Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2008, 08:48 AM

577 posts, read 1,902,539 times

Advertisements

Its heating up and those who think its a short term freak drought issue think again, Jordon has water, Falls still looks empty same area ,close to same rainfall recently why is one so much worse off?,,,,Increased population has strained the water supply for raleigh (for those who say growth has nothing to do with the issue.) Stage three restrictions around the corner and Mayor Meeker wont even disscuss holting the development but he will raise water rates and make residents conserve while developers continue to increase the need for water by building on every inch of land,,Why? could it be greed, for Millions of tax dollars for the new convention ctr followed by the New police Station also millions of dollars. Man its gonna get ugly Now other counties want their right to get water from Neuse supply. This will be here a long time and will have hard economic effects down the road. Raleigh can not meet the needs of its growth with out a Drought. Raleigh Asks Franklin County Not to Drink From Neuse :: WRAL.com ........Raleigh Presses for More Flow Reductions From Falls Lake :: WRAL.com .......Planning Board Says 'Yes' to Expanding Wendell Project :: WRAL.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2008, 02:49 PM

577 posts, read 1,902,539 times
newsobserver.com | Holly Springs stops buying water from Raleigh (http://www.newsobserver.com/news/story/955635.html - broken link)

Old 02-20-2008, 04:12 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,082,798 times
Where does Wake Forest get it's water from?

Old 02-24-2008, 07:57 AM

746 posts, read 1,243,375 times
They have absolutely no right to be issuing building permits for major expansions when there isn't enough water or seats in our school districts.

Global warming in the future is going to make todays NC seem like a rain forest.

Old 02-24-2008, 09:55 AM

4,348 posts, read 7,358,863 times
I think the issue on Falls Lake is the area it gets it water from after a rain. It is smaller than jordan lake's. The growth in Cary, apex, and Western Wake which get its water from Jordan looks as strong as any I have seen in area. Another factor which may be having an effect is the industry in Western Wake pulling from Jordan by it nature uses less water than the industry in the rest of Wake County, and Western Wake is lucky not to have the State Government, or NC State on its system (both listed in top five water users in Wake County). I think the Mayor is right and that this is a problem which will last for decades not just a year or two. The problem needs to be address on as many fronts as we can including developent. As Tom Hanks said in one of his movies "wake up and smell the river". In our case it is if you can find one to smell. We need to learn to conserve water now, or we learn to walk to a truck and get our water in the future.

Old 02-24-2008, 10:35 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,453,062 times
Default Water, water NOwhere. . .

. . . not even a drop to drink. Well said, cncracer.

My fear is that of the little ant in the Aesop's fable, when the grasshopper shows up. Cary is faring far better than its neighbors, and nice folks that we are, we'll be sharing I suspect.

Old 02-24-2008, 10:50 AM

4,348 posts, read 7,358,863 times
I think you are right RDSLOTS. Cary has been cutting water use for longer than most aresa and even prior to any restrictions. Not sure if it is due to the higher water bills or just being aware of the issues. In my house it was both the first $300 water bill resulted in a major reduction in yard water, and now we are having fun keeping track of how much water we can save. We are down from a high 5100 Gallons a few years back to under 3000 gallons now and working toward our first 2000 gallon month. Our major water users are the old top loading washer, and the bathrooms. We are looking at washers which will cut water use now. I am not sure how to cut the bathroom use unless we stop eating and drinking. I guess that would save a little more water too. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary