Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2016, 06:55 AM

79 posts, read 79,745 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Chapel Hill in a ground floor apartment and I'd really like to move into an elevator building in either Chapel Hill or Durham.

The things I'm looking for: good natural light, modern kitchen, not crazy expensive, hopefully walkable to something.

I got really excited about the Alexan opening next to Whole Foods in Chapel Hill but I've been emailing them and the rates are too high for me and my husband who is a teacher (around $2K for a 2BR).

Eventually, we'd love to buy a place, but I think even then we'd prefer and elevator building if possible. Maybe that's just not what's being built in the Triangle...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2016, 06:56 AM

P.S. My husband is a teacher, I'm in tech. If we were both in tech, maybe we could afford $2K for an apartment but that just seems crazy to me because things are supposed to be cheaper down here compared to where we moved from (Philadelphia). What happened to the lower cost of living? It's definitely reflected in my salary.

Old 07-13-2016, 07:08 AM

2,024 posts, read 5,917,024 times
The West Village complex in downtown Durham has elevators, but prices will probably not be too dissimilar from what you're seeing in CH.

There's plenty of affordable housing in Durham and even CH, but it will not be in the form of new, high-end luxury apartment complexes! (It will probably be 60s/70s apartments, small SFH's, etc.)

Old 07-13-2016, 09:08 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,587,288 times
I know these apartments exist in raleigh in the 1200-1300 range but I'm not sure about Durham or CH.

Old 07-13-2016, 11:09 AM

19,446 posts, read 27,860,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erin1980 View Post
P.S. My husband is a teacher, I'm in tech. If we were both in tech, maybe we could afford $2K for an apartment but that just seems crazy to me because things are supposed to be cheaper down here compared to where we moved from (Philadelphia). What happened to the lower cost of living? It's definitely reflected in my salary.
I think you're expectations of elevator apartment buildings (high rises) are leading to your frustration. That's certainly common in Philadelphia, the 5th largest city in the US with a population of 1.6million. The population of Chapel is is less than 60,000.

As far as lower cost of living - we moved here from Phoenix, AZ. Our COL has dramatically increased. NOTHING is cheaper, except gasoline.

For those that relocate from the NE, I suspect one of the major benefits of a decreased COL is in Real Estate taxes. Since you are the renter, it doesn't apply (directly). And Chapel Hill is the highest COL area in the Triangle. Maybe consider Durham?

Old 07-13-2016, 11:26 AM

We currently live in Chapel Hill and find it quite affordable. Our monthly rent is closer to $1250, not including some amenties/utilities, for a very modern 2BR/2BA.

The COL is definitely reflected for many of the rentals we've looked at here.

Old 07-13-2016, 02:18 PM

Thanks for all the ideas. I think the Triangle has more luxurious elevator buildings than we were used to in PA.

Old 03-10-2017, 08:37 AM

We ended up renting an apartment in an elevator building in downtown Durham and we love the building and the downtown area. They were doing a special so we could afford it.

Old 03-10-2017, 03:11 PM
DPK

4,595 posts, read 5,731,560 times
Took me a few to realize what this topic was about, but now I get you're asking about apartment builds that have elevators.

I've seen quite a few new apartment buildings that have elevators if the building is 4+ stories. In my complex in Morrisville all the 4+ story buildings have elevators. All the ones 3 and below have just stairs. That might help in your search.

Old 03-12-2017, 03:45 AM

1,527 posts, read 1,482,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erin1980 View Post
The transplants from higher priced areas ruined it.

Maybe your family can afford it, but lots of us on moderate incomes are being forced out of the area just like in NYC.

It will only get worse because transplants are causing needs for infrastructure, and the newcomers and developers are not paying proper impact fees. In fact, NC bribes companies to move here instead to go areas that are in dire need of jobs.

If you are coming here to escape high taxes and get a better quality of life, you might want to think again.

At least Philly has good mass transit. The only passenger rail here is Amtrak.

Last edited by CapitalBlvd; 03-12-2017 at 04:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary