Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 04:50 PM

9 posts, read 8,177 times

Advertisements

Hello all, we are currently living in Upstate New York particularly in Rochester City in Henrietta Town. My hubby is originally and grow up here and I am from the Philippines. When I moved here he is planning to relocate to Austin Texas but I didn't agree with him because it is hotter compared where I used to live and grew up!

After 9 years here in Upstate New York, I'd been really wanting to relocate something warmer and not that much snowy winter season.

Field of Work: My husband is a Web Developer and can stay with his job but can also apply part time to know locals in the area. While I am currently a stay home mom but hold a Bachelors Degree in Hospitality and Tourism Management. I dream to work in an airline company so obviously will be needing to work at the airport or if not in a resort or hotel.

School: We have an 8 yrs old and a 4 yrs old, school is very important to us if it possible to get to an area where Elem- High School is great, ratings between 10-8 would be fine.

Housing: We currently live in a colonial house with 3 bedrooms in a 178,000 with 5,000 yearly taxes. As i look the houses the maximum we can get might be around close to $400k but to be safe if possible 250-350k. We wanted to have a family friendly community, great schools, bigger yard with a swimming pool, yard that we can do some gardens ourselves. If we can have a suburban feel that is nearer to the city?! I'm still buttling between Charlotte and Raleigh but I kinda leaning towards Raleigh. Hubby is not a city person but I grew up in the second largest city in the Philippines in Cebu City so I am a city person. Can we get a house that's in between? So we can have both?

We are fun of biking, hubby very home body person, me and my kids are a little outgoing, museums, park, theme park. Music and arts is my daughter fun thing to do while my 4 yrs old is really into baseball or a very active sporty kid.

In NC I am currently leaning towards Raleigh but any input between Charlotte with our field would be helpful too...

I'm confuse between VA and NC and need help to narrow it down. Hoping I can do enough research and can move next year in the summer time.

Thank you all for the time reading and answering my queries!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2016, 06:27 PM

2,863 posts, read 4,657,467 times
If Rochester was hopping like it was in the 80's and 90's I'd trade with you in a minute! Love that area.

Good luck with your search.

Old 08-22-2016, 06:33 PM

22,614 posts, read 36,512,094 times
Raleigh is in NC, not VA. I think that's the start of your confusion.

Old 08-22-2016, 08:35 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,196,423 times
I think the OP meant they are considering both NC and VA? Not sure.

A big yard with a swimming pool is pretty rare around here, but it all depends on where you want to live. Near amenities? More rural? Near work? Short commute? Long commute?

I'd pick Raleigh over Charlotte if your husband is a web designer. You can live in Cary, Apex, North Raleigh, etc and be in suburb central, but still be 20-30 minutes from Raleigh and/or Durham. However neither are big cities.

RDU would be a great airport to work at, it's small and convenient, but I'm guessing due to its small size it will be more difficult to get a job there. However I imagine it will only be getting bigger in years to come.

Old 08-22-2016, 09:01 PM

34,935 posts, read 36,062,311 times
Did you ask if you can live between Raleigh and Charlotte so you can have "a little of both?"

Nope. They are too far apart with not terribly much in between. I mean, there's the Triad, and it's a nice little area, but it's not as densely-populated as the Triangle (Raleigh area) or Charlotte area.

You are wanting to stay closer to a city (sounds like) with a bigger yard (how big is yours now?) and you know you'll need to spend more money than you spent where you are now on the actual home, so that is good.

Do you know much of anything about Raleigh and Charlotte or was this really a dartboard plus "Best of" kind of crap shoot deal for you so far?

I suggest visiting, first.

Old 08-23-2016, 09:44 AM

19,360 posts, read 27,567,150 times
Drop the requirement for a pool. Much too limiting, but you might find a community pool.

Old 08-23-2016, 10:21 AM

11,188 posts, read 8,218,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Drop the requirement for a pool. Much too limiting, but you might find a community pool.
I agree with this, but it may be helpful to OP to know that many (most?) new communities have community pools that you can join through your HOA, usually for an additional fee, I think.

Maybe having a pool on your property is not as important because of this?

Old 08-23-2016, 10:42 AM

626 posts, read 620,176 times
Maayung Buntag Ate. If you are looking for a nice residential place that you can find a decent home. Then I think the Triangle area (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill) area would be good for you. It has pretty much everything you want and it does have a number of Filipino stores and eateries in the area. The only thing is that the majority of people in NC do not have a pool in the backyard, but you more than likely could find a place with a community pool.

Greensboro/Winston-Salem is smaller than the Triangle but it only has a few Filipino stores/eateries. The majority of the Asian stores are geared towards the Vietnamese/Hmong community there.

Old 08-23-2016, 11:42 AM

606 posts, read 899,570 times
You know it's hot here too right? I'm from Rochester and it's a huge weather difference. Course I'd trade hot for snow any day of the week.

I think you can find everything you're looking for in the the Triangle except the pool would be a challenge. The taxes are much lower here for property but you'll pay them on things like your vehicles.

Old 08-23-2016, 12:12 PM

13,323 posts, read 26,778,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keynate View Post
I'm still buttling between Charlotte and Raleigh but I kinda leaning towards Raleigh..... Can we get a house that's in between? So we can have both?
It is a very bad idea to try to locate between Raleigh and Charlotte. They are much to far apart for reasonable commutes. Raleigh is a better job market for the web developer. However, Charlotte has the better airport since it is a hub.

The couple should choose one place or the other. Both have nice suburbs with some very good schools. To get a large yard big enough for a pool, you would have to be further out in the country in both cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary