Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2016, 12:19 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,341,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by keadlez View Post
Actually I asked someone else the question. Poppydog decided to enter the fray on his own, as did you.
I didn't say I didn't like his answer, I just said I don't believe it. I'm entitled to my opinion. And even if he's being honest with the group, most people do not ride around knowing the exact height of the vehicle they own or rent unless they have professional truck driving experience.
Keadlez, you posted the question on a public forum. You didn't ask someone the question in a private message. If you meant to ask a specific person, perhaps the person you quoted, try using that person's name next time. I definitely would not have answered if I knew the question was for someone else, but I do stand by my answer. I definitely would find out the clearance of any truck I rented. I am also a fairly careful driver and there is no freaking way I would be tempted to go under that bridge with those blinking lights in a big truck. I don't even try to pull into my MIL's carport in my van.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2016, 12:33 PM

236 posts, read 186,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Keadlez, you posted the question on a public forum. You didn't ask someone the question in a private message. If you meant to ask a specific person, perhaps the person you quoted, try using that person's name next time. I definitely would not have answered if I knew the question was for someone else, but I do stand by my answer. I definitely would find out the clearance of any truck I rented. I am also a fairly careful driver and there is no freaking way I would be tempted to go under that bridge with those blinking lights in a big truck. I don't even try to pull into my MIL's carport in my van.
I wasn't denying your right to answer, I was addressing someone who said I asked you (when I didn't). It didn't bother me that you answered. I don't believe your answer personally, but I also acknowledge that you could have professional truck driving experience or some other reason that you would be aware of the exact vehicle clearance. Just because I don't believe your answer does not mean I completely ruled out the possibility that it could be true.

However, all of this misses the point. My point was that MOST people don't know the height clearance of the vehicle they drive, and that some of these people clobbering the bridge likely rented a truck for a temporary move, and because they are unfamiliar with driving large vehicles in general, a sign showing a low clearance ahead would not necessarily be meaningful to these people.

I realize there are exceptions to everything. When I asked the question of one person, I fully understood there could be other folks reading along who would chime in with their own answer. It happens in most forum discussions of this nature. Someone inevitably says "well *I* do it this way because *I'm* ultra-diligent". And that's great... fantastic actually. But it does nothing to negate the point I made that most people don't keep track of the clearance height of the vehicle they drive in inches. Even if every ultra-diligent reader of this forum comes forth proclaiming their astuteness as a truck renter, they do not represent a large enough portion of the general driving population to negate the point I made. And even if every member did, I reserve the right to disbelieve as many of them as I choose

Old 01-09-2016, 01:50 PM

Uhaul slaps a sticker on each truck with the height. It's made so you can read it in your rearview mirror. I'm sure other rental companies do the same. It's in their interest that folks don't scrape the top of their trucks on drive-thrus or parking decks, or low bridges.

What is the Clearance Height of a Moving Truck? - Moving Insider

Old 01-09-2016, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Uhaul slaps a sticker on each truck with the height. It's made so you can read it in your rearview mirror. I'm sure other rental companies do the same. It's in their interest that folks don't scrape the top of their trucks on drive-thrus or parking decks, or low bridges.

What is the Clearance Height of a Moving Truck? - Moving Insider
I would think all of the truck rental companies probably do that. And there will be always be a certain number of people that pay attention to both that and the warning signs on the bridge. But there will be trucks without stickers and people talking on their cell phone not looking at the signs.

Good infrastructure design requires idiot-proofing everything. Things that can go wrong, will. And when they do so often, it's a sign that additional action is required.

Old 01-09-2016, 03:31 PM

Keadlez, since we agree that most of the truck rental companies probably do have the height of the trucks easily readable on the vehicles I think most people when they rent a vehicle probably do read the notice then and do "know the exact height clearance in inches before [they] get behind the wheel". There are some who won't, but I would expect most people would, especially if they are driving a vehicle that is unfamiliar to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhm5 View Post
IMO, I don't think you can call everyone stupid that has had an accident under that bridge. Clearly the current signage is not working. If they can tell you before you enter a curve what your speed is, surely they can tell you your truck is not going to fit under the bridge. Not rocket science here.
mlhm, they DO! The signage says "OVERHEIGHT WHEN FLASHING". People just don't read it, or maybe they can't read.

I like the idea of hanging some PVC or another sign further out and if the truck hits that it would alert folks, but probably some of them would roll on through that, or the waterfall stop sign (beautiful). Some people just think it doesn't apply to them.

Old 01-09-2016, 03:38 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,768,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keadlez View Post
Yes and when you rent a vehicle, do you make sure you know the exact height clearance in inches before you get behind the wheel? Be honest in your answer.
Abso-freaking-lutely. Why wouldn't you? I can't understand the mentality of anyone who wouldn't. Just like if you have to put something on the roof of your car or bed of a truck to make sure it is secure or to clear the giant chunk of ice and snow off the roof of your car. It is your responsibility as a driver and criminal if you don't.

Old 01-09-2016, 05:10 PM

2,464 posts, read 4,167,158 times
I've never driven a rental truck that did NOT have the height of that particular truck plastered all over the inside of the cab!

There's an overpass/bridge on I-95 just south of there that is lower than normal. They have a laser sensor and flashing lights to alert trucks that might not have seen the signs leading up to it. Trucks are advised to exit and go around.

Old 01-09-2016, 05:30 PM

Glad to know they are giving you guys the special trucks that are wallpapered with height warnings. I just watched about half a dozen you tube videos of U-haul and other rental trucks, and among all those videos all I saw was one obscure sticker that showed the height dimensions, displayed in tiny text, among a gazillion other stickers. So at least some other folks are having a very different experience with their rental trucks.

Old 01-09-2016, 06:19 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,768,819 times
It doesn't matter. It is your responsibility to know the limits of the vehicle you are driving.

But I'm sure you are one of the people looking forward to self driving cars so you don't have to worry about it.

Old 01-09-2016, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
It doesn't matter. It is your responsibility to know the limits of the vehicle you are driving.

But I'm sure you are one of the people looking forward to self driving cars so you don't have to worry about it.
What a weird assumption and failed attempt to lash out personally. Something here must have really hurt. Sorry for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary