Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2016, 12:27 PM

2,424 posts, read 3,538,172 times

Advertisements

Durham schools are not as good as Wake County schools (some consider them bad), Hillsborough is, IMO, outside the Triangle and too far from Raleigh. Chapel Hill city and Carborro schools are the best in the area. RE prices are expensive in Raleigh/Cary and Chapel Hill/Carborro.

I don't have a good solution for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2016, 01:27 PM

21 posts, read 37,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhm5 View Post
Durham schools are not as good as Wake County schools (some consider them bad), Hillsborough is, IMO, outside the Triangle and too far from Raleigh. Chapel Hill city and Carborro schools are the best in the area. RE prices are expensive in Raleigh/Cary and Chapel Hill/Carborro.

I don't have a good solution for you.

Haha- at least you're honest!

Old 11-19-2016, 02:04 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,341,675 times
Well, although I'm not sure I'd agree that Hillsborough is outside of the Triangle, that IS what the cbardnard7 was looking for.

Mebane, maybe. It's on the border of the Triad and Triangle. We have a lot of friends in Alamance County and they go to Greensboro a lot when they go to the big city. They also go to Durham, but less often to Raleigh. Alamance schools are not very great, either.

Hillsborough is about 15 easy minutes to both Durham and Chapel Hill. If you want to be close to UNC and Duke it's a great choice.

Old 11-20-2016, 09:30 PM

2,218 posts, read 2,940,666 times
We live in North Raleigh but also have property in Efland NC which is the neighboring town to Hillsborough. It is only about 20 minutes to Duke and while there is not much retail in the town it is a quick and easy drive to either Mebane or to Durham. People haven't caught on to Efland like they have with Hillsborough and Mebane so prices are still good there and it definitely would be a good investment.

As for Wake Forest (or areas north of there), I would strongly discourage that area. It has been growing leaps and bounds and the traffic is horrendous now in that area!

Old 11-21-2016, 09:38 AM

275 posts, read 330,802 times
What about Bunter? IT's less than 20 mins to Duke and about 30 mins from UNC. It's far enough from the Triangle that it's not growing by leaps and bounds, but not too far enough to do a easy daily commute to Durham. I don't know about Granville County Schools tho, but the area looks nice.

Old 11-21-2016, 09:55 AM

342 posts, read 388,229 times
I would probably look in the falls lake watershed area. The lots are bigger and will never get overdeveloped. The parts in Wake County go to good schools.

If schools weren't a concern or if you can do private/charter, I would recommend the area right at the corner of Franklin, Wake and Granville. It's very near Youngsville, but there are some nice subdivisions in your range. The commute is getting close to your limits but might fall in your limits. It's a really nice area that will probably never get too suburban but you have Wake Forest 10 minutes from there. I lived there for 10 years and it was a perfect mix for me.

Old 11-21-2016, 01:51 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,170,662 times
Wherever the OP lands, I'd suggest looking into some established suburban neighborhoods. Many of these neighborhoods offer more house and land for the money and oftentimes in places near shopping and amenities.
Working in the medical field often means off-commute-hours commuting and could expand the search to RE to a larger area in the Triangle. Just don't expect to be able to go from eastern edge to western edge of the metro in 30 minutes. That's not going to happen under the best of circumstances. But, depending on specific commuting circumstances and schedules with regard to UNC and Duke, the OP may be able to look in N/NW Raleigh along a stretch of I540 or anywhere along I40 from north Cary to Hillsborough in addition to many places in Durham & suburban areas in northeast Chatham County.

Old 11-21-2016, 06:27 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,603,867 times
Hmm...a lot of people are recommending areas that on paper/google map are 20 or 30 minutes away but as rnc2mbfl said, don't expect it. Traffic, ice in winter, etc. etc. I agree with some others that Hillsborough is a great choice.

Old 11-23-2016, 09:33 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,477,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
Hmm...a lot of people are recommending areas that on paper/google map are 20 or 30 minutes away but as rnc2mbfl said, don't expect it. Traffic, ice in winter, etc. etc. I agree with some others that Hillsborough is a great choice.
Actually, Google maps is incredibly accurate for commute times if you use the "Depart at" function. Remember, the OP is working in a hospital setting which might not be traditional hours and commute times.

Old 11-24-2016, 10:24 AM

122 posts, read 98,633 times
Silk Hope, outside Pittsboro? Or Bear Creek, though I think Silk Hope would put you into Northword HS which is better than the HS in Bear Creek I believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary