Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2016, 12:08 PM

112 posts, read 262,069 times

Advertisements

Several years ago hubby and I were considering a move to Triangle, but timing wasn't right. Now his work is shifting into a situation where he'll work mainly from home and travel to clients periodically. So, we're heading to the Triangle this weekend for some exploration.

We're from MN, 50/60 years young, empty nesters, 3 little dogs. Hubby used to travel to Raleigh a lot for business, but never got to really explore the area. We love "on paper" that the Triangle has excellent healthcare, major airport for travel in/out, lush green environment, etc. We also like that there's plenty of restaurants, shopping, cultural things to do within a short drive.

I'd love some ideas on where to look around at housing. Here's our criteria:
[list]
  • New Construction, preferably. $800,000 budget.
  • We'd like a quick drive to restaurants, movies, grocery, Target, etc
  • Lots that have some privacy - don't have to be big, but not just a mowed down subdivision where you see everyone's back yard from yours
  • We'd like to walk our dogs and bike on trails that are right on property
  • A community that's not just families/kids, but NOT a 55+ community - that's not us
  • Super safe neighborhood
  • No airport noise

We don't golf, so we wouldn't want to live somewhere where we're required to join a club.

Thank you very much for any suggestions. We're super excited about our trip to your area this weekend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2016, 12:59 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,347,028 times
Meadowmont in Chapel Hill might work well for you with that generous budget.

Old 11-07-2016, 01:05 PM

112 posts, read 262,069 times
I'll check that out. By the way, what iss "Chapelboro?"

Old 11-07-2016, 01:22 PM

326 posts, read 385,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnetonkamari View Post
I'll check that out. By the way, what iss "Chapelboro?"
A slang combination for the towns of Chapel Hill and Carrboro, which abut one another.

Old 11-07-2016, 01:24 PM

4,264 posts, read 4,718,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnetonkamari View Post
what iss "Chapelboro?"
A contraction for the contiguous towns of Chapel Hill and Carrboro. Don't hear the term much outside Orange County.

Old 11-07-2016, 01:46 PM

2,819 posts, read 2,586,772 times
I'd also check far North Raleigh up by Falls Lake. Not as much new construction but definitely has privacy and square footage in many areas that would also fit your budget.

Old 11-07-2016, 02:20 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,359,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana123 View Post
I'd also check far North Raleigh up by Falls Lake. Not as much new construction but definitely has privacy and square footage in many areas that would also fit your budget.
There are several new neighborhoods and infill near Falls Lake. The lack of nearby shopping and restaurants might make it a no-go, though, as zoning restricts commercial development close to Falls Lake.

Old 11-07-2016, 02:57 PM

2,424 posts, read 3,539,177 times
Chapel Hill is your destination.

Old 11-07-2016, 03:35 PM

1,836 posts, read 1,598,346 times
What about Colvard Farms? It is actually in Chatham county but right close to Southpoint in Durham. Close to shopping and restaurants, not far from the Tobacco Trail, and larger lots with trees.

Old 11-07-2016, 05:56 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,478,752 times
I think you'd like the area around Umstead Park in Raleigh. It's very convenient to shopping and just about everything really, being right in the middle of the Triangle, yet tucked away bordering the Park, which is about 6000 acres of walking and biking trails, as well as 3 lakes for fishing and boating (canoeing/kyaking, not motor boats).

Many of the neighborhoods in that area don't have trails directly in them right now (Umstead is the major draw for cyclists and walkers), but the Triangle Greenways Council is working on connecting the Crabtree Creek trail to Umstead Park. They have already purchased the land to do this and that will put the trailways right in the neighborhood. Right now, trails are very convenient but you do have to cross a two-lane street to access them. The Hamptons at Umstead is one neighborhood you may like in that area that has new construction in that price point. Many, but not all, of the lots are nicely wooded and private.

Another thought is the North Hills area in Raleigh. That area is older but is at the point that lot values have surpassed home values so there are quite a few tear downs with beautiful new construction homes built on them. Because it's older there are plenty of mature trees and there is great access to the Raleigh Greenway system.

Amberly in West Cary is now building new homes that back to the American Tobacco Trail. Amberly has connected their trails in the neighborhood to the ATT. They also have a couple of stocked lakes and fantastic amenities.

Those are just a few thoughts, but honestly, I don't think you would have a hard time finding something you loved that fit all your parameters. I'm not sure why so many people suggested Chapel Hill. There are lots of things about Chapel Hill that are unique to that area, but none of your requirements are in that list. I think you'd find what you're looking for in Raleigh, Cary or Apex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary