Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2018, 10:36 AM

735 posts, read 1,584,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalBlvd View Post
You are so right especially for their road behavior.

We have very few traffic enforcement officers in Raleigh, and these awful road bullies almost always get away with their violations.

High court costs and insurance surcharges might get many of these jerks off our roads or, even better, back to where they came from.
Welcome back
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2018, 10:57 AM

1,886 posts, read 4,816,202 times
I wish we had more beautiful clean coal around here.

Old 05-27-2018, 06:55 AM

3 posts, read 2,770 times
Funky Chicken: Coal is a dwindling industry; it's all about oil and gas now in WV. When I was living in Raleigh, I constantly heard or saw commercials for advocates of the pipeline in Eastern North Carolina (got to travel with my husband to many of these small NC towns). Both my husband and I agree that anyone who wants to criticize West Virginia from NC as far as extreme poverty levels needs an eye opener - the main advantage NC has is the economy of Raleigh and maybe Charlotte. I have a feeling the pipeline is going to come to North Carolina and it will bring all the positive and negative changes that we have experienced - how you end up perceiving it is perspective. As far as coal being clean, we all know that it's not, but oil and gas has its own set of environmental challenges, as well. All the NC farmers will end up selling out to the oil and gas companies and it will change the landscape and beauty of Southeastern North Carolina even with reparations to the land. It will also put people to work who are willing to work in very laborious jobs (I believe NC's population of legal Mexican immigrants are some of the hardest working people in the US right now and I think they will benefit most from the NC pipeline) and unlike WV coal mining or steel mill culture, which is more like a social/generational brotherhood, there will not be the same mentality with the oil and gas pipeliners most who hail from Texas, Louisiana, Utah, and Alabama, and who will further invade the original culture of NC. Also, like WV, many of them won't pass the drug tests. This is not meant to be critical but more analytical because I have seen it happen here in West Virginia and every state in the USA has that issue. The only difference here is that we had a larger workforce that was used to and trained for that type of physical labor but we also have the same drug problem because of poverty levels that North Carolina is also experiencing. Because of this you will end up with a ton more of outsiders living in your state and it will change the landscape and social norms. SE North Carolina, though, is an incredibly beautiful part of the state and I hope it remains that way as much as possible.

Last edited by HomesweetnotRaleigh; 05-27-2018 at 07:44 AM..

Old 05-27-2018, 07:10 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,274,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
I’m a nc native and dislike raleigh for similar reasons you would of liked Greensboro

Raleigh full of NJ and NYers
You know why NY and NJers leave? Because transplants have increased the population in their home states so much that it's no longer desirable.

So...join the club, you're not the only state to experience this. It's ignorant to complain about people that are getting away from the same scenario. The woe is me the Triangle is the only area to ever experience this attitude is old.

Old 05-27-2018, 07:43 AM

2,844 posts, read 2,978,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
You know why NY and NJers leave? Because transplants have increased the population in their home states so much that it's no longer desirable.

So...join the club, you're not the only state to experience this. It's ignorant to complain about people that are getting away from the same scenario. The woe is me the Triangle is the only area to ever experience this attitude is old.
“It sucks there now so we’re making it suck here†“get over it!!!â€

Growth != intolerable taxes, waste, bloated beaurarcy, union inertia

That’s all their own doing

Old 05-27-2018, 08:39 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,274,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
“It sucks there now so we’re making it suck here†“get over it!!!â€

Growth != intolerable taxes, waste, bloated beaurarcy, union inertia

That’s all their own doing
The "sucking" you're referring to is just a result of increased population. It's not like transplants are coming here and saying "lets make tons of traffic and high taxes that'd be awesome!!!!".

You don't need to go far to remove yourself from what you dislike so much. You don't even need to leave the state if you don't want to.

Old 05-27-2018, 09:37 AM

715 posts, read 889,246 times
No where is perfect and you need to decide pros/cons of coming here. Raleigh was never intended to be the next major city and most do not want or wish that. Based on30 years the place has more things to do without the trouble makers of big city Life. The mass exodus from high costs States will only increase and this area has always attracted them.

Old 05-27-2018, 11:12 AM

1,527 posts, read 1,481,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardinalRed View Post
No where is perfect and you need to decide pros/cons of coming here. Raleigh was never intended to be the next major city and most do not want or wish that. Based on30 years the place has more things to do without the trouble makers of big city Life. The mass exodus from high costs States will only increase and this area has always attracted them.

The costs of accommodating these losers will turn Raleigh into a high cost area and the exodus from here will begin.

Old 05-28-2018, 04:02 AM

3,661 posts, read 3,940,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomesweetnotRaleigh View Post
Funky Chicken: Coal is a dwindling industry; it's all about oil and gas now in WV. When I was living in Raleigh, I constantly heard or saw commercials for advocates of the pipeline in Eastern North Carolina (got to travel with my husband to many of these small NC towns). Both my husband and I agree that anyone who wants to criticize West Virginia from NC as far as extreme poverty levels needs an eye opener - the main advantage NC has is the economy of Raleigh and maybe Charlotte. I have a feeling the pipeline is going to come to North Carolina and it will bring all the positive and negative changes that we have experienced - how you end up perceiving it is perspective. As far as coal being clean, we all know that it's not, but oil and gas has its own set of environmental challenges, as well. All the NC farmers will end up selling out to the oil and gas companies and it will change the landscape and beauty of Southeastern North Carolina even with reparations to the land. It will also put people to work who are willing to work in very laborious jobs (I believe NC's population of legal Mexican immigrants are some of the hardest working people in the US right now and I think they will benefit most from the NC pipeline) and unlike WV coal mining or steel mill culture, which is more like a social/generational brotherhood, there will not be the same mentality with the oil and gas pipeliners most who hail from Texas, Louisiana, Utah, and Alabama, and who will further invade the original culture of NC. Also, like WV, many of them won't pass the drug tests. This is not meant to be critical but more analytical because I have seen it happen here in West Virginia and every state in the USA has that issue. The only difference here is that we had a larger workforce that was used to and trained for that type of physical labor but we also have the same drug problem because of poverty levels that North Carolina is also experiencing. Because of this you will end up with a ton more of outsiders living in your state and it will change the landscape and social norms. SE North Carolina, though, is an incredibly beautiful part of the state and I hope it remains that way as much as possible.
Isn't it's just a distribution pipeline being installed in the ground which will be done with temporary jobs?

If so, then I don't understand why texas drillers would coming in disrupting life as those towns know it.

If the pipeline is to send what is fracked in NC elsewhere then I would understand your post.

Old 05-28-2018, 06:31 AM

2,148 posts, read 1,697,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalBlvd View Post
The costs of accommodating these losers will turn Raleigh into a high cost area and the exodus from here will begin.
LOL. You sound like Yogi Berra, "No one goes there anymore; it's too crowded!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary