Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 08:40 AM

595 posts, read 677,215 times

Advertisements

If the thread title means something to you, then I want to hear from you! I am looking to start brewing once again. I haven't brewed since we moved down here, but life has finally settled enough that I'm itching to start back up. Google shows me there are several homebrew stores in the triangle, but I'm curious for specific recommendations. I am going to be building a keezer soon and getting a keg setup is my first priority. If possible, I'd love to purchase it all locally from a small business if possible. Apex/Cary is geographically the most convenient, but I'm happy to drive some distance if there's a killer store out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2016, 08:44 AM

6,654 posts, read 5,590,752 times
Atlantic Brew Supply by NC State/Meredith and Raleigh Brewing is probably the place to go

Old 05-20-2016, 08:51 AM
T|K

891 posts, read 2,496,653 times
Depends where you live, there are a few really good ones. When I was in Durham I went to Bull City Homebrew. Then started going to Atlantic when I moved closer to them. Atlantic has a huge selection and great people, but most all of the local places are great.

Old 05-20-2016, 08:58 AM

725 posts, read 1,501,025 times
Atlantic Brew Supply is the biggest in the area, and they also host the Carolina Quarterly Homebrew competition 4 times a year with the 4 quarterly best in show winners re-brewing their beer for a December show down. Q3 entries are due by July 2nd - https://carolinaquarterlybrewoff.wor...-dates-styles/

There is a new one in Holly Springs, I haven't been too yet but it's in the industrial park (near Carolina Brewing Company) called Home Crafted. I think they used to be open in Apex and then relocated.

Cary has Brewmasters next to Fortnight Brewing on Maynard (near Chatam and Old Apex Roads).

Durham has Bull City Homebrew. Kyle the manager there is always very helpful if you have questions.

Old 05-20-2016, 10:29 AM

79 posts, read 142,892 times
If I lived in Cary/Apex, I'd check out American Brewmaster first, just out of convenience. Never been, but reviews sound pretty good and you can drink beer while you shop.

I used to go to American Brewmaster in Raleigh, close to Capital Blvd when I first started 6 years ago. They were pretty good, but once Atlantic Brew Supply opened, I've gone there pretty much exclusively.

Atlantic Brew Supply is actually inside of Raleigh Brewing Company. It's a lot bigger than Brewmaster in Raleigh - with lots of equipment, and a wide selection of grains, hops and yeast. They have a separate little room where you can grind your grains and bag 'em up. Plus, you can order a RBC beer on tap from the adjoining bar and drink while you shop. Friendly and helpful folks there too. Most of the guys who work there are homebrewers too and are happy to chat about what you're cooking up.

Since RBC is a taproom/bar, it's often a festive environment. Lots of good food trucks most evenings and Saturdays, folks hanging out inside and outside the bar. The husband/wife owners are cool folks, and it's just a fun place. Definitely worth checking out!

Old 05-20-2016, 01:03 PM

369 posts, read 460,243 times
Another vote for Atlantic Brew Supply in Raleigh and Bull City in Durham.

As a previous poster mentioned, Kyle at Bull City is extremely knowledgeable and helpful. We've called him many times with questions and he always gives great advice.

Old 05-20-2016, 01:15 PM

595 posts, read 677,215 times
I really appreciate the feedback!

Old 05-20-2016, 04:04 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,604,601 times
If you are interested in meeting up with like minded individuals, there are a few local clubs. I have been a member of C.A.R.B.O.Y since moving here 10 years ago. There are also smaller clubs in other Triangle cities. Each club has its own dynamic, so if you live near 2 or 3, you may want to try them out and see which one you like best.

CARBOY's next meeting is at Lynnwood Brewing, next Wednesday, and we tend to rotate our meeting place between other breweries and homebrew stores around the Raleigh area.

CARBOY – Cary Apex Raleigh Brewers of Yore

Old 05-20-2016, 04:06 PM

145 posts, read 160,219 times
I always wanted to try making some at home - even came close to buying one of those brew in a box kits. I heard that it can create a pretty strong scent so I haven't gone past the dreaming stage as I live in an apartment at the moment. Once we get a house I'm definitely going to try it out. Just have to outfit a he shed with water and power.

Old 05-20-2016, 09:47 PM

27 posts, read 24,454 times
From the northeast and brewed all the time until we refinished the kitchen a few years back, and since then my carboys, Erlenmeyer flasks and magnetic stirrers have been dormant. My apex home should be done in August and can't wait to get into some more backyard brewing. I'm sure I will miss the cold basement floors for fermentation, but having a garage I can actually use will more than make up for it.

Love to meet up with others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary