Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2016, 12:33 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,516,559 times

Advertisements

Looking to learn the Latin language, or at least try. Do not want to attend GoogleTube University, would prefer a classroom. I've tried to search but I only keep coming up with "Latin Dance" crap. I live in Carrboro but would be willing to travel to Raleigh, Greensboro, wherever. I tried to see if UNC or Duke or anything had just continuing ed Latin, and I saw that they offer the class but could not tell if one has to be a regular student and part of a degree program. Anyone have anything for me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2016, 03:56 PM

19,456 posts, read 27,925,506 times
Duke https://trinity.duke.edu/languages

UNC Chapel Hill Foreign Languages - Academic Advising Program

MAYBE Wake Tech (I found conflicting online info).

I also found several private teachers tutors. You might contact them to see if tgey have information.

Good luck!

Old 05-09-2016, 07:27 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,516,559 times
Yeah, those pages are what I found earlier too...I'm still not too sure if I can sign up without being enrolled as a student in a degree program though? It does look like Rosetta Stone or a private tutor might be the only options. I contacted "varsity tutor" and they quoted me a total price of I think it was 1750 for 50 lessons at 1.5 years each, twice a week. That's a lot of money...

Old 05-09-2016, 08:36 PM

1,323 posts, read 1,264,013 times
The Durham Public library lists various online (free) courses on its website. I assume you have to hold a library card from them to participate. If you are not in Durham, check to see if your library has such a class. Cheaper than Rosetta Stone.

Old 05-09-2016, 08:47 PM

750 posts, read 855,937 times
And after 50 lessons you'd know very little Latin. Why do you want to learn Latin? Have you learnt any previously?

Old 05-09-2016, 08:56 PM

19,456 posts, read 27,925,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
Yeah, those pages are what I found earlier too...I'm still not too sure if I can sign up without being enrolled as a student in a degree program though?
Umm, have you called them and asked? Most universities allow degree students to sign up first, thrn allow open enrollment. I'm betting they would be delighted to have another warm body to include in their classes.

Old 05-10-2016, 01:59 AM

4,276 posts, read 4,733,651 times
I had four years in high school. Beware, it's a slow process because the language is complex. Not as complex perhaps as Russian, but I'd say more than German and far more than French, Spanish, or Italian. The way it's usually taught, two years are needed to get the essential grammar but at that point you still won't be able to read Cicero, Ovid, or Virgil easily... not without aids, anyway.

What do you want to be able to do with the language?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary