are found? I'm wondering specifically about the Carrboro area or the area southeast of the university. But I'd like to find out if there are other areas. I'm in my 50s and am looking for a quiet place that is green (trees, grass, etc) and affordable and doesn't have a commute that will turn my hair grey. Since I am hoping to work at UNC, ideally I'd be near a bus route since I've heard parking at UNC is almost non-existent.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2016, 07:02 PM

6,378 posts, read 5,494,209 times
I just bought a condo in Finley Forest in Chapel Hill . I think this neighborhood sounds like it would suite you well. It's a healthy mix here. Young professionals, older university employees, grad students (especially dental and med school students), retirees; not a lot of undergrads. About 5 minutes to UNC/downtown Chapel Hill, 15 minutes to RTP.

Most units were built in the mid 80s to early 90s; townhomes and garden units. I think most of the rentals go for basically exactly your budget. If you are interested in buying; most sell in the 110s-150s range depending on the floorplan.

Old 08-30-2016, 06:45 AM

Thanks so much, TarHeelNick!

I will definitely look into the area. It sounds lovely.

Do you happen to know if a rental home/townhouse is in an area with an HOA, does the owner typically pay the monthly fee or is it passed to the renter? I just want to make sure I am cognizant of all costs. I can pose the question to the larger group or a real estate agent if you don't know the answer.

Old 08-30-2016, 08:37 AM

6,378 posts, read 5,494,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavmaiden View Post
Thanks so much, TarHeelNick!

I will definitely look into the area. It sounds lovely.

Do you happen to know if a rental home/townhouse is in an area with an HOA, does the owner typically pay the monthly fee or is it passed to the renter? I just want to make sure I am cognizant of all costs. I can pose the question to the larger group or a real estate agent if you don't know the answer.
There is definitely a hefty HOA here. I can't speak for all owners/landlords...but I know that when I eventually rent this place out in a few years; I will most likely factor HOA fees into how I calculate rent.

Old 08-30-2016, 08:45 AM

6,653 posts, read 5,589,525 times
Not sure what rentals are available in Chapel Hill but the Glen Lennox area has always seemed nice if I wanted to live in Chapel Hill away from the craziness of Franklin Street.

Old 08-30-2016, 05:50 PM

276 posts, read 648,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
Not sure what rentals are available in Chapel Hill but the Glen Lennox area has always seemed nice if I wanted to live in Chapel Hill away from the craziness of Franklin Street.
I was just going to recommend Glen Lennox, too! I lived there for 2 years - as an undergrad, but I was definitely in the minority. The neighborhood is very quiet, with many retirees, some young families and young professionals, and a handful of students. It is very convenient to campus; it's walkable (though a long, hilly walk) and on several bus lines. It's also near grocery stores and restaurants.

Old 08-30-2016, 06:54 PM

197 posts, read 208,403 times
Default Glen Lennox

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsbells View Post
I was just going to recommend Glen Lennox, too! I lived there for 2 years - as an undergrad, but I was definitely in the minority. The neighborhood is very quiet, with many retirees, some young families and young professionals, and a handful of students. It is very convenient to campus; it's walkable (though a long, hilly walk) and on several bus lines. It's also near grocery stores and restaurants.
elsbells, how long ago was that? I thought Glen Lennox looked quite lovely but negative online reviews scared me away... I know that ppl who had bad experiences tend to leave reviews more and should take those with a grain of salt, but seemed particularly bad in recent reviews. Maybe management change? Sorry OP I don't have any particular recommendation but wanted to caution you.

Old 08-30-2016, 06:59 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,589,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellurium View Post
elsbells, how long ago was that? I thought Glen Lennox looked quite lovely but negative online reviews scared me away... I know that ppl who had bad experiences tend to leave reviews more and should take those with a grain of salt, but seemed particularly bad in recent reviews. Maybe management change? Sorry OP I don't have any particular recommendation but wanted to caution you.
I was just talking about the Glen Lennox area, not the Glen Lennox apartments specifically (which are located adjacent to Glen Lennox).

Old 08-30-2016, 07:36 PM

Thanks Pierretong1991 and Elsbells! I will look into Glenn Lennox also.

Old 09-06-2016, 06:00 PM

276 posts, read 648,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellurium View Post
I lived there in 2006-2008 (so it's been a while .) We did have a peeping Tom creep neighbor, but he moved out around the same time that we did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary