Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2016, 08:17 PM

605 posts, read 804,400 times

Advertisements

Which of the premier public art museums in the Southeast do you prefer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2016, 08:49 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,682,715 times
VMFA. I haven't been to NCMA since the expansion but I didn't care for the location or collection of the museum when I last visited (dated an employee of the museum). The addition does look fantastic in the photos that I've seen.

The VMFA has a nice central location. It is open 365 days a year and is free. It's also located beside the free Virginia Historical Society. The museum complex and the location make it feel loftier. It's a quiet, contemplative museum crowd and isn't kid friendly which I really like.

I don't hate kids or anything and there are children at the VMFA but they are expected to rise to the occasion, to behave and study. The NCMA may have the same vibe (I honestly don't recall). I never considered it before I went to the art museum in Denver. They have "hands-on" stations for the kids right in the middle of the galleries. It's obnoxious.

Old 06-12-2016, 05:21 AM

4,261 posts, read 4,710,427 times
I have to give the nod to VFMA over NCMA, but if the scope of the question is "the Southeast", the High in Atlanta must be on the list.

Old 06-13-2016, 06:03 AM

605 posts, read 804,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
I have to give the nod to VFMA over NCMA, but if the scope of the question is "the Southeast", the High in Atlanta must be on the list.
The High isn't publicly funded, though.

Old 06-13-2016, 06:47 AM

4,261 posts, read 4,710,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler_Jolie-Pitt View Post
The High isn't publicly funded, though.
The largest sources of operating money for the High do indeed come from the private Cox and Woodruff foundations... "old money" in Atlanta. On the other hand, local governments arranged for $200M of tax-exempt bonds to be issued for the High's most recent expansion. No government facilitation -> no bonds, or at least not under terms so favorable. Even at NCMA, we call it "public" but a good chunk of the operating money comes from private sources via the North Carolina Museum of Art Foundation, Inc which has its own board of directors and isn't subject to direct state control. Without the foundation, NCMA as we know it wouldn't exist... and you can say the same thing about the public NC Symphony.

There's a grey scale between private and public for all these institutions. But your point is valid that the High is closer to the private end of the scale than NCMA or VMFA.

Old 06-13-2016, 07:11 AM

6,653 posts, read 5,585,559 times
VMFA is definitely better than NCMA though NCMA is definitely not a bad place either!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary