Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 12:10 AM

11 posts, read 20,968 times

Advertisements

We are in the process of moving to Cary in summer of 2016 from NJ and the assigned school for us is Green Hope High School. We have been told it is a good school. We have also applied to Cary Academy and would like some information from anyone who has had experience in both schools. My son will be going to 9th grade and is not a great ahtlete but does like to play sports and participate in extracurriculars. We are looking for specific pro's and con's only on these schools. Any information will be highly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2016, 03:25 AM

142 posts, read 175,871 times
Very high level summary....

Cary Academy is ranked the #1 private school in the state:
http://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/...t-private.html

Green Hope was ranked the #1 public school in the state as recently as 2014 and is consistently in the top 12 of rankings:
Several Triangle high schools ranked among the best nationwide :: WRAL.com

Cary Academy is $25-30k more expensive.

Others can chime in on the specifics.

Old 04-15-2016, 04:59 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,448,503 times
What are you looking for in a school that led you to apply to Cary Academy? It would help to know what you value in a school.

Old 04-15-2016, 05:00 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
We have a child at another private school as well as the one at GHHS and it's pretty hard to fairly quantify the differences between public and private but that should be very obvious from the get-go.
I don't think are going to find anyone - at least here - who has sent their kids to both schools. I have some neighbors who use CA and we live in the GHHS base zone.
CA is for the most part a VERY wealthy demographic - if you are going to send your kid there be prepared to pony up not just tuition.
CA is probably easier to make sports teams based on neighbors I have who've made said teams and seeing them play
We have one neighbor who sent one child there for MS, pulled her out for HS at GHHS and send the next child right to Davis Drive Middle. Both kids and parents are happy.
GHHS is a major pressure cooker environment - the parents are academically ambitious and it trickles down to the kids. My child who goes there is not on that level but he still hears it all day, every day. It can be a strain, too much of a strain, for some kids. And GHHS is huge, especially if you are coming from a small district in NJ.

Old 04-15-2016, 06:48 AM

1,836 posts, read 1,597,089 times
OP, the only comment I can make on CA is that I know someone whose children attend and they seem happy with the schooling but they have commented that it is expensive.

We fairly recently moved to NC and my children attend GHHS and are doing well. It still surprises me that it is one of the top schools in the state. Don't get me wrong, I do like the school a lot, but in my opinion it does not come close to the district/High School we left. From my viewpoint, Wake County and NC does not fund schools at the level they should be funded. I believe school districts that are based on the county tend to be a detriment to the schools. Wake County has too many schools to properly manage. That said, the administration, teachers, coaches, and even the custodians at GHHS that I have had the pleasure of interacting with have all been amazing!

As for the pressure cooker atmosphere, my kids have never expressed feeling any pressure academically. My kids (3 at GHHS) are 4.0-3.25 unweighted GPA students with the oldest being an AP scholar with Distinction- school seems very easy at GHHS compared to where we came from. The homework load is pretty light or they have plenty of extra time in class to get work done. My kids are very happy at the school and that in itself makes this mom happy as well.

Best of luck in your decision!

Old 04-15-2016, 07:09 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaPaKoMom View Post
OP, the only comment I can make on CA is that I know someone whose children attend and they seem happy with the schooling but they have commented that it is expensive.

We fairly recently moved to NC and my children attend GHHS and are doing well. It still surprises me that it is one of the top schools in the state. Don't get me wrong, I do like the school a lot, but in my opinion it does not come close to the district/High School we left. From my viewpoint, Wake County and NC does not fund schools at the level they should be funded. I believe school districts that are based on the county tend to be a detriment to the schools. Wake County has too many schools to properly manage. That said, the administration, teachers, coaches, and even the custodians at GHHS that I have had the pleasure of interacting with have all been amazing!

As for the pressure cooker atmosphere, my kids have never expressed feeling any pressure academically. My kids (3 at GHHS) are 4.0-3.25 unweighted GPA students with the oldest being an AP scholar with Distinction- school seems very easy at GHHS compared to where we came from. The homework load is pretty light or they have plenty of extra time in class to get work done. My kids are very happy at the school and that in itself makes this mom happy as well.

Just out of curiosity... where'd you come from?

Old 04-15-2016, 07:54 AM

1,836 posts, read 1,597,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Just out of curiosity... where'd you come from?
Collin County, Texas.

Old 04-15-2016, 07:57 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,431,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
GHHS is a major pressure cooker environment - the parents are academically ambitious and it trickles down to the kids. My child who goes there is not on that level but he still hears it all day, every day. It can be a strain, too much of a strain, for some kids. And GHHS is huge, especially if you are coming from a small district in NJ.
I don't have any experience with either, but wouldn't one surmise that CA, being an elite private high school, is similarly academically ambitious? Especially with parents coughing up $25K a year. I mean, some parents will send their kids there for other reasons such as prestige, to keep their kids away from a wrong crowd, or to have a closer watch on their kids by staff, but I have to believe there is a decent cohort that places the highest emphasis on academic performance.

Old 04-15-2016, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I don't have any experience with either, but wouldn't one surmise that CA, being an elite private high school, is similarly academically ambitious? Especially with parents coughing up $25K a year. I mean, some parents will send their kids there for other reasons such as prestige, to keep their kids away from a wrong crowd, or to have a closer watch on their kids by staff, but I have to believe there is a decent cohort that places the highest emphasis on academic performance.
I didn't say it wasn't. I have no experience with it and have not that it is from the people I know who go there.

Old 04-15-2016, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaPaKoMom View Post

A lot of kids like the block scheduling for this reason. Few HS kids have the attention span to get lectured to for 90 minutes so they do end up getting work done in class. My child is in the academic level and gets resource help and having only two core classes has been great for him. Much less "stuff" for him to keep track of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary