Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 09:22 AM

363 posts, read 433,079 times

Advertisements

I am not saying it's necessarily that bad now, but I can see it going that path quickly. In my experience both the prices and traffic have changed a lot in less than 5 years. Which is why I said I can't imagine how Raleigh will be like in 5 to 10 years. I think North_Pinelass_Guy said it best, Raleigh has that small city charm where it's small but offers many amenities, but this is going away fast due to overcrowding, and I think I am having hard time getting used to that.

Also, another thing I noticed again from my experience is the jobs salary aren't keeping up with the higher expenses. In most expensive cities the salary is typically higher if it's more expensive (I don't mean like raising minimum wage) but the salaries in Raleigh hasn't been all that different.

I don't mean to offend anyone by starting this topic, it's just I am noticing a lot of changes that are happening fast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2016, 09:28 AM

11,221 posts, read 8,292,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
At least 1 member feels the way i do.

Overcrowding of North Hills has turned it into a piece of junk. With the new buildings the developer is putting up now thanks to a stupid, greedy city, nobody in their right mind who does not live there will want to shop there.

Harris-Teeter's parking is now getting jammed up while the folks are not visible in the store. Bruegger's is a nightmare thanks to their parking lot being taken away.

NJ is coming here to welcome its old population.

Hahaha, yeah, nobody....

To the OP: I think Raleigh has a lot to offer in all the areas you suggest, but it's very subjective, so like others say, to each their own.

As for the music, we have a thriving local and underground scene, which I love, with several bars having music every night. If it's the big ticket shows you like (I don't), we've recently attracted U2 and the Rolling Stones (two of the biggest acts of the day), and many, MANY others at our many venues (Carter Finley, RBC, RedHat, Walnut Creek, Booth, Duke Energy, DPAC, RITZ and etc...)

Food scene is thriving, and if five dollars parking is going to keep you way from downtown, then any city in the USA will bother you. $5 is the cheapest by far I know of. (Try parking in SF or NYC, or even similar sized cities as Raleigh.)

Again, you're entitled to your opinion, but I don't agree. I travel a lot, to a lot of cities, and Raleigh is pretty dang good.

Old 01-14-2016, 09:39 AM

128 posts, read 151,294 times
I travel a lot as well. The traffic in LA, DC, Houston should be a warning to other Cities that are heading in that direction. You soon realize that it's just more cars and strip malls. Wages have not kept up for working people so what's the benefit ?

Old 01-14-2016, 09:46 AM

2,823 posts, read 4,488,840 times
Raleigh traffic is nothing, especially if you've spent time around DC. It's painful around the heart of RTP on I-40 and places like Crabtree and will only get worse as more people move here, but it's still nothing too horrendous at the moment.

My biggest problem with Raleigh is the sprawl. I dislike seeing sprawl go on forever, especially in places like Clayton when there are tons of undeveloped areas inside Wake County closer to Raleigh. In other words, I don't mind seeing ares like North Hills or downtown Raleigh grow because it's about time those areas build up a little. They're in the city of Raleigh so they should obviously be developed. However, cookie-cutter sprawl in Fuquay Varina or Clayton is a depressing sight.

When it comes to entertainment, the fact that Raleigh is less than three hours from both Greensboro and Charlotte probably harms the city in that department. Greensboro Coliseum, for one. Also, Charlotte has the Carolina Panthers, NASCAR, etc. Still, I think Raleigh is seeing better concerts as time goes by, and we can't forget Durham and Chapel Hill.

Old 01-14-2016, 10:15 AM

340 posts, read 295,324 times
I agree. This area is going downhill quick.

Old 01-14-2016, 10:18 AM

2,424 posts, read 3,534,727 times
IMO, the powers that be have always acted like Raleigh was not going to grow as fast as it did and is now.

Old 01-14-2016, 10:22 AM

2,843 posts, read 2,973,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Raleigh traffic is nothing, especially if you've spent time around DC. It's painful around the heart of RTP on I-40 and places like Crabtree and will only get worse as more people move here, but it's still nothing too horrendous at the moment.

My biggest problem with Raleigh is the sprawl. I dislike seeing sprawl go on forever, especially in places like Clayton when there are tons of undeveloped areas inside Wake County closer to Raleigh. In other words, I don't mind seeing ares like North Hills or downtown Raleigh grow because it's about time those areas build up a little. They're in the city of Raleigh so they should obviously be developed. However, cookie-cutter sprawl in Fuquay Varina or Clayton is a depressing sight.

When it comes to entertainment, the fact that Raleigh is less than three hours from both Greensboro and Charlotte probably harms the city in that department. Greensboro Coliseum, for one. Also, Charlotte has the Carolina Panthers, NASCAR, etc. Still, I think Raleigh is seeing better concerts as time goes by, and we can't forget Durham and Chapel Hill.
i think sprawl is the word of the season here

I kinda feel like you have 1. the north 2. the west 3. the south

The north is in bad shape for it's policies on density

The west is very dense but seems to be able to generate the regulations to try to cope

Here in the south we were undeveloped, so now we have transplants essentially looking to re-create all those bad american habits (mcmansions) and kinda fleeing density (natives do the same thing)

We haven't done much at all for smart urban living and are just gobbling up all the space for development with lax regulations...and i don't think anyone can feel good about the outlook.

Last edited by hey_guy; 01-14-2016 at 10:30 AM..

Old 01-14-2016, 10:23 AM

2,843 posts, read 2,973,786 times
I think the philosophy and ethos of the south can only lead to outcomes like Atlanta. We're just on a march following atlanta's footsteps

Old 01-14-2016, 10:34 AM

2,823 posts, read 4,488,840 times
Raleigh/Durham is turning into another Northern VA, if anything. Even Atlanta seems to have more of a southern identity, IMO.

Old 01-14-2016, 11:06 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,753,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ialwayswin001 View Post
I am not saying it's necessarily that bad now, but I can see it going that path quickly. In my experience both the prices and traffic have changed a lot in less than 5 years. Which is why I said I can't imagine how Raleigh will be like in 5 to 10 years. I think North_Pinelass_Guy said it best, Raleigh has that small city charm where it's small but offers many amenities, but this is going away fast due to overcrowding, and I think I am having hard time getting used to that.

Also, another thing I noticed again from my experience is the jobs salary aren't keeping up with the higher expenses. In most expensive cities the salary is typically higher if it's more expensive (I don't mean like raising minimum wage) but the salaries in Raleigh hasn't been all that different.

I don't mean to offend anyone by starting this topic, it's just I am noticing a lot of changes that are happening fast.
How long have you lived here? People have literally been saying the exact same thing as this since I remember. Many wish thing would stay the same as they were when they got here. What then happens is some "leaders" think the same and wish it wouldn't change and enact policies that reflect this. That's why we used to have essentially a 20 story upper limit on buildings in Raleigh (height was 2x block length) and why all infrastructure is always behind the curve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary