Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2016, 03:14 PM

62 posts, read 130,524 times

Advertisements

Family returned from a week long trip to Virginia (stayed in a condo rented from a company) and about 48 hrs later noticed bites that look like bedbug bites.

We are trying to set some traps to see if we can ID the problem as bedbugs over the next couple days, but would then call an extermination company to get some quick professional help.

Any experience with a company that did a good job??? Any help with this much appreciated!!

PM me if you dont want to post a company or your experience broadly.

Last edited by funlife1; 09-16-2016 at 03:15 PM.. Reason: clarify
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2016, 07:08 PM

1,836 posts, read 1,599,480 times
I do not have a recommendation, but my sister in law had bed bugs and in her experience the only treatment that worked was with a company that used a heat method raising the temp in the house for 5 hours. I do not envy your situation and wish you the best of luck! I hope the place you stayed will either reimburse your costs ridding you of the bedbugs or return your monies spent on the rental.

Old 09-18-2016, 09:49 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,033,535 times
Hopefully you didn't carry any home. Check everything... if you catch it early you have a chance. The heat method works but it's pricey. My best friend had them and her house was under 1000sqft. It was over 2 thousand if I remember correctly.

Old 10-06-2016, 12:34 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,792,193 times
Try cimexa puffed between your mattresses and box springs or platforms, and around legs of bedframes, and leave it there. It works - really, and within two days. I won't admit how I know, but let's just say I travel a lot, and we found out the hard way. Bedbugs come into contact with it and it dries them out. They die within a day or two. Better yet, they carry it back to the nest, and all the bedbugs there die, too. You don't have to clean up, or do laundry, or do anything else - but I would recommend also doing the linens in very hot water, and drying in the dryer on high. Also, move your beds away from the walls, so that bedbugs have to travel up and down legs, through the cimexa. You can also, in addition, encase the mattresses and boxsprings, but it's really not necessary. The cimexa will work as long as the bedbugs have to cross it to get to you. I would also recommend inspecting your mattresses and boxsprings, and puff cimexa on the seams, too.

You can buy it on Amazon in a 4 oz bottle that apparently works as a puffer, or you can buy a 5 lb bucket and a separate duster puffer on Amazon. The 4 oz bottle should be enough to do all the beds. If you buy the puffer, don't forget to open the screw a bit on the opposite side of the puffer tube - it doesn't come with instructions.

Here is a link to a study in a pest control trade magazine. The stuff works so well that some pros are now using only this - and it's safe to use around kids and pets. Just try not to breathe it in when you're puffing it - might want to wear a mask, and I would recommend doing it in the morning as you're about to leave, and leaving the bedrooms closed up for a few hours, so the dust can settle. Once it's down, it doesn't become airborne again.

[Cover Story] Silica Gel: A Better Bed Bug Desicca - PCT - Pest Control Technology
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary