Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 12:55 PM

3,395 posts, read 7,772,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
Are y'all into watching professional sports/games, such as NASCAR, football, baseball etc? If so, how do you watch the events the same day, if they are not available on the local Raleigh/Durham area stations? My television watching is either sports, various political & news programming and various educational programming. I very rarely watch other programming. We are not into today's "entertainment" TV at all.
I watch college football and basketball, and a bit of NFL. I'm usually content to watch whatever NFL game is free OTA until the playoffs.

Sling TV was giving me access to the Watch ESPN app and so that gave me ESPN/ESPN2 plus all the ESPN3 stuff (which is a lot). There was one basketball game I really wanted to see that was on ESPN-U, which is a $5/month add-on. I added it to my package, watched the game, then took it off my package and it was all pro-rated, so cost me almost nothing to watch it. All of the NCAA MBB tourney games were available via Sling or OTA.

I've only been with Vue since the NCAA tourney ended, so no real sports experience with it yet. It does at least give me Watch ESPN credentials for ESPN 1&2, plus NBC Sports (is the Tour de France on there?).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2016, 01:00 PM

6,654 posts, read 5,590,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
I watch college football and basketball, and a bit of NFL. I'm usually content to watch whatever NFL game is free OTA until the playoffs.

Sling TV was giving me access to the Watch ESPN app and so that gave me ESPN/ESPN2 plus all the ESPN3 stuff (which is a lot). There was one basketball game I really wanted to see that was on ESPN-U, which is a $5/month add-on. I added it to my package, watched the game, then took it off my package and it was all pro-rated, so cost me almost nothing to watch it. All of the NCAA MBB tourney games were available via Sling or OTA.

I've only been with Vue since the NCAA tourney ended, so no real sports experience with it yet. It does at least give me Watch ESPN credentials for ESPN 1&2, plus NBC Sports (is the Tour de France on there?).
Once the NFL playoffs, all the games are available OTA so if you're content with watching the free games in the regular season, it works out. If you're a die-hard fan of a team, there are so many places to watch the game online (kinda sketch but it does the job ). Or you could go out to a local bar and hang out to watch the game.

Old 05-26-2016, 01:33 PM

5,345 posts, read 3,214,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
Are y'all into watching professional sports/games, such as NASCAR, football, baseball etc? If so, how do you watch the events the same day, if they are not available on the local Raleigh/Durham area stations?
The only sport I follow (as opposed to watch) is baseball so I have the MLB.tv subscription (which I would have whether I have cable or not).

For my current setup, with Sling they have two main packages. One comes with ESPN and ESPN2 and the other has FS1, FS South, (and a handful of other FS channels). I recently switched to the second package. Anything on the local channels I can pick up via OTA but honestly I rarely use my antenna.

Old 05-26-2016, 01:34 PM

333 posts, read 287,311 times
I don't watch sports, at all, but political/ news reporting, all the time.

I get Sirius on my car, and realised I can listen to MSNBC on the phone. I know what the presenters look like, and even if they show graphs they pretty much tell you what's on them...so I listen to MSNBC on the phone every evening and in the car. There are other interesting channels on Sirius as well.

CNN I get on Sling.

Old 05-26-2016, 02:43 PM

5,162 posts, read 7,360,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
I've been in this camp for a long time, but I may be slowing moving towards the other. I really don't watch a lot of TV at all, so if I can get a HD antenna installed in my attic and the whole house wired I may do it. Oh, and I need a good OTA DVR. One thing for sure though - I won't bother with multiple pay streaming services, sharing passwords, shady websites or torrents. That's way too much work for me.
The TiVo OTA DVR is a very good DVR for antenna reception. It is currently available again from Best Buy with the Lifetime Service included for $399. No more monthly fees and it pays for itself in a few months. Excellent program guide, built in apps, and nice menu interface. other choices include the Channel Master DVR+ models or the Tablo.

Old 05-26-2016, 02:49 PM

75 posts, read 253,459 times
Cutting the cord wasn't a price thing to me, but an experience one. I hated having to pay rental fees for boxes with terrible/slow software. Also hated paying an "HD" fee in 2016. I cancelled Uverse long ago and just have TWC Maxx Internet now (300/25) and Netflix, Hulu, HBO Now, and Sling TV + an OTA antenna. I probably pay about the same as when I had cable, but the experience is much better as I can watch on any device (Nexus Player, phone, tablet, PC, etc.). I watch a lot of Sports and Sling TV + OTA have come through, though I can't watch out of market NY Jets game.

Old 05-26-2016, 02:51 PM

Aside from cost savings, antenna reception often offers better video quality due to less compression. And it is also a way to receive more programming choices from various subchannels or stations from other regional markets not carried on cable. As some locations in the Raleigh-Durham area may also receive channels from Greensboro, and residents of Winston-Salem can also receive channels from Charlotte. At my location in Upstate SC, I receive major signals from Greenville-Spartanburg, Asheville, and Charlotte.

Old 05-26-2016, 03:03 PM

It is worth noting that Mohu, a cutting edge developer of sleek, compact antennas is headquartered in Raleigh. They are popular for pioneering the ultra thin Mohu Leaf, using technology inspired from the US Military. And other good, compact antennas are the Clearstream 4V and 2V from Antennas Direct, sold at Best Buy and Walmart. And MCM Electronics online is a good source for basic local and fringe antennas at reasonable prices, from their Stellar Labs brand. Use the coupon source code on their home page when ordering to receive an additional discount. Also for indoor antennas, I find the Terk LOGTVa or HDTVa performs well, and is sold at HHG but cheaper from Amazon. A combo antenna for High VHF and UHF is needed for the Triangle, and sometimes a preamp or distribution amp may help with distant signals, multiple splitters, or long cable runs.

Old 05-26-2016, 03:31 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marialidia View Post
I don't watch sports, at all, but political/ news reporting, all the time.

I get Sirius on my car, and realised I can listen to MSNBC on the phone. I know what the presenters look like, and even if they show graphs they pretty much tell you what's on them...so I listen to MSNBC on the phone every evening and in the car. There are other interesting channels on Sirius as well.

CNN I get on Sling.
But what about Fox News and Fox Business News?

Old 05-26-2016, 03:44 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,501,268 times
I haven't had cable since 2012 and don't seem to miss it. I watch Netflix, Amazon prime and Hulu. It's all on my smart TV, which i can also use to rent and buy movies completely digitally...and I also hook my laptop up via HDMI to play movies/shows I've downloaded. No need for cable thanks new technology I do think that cable will be extinct within the next 10-20 years as more people get smarter and smarter TVs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary