Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2017, 02:32 PM

743 posts, read 826,419 times

Advertisements

FWIW, Mecklenburg county has committed to their share & the city wants more details before going all in. So i wouldn't put the Charlotte bid in the griund yet unless the Smith's decide not to issue a formal bid
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2017, 09:46 AM

265 posts, read 270,037 times
Recent Sports Illustrated write-up on 6 possible expansion cities. Sac, St. Louis, Tampa, Nashville, San Antonio & Raleigh

Malik talks a little about the possible stadium sites.

MLS expansion: In-depth look at all cities, bids for growth to 28 | SI.com

Old 01-27-2017, 09:52 AM

6,654 posts, read 5,592,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenguista View Post
Recent Sports Illustrated write-up on 6 possible expansion cities. Sac, St. Louis, Tampa, Nashville, San Antonio & Raleigh

Malik talks a little about the possible stadium sites.

MLS expansion: In-depth look at all cities, bids for growth to 28 | SI.com
Reading the report, it appears that upgrading WakeMed is out of the question?

Old 01-27-2017, 10:04 AM

265 posts, read 270,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
Yes, I'd 2nd that assumption.

Old 01-27-2017, 10:20 AM

332 posts, read 398,335 times
San Diego is suddenly ahead of everyone now it appears. This proposal doesn't even have stadium renderings yet, doubt MLS is taking it seriously.

Old 01-27-2017, 12:11 PM

812 posts, read 832,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post

Not sure I agree with this. This is not Malik talking; this is the author of the article, Brian Straus, saying somehow that Malik knows WakeMed won't do for the MLS. As far as I know, mostly from the N&O, Malik has done nothing but shown praise for WakeMed. Also, though he told SI he has narrowed it down to 8 Triangle sites, he recently told the N&O he has already narrowed it down to 3 sites for the bid -and WakeMed is one of them

"Malik also mentioned that the bid has narrowed its focus to three potential sites for a stadium".
http://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/...s-bid-for.html.

Further, the Coach of West Ham United, a Premier League soccer club (England's top professional level... think Manchester United and David Beckham) that played the exhibition game against the Rail Hawks to raise funds for the local LGBT community, is quoted as saying WakeMed is "MLS worthy" (exact words).

"Malik believes that North Carolina F.C. could begin MLS play before a new stadium is built. He cited the top-notch facilities at WakeMed Soccer Park in Cary, which earned rave reviews from West Ham United manager Slaven Bilić, as being MLS-worthy" Soccer: North Carolina FC bid for MLS team | News & Observer

Final thought = the Hurricanes, NCSU, Wegmans and IKEA seem to like that general border area around WakeMed (northeast Cary-southwest Raleigh).

Who is "this guy".... Brian Strauss? All in all, not a very flattering article about the Triangle... in general.... kind of like we are a joke.

Last edited by ncrunner77; 01-27-2017 at 01:01 PM.. Reason: spelling thought

Old 01-27-2017, 12:17 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,850,891 times
Yes, SD is making a big push to land the MLS team since we've lost the Chargers. Want to build on the site where the football stadium is (tear down), build 30k seat stadium with room to expand. Would also hold San Diego State football games. Most major freeways dump into this area and trolley system is already in place, it is a great location.The local sports station is really hyping this, probably because they need something to talk about now that Chargers are gone. We have a very large Hispanic population here as well as transplants from Europe, South America and Asia so there could be enough interest to support it. Dont know much about the politics of soccer but I imagine it's heavy just like the NFL. Since I hope to move to Raleigh in a year or so I'd like to see Raleigh be awarded a team, although I'm not a fan of the sport myself. Good luck!

Old 11-29-2017, 07:53 AM

2,148 posts, read 1,697,594 times
Welp. About those expansion plans for Raleigh...

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/...xpansion-teams

Finalists were Nashville, Sacremento, Cincinnati and Detroit(?).

Old 11-29-2017, 08:11 AM

1,141 posts, read 1,034,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reds37win View Post
Welp. About those expansion plans for Raleigh...

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/...xpansion-teams

Finalists were Nashville, Sacremento, Cincinnati and Detroit(?).
Kind of figured we wouldnt be getting one of the first two expansion teams. Maybe we’ll have a shot for the next two.

Old 11-29-2017, 08:26 AM

6,654 posts, read 5,592,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Y View Post
Kind of figured we wouldnt be getting one of the first two expansion teams. Maybe we’ll have a shot for the next two.
Seems to me that with 4 finalists and 4 teams available down the road, that those will be the 4 expansion teams?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary