Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 10:34 AM

390 posts, read 367,724 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
Found a few older threads, but most seem focused on pediatrics or Raleigh/Cary area. Any dentist recommendations for Durham? Have been seeing James Pyle on Broad St. since moving here, but their sales practices are really starting to disgust me to the point that I question their ethics. Constantly trying to "sell" me on hundreds of dollars in work for asymptomatic "problems" that I've never had before and their tactics seem to be getting sneakier each and every time.

Anyone have recommendations for a dentist who does not belong on a used car lot? Don't want/need anything fancy. Cleaning twice a year and that's about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2017, 01:25 PM

714 posts, read 725,236 times
I go to Southpoint Digital Dentistry. I've only had cleanings there so far, but I'm happy with them. They are right on 54, just west of Fayetteville Road (near the I-40 overpass.

Old 01-12-2017, 03:19 PM

1,322 posts, read 1,540,058 times
My dentist is Dr. Michael Fleming on Hillandale. He has taken good care of me and has never tried to sell me anything. I recommend him.

Old 01-12-2017, 08:44 PM
jgb

480 posts, read 1,346,117 times
Dr. Sapp. Been going to him for 10 years now. He is conservative (in terms of treatment - no idea of his politics). Also, his staff is wonderful and the same people have been there all these years - I think that says a lot. They will file insurance for you but you pay on day of treatment (then hopefully get a check from insurance in the mail), if you use dental insurance.

I want to add that although they do offer some cosmetic dental stuff there like most dentists I have never been offered any of that (and I am sure my teeth could use whitening . . ) so if you see any of that on their website, I would just say that those must be things they can do but will NEVER push on you.

Last edited by jgb; 01-12-2017 at 08:47 PM.. Reason: to add second paragraph

Old 01-13-2017, 06:53 AM

8 posts, read 11,848 times
I've been going to Research Triangle Dental since 2009. Dr. Lopez and Dr. Cahill are bath amazing, and they offer a wide-range of services. They are located off S. Miami Blvd, and have evening and weekend hours which really help with my busy schedule.

Old 01-13-2017, 07:04 AM

3,242 posts, read 3,555,857 times
Dr. Christopher Tope, south of the HWY 54/55 intersection. Been going to him for 15+ years. A real down to earth approach.

Old 01-13-2017, 07:10 AM

635 posts, read 1,619,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgb View Post
Dr. Sapp. Been going to him for 10 years now. He is conservative (in terms of treatment - no idea of his politics). Also, his staff is wonderful and the same people have been there all these years - I think that says a lot. They will file insurance for you but you pay on day of treatment (then hopefully get a check from insurance in the mail), if you use dental insurance.

I want to add that although they do offer some cosmetic dental stuff there like most dentists I have never been offered any of that (and I am sure my teeth could use whitening . . ) so if you see any of that on their website, I would just say that those must be things they can do but will NEVER push on you.
+1

My husband and I also see Dr. Sapp. Have been his patients for 15 yrs. Super nice guy. As per above, has never tried to sell us anything or push for treatments. Office and hygienist staff has very low turnover. Small practice - just him (HT Macon Sapp) and his dad. We always get our insurance reimbursement check quickly, usually within 10 days to 2 weeks of the visit.

Old 01-13-2017, 07:42 AM

1,509 posts, read 2,434,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billunc View Post
I've been going to Research Triangle Dental since 2009. Dr. Lopez and Dr. Cahill are bath amazing, and they offer a wide-range of services. They are located off S. Miami Blvd, and have evening and weekend hours which really help with my busy schedule.
You recommended them before I could. Great practice from dentists on down to the receptionist. I had a coworker whose sister chipped a tooth and nobody would see her on an emergency basis that weekend except Dr. Lopez and she was good as new afterwards.

Old 01-13-2017, 09:18 AM

390 posts, read 367,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgb View Post

Not concerned about what they "can" do or what is on the website. Most hospitals can do a variety of surgeries, but I'd hope they aren't recommending them to everyone who walks in the door just to boost profits. My current dentist is just clearly focused on "This is what insurance will cover so make sure you spend it all!" It is a sad and disturbingly common practice in dentistry and as someone who works in healthcare it is scary to me how little the evidence-based medicine trend has made it into general dentistry.

Thanks for the recommendations everyone. Will look into my insurance options and see what works.

Old 01-14-2017, 10:29 AM

15 posts, read 11,187 times
Anybody know a dentist in the Triangle who still does cleanings himself or herself and really gets to know the patients? Rather than just popping in for a few seconds during a check-up and having the staff do the work? Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary