Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 07:49 PM

43 posts, read 182,732 times

Advertisements

Let me start of by saying we just arrived yesterday and are so happy to be here finally after many visits.

One thing I never noticed before was all the litter along the highways. Whats the deal? I thought PA was bad, but wow I-40 made me think a trash truck dumped everything.

Sorry, just a short rant
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2007, 07:53 PM

168 posts, read 500,357 times
Default litter

I think I recall reading an article that talked about the litter and NC being the state with the most littering.
Don't flame me but I can't remember the source.

Old 09-13-2007, 08:03 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,252,227 times
I've noticed it more and more lately. Up until about a year ago, we just never had this problem. I know that there is a phone number that you can call to report people throwing trash out of their car windows and even their cigarette butts. We really need to put an end to this mess.

I'm just gonna vent along with ya!

Vicki

Old 09-13-2007, 08:21 PM

997 posts, read 4,645,875 times
I seem to agree. It seems to be more noticeable along 40 than some other roads.

Old 09-13-2007, 09:05 PM

35 posts, read 293,061 times
it's so funny, that is the first thing my twelve year old noticed when we came house shopping, or maybe that there are NO other twelve year old boys in the ENTIRE state of NC - ha

Old 09-14-2007, 06:01 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,646,035 times
I've noticed this as well, and I have seen blatant littering around town as well. The first time was shortly after I moved here last year in a bank parking lot. The person went through the drive-thru teller and then chucked a fast food bag full of trash out their window. They could have easily stopped and put it in the garbage receptacle outside the bank, but that would have taken too much effort. What stood out to me the most (besides the fact that people are still doing this kind of thing) was that the car had FL plates on it and I am from FL. It wasn't surprising to me as I have seen people do the same thing in the nicest, most exclusive neighborhoods of Miami, but it really made me sick. Here they are in another state making the rest of us native Floridians look bad.

I also remember seeing someone do the same thing recently near my work. Just chucked the bag right out the window. It just makes me sick!

Old 09-14-2007, 06:14 AM

1,495 posts, read 3,721,903 times
Nothing worse than driving down a road with these beautiful trees and look over and see all the litter. I got so tired of that I got a plastic bag and went down the street and just started picking it up one day on a road I drive all the time. . . . maybe someone will see me and be inspired to do the same. Texas had a very successful campaign "Don't Mess With Texas" that made a huge difference in the litter clean up; I do believe it's Raleigh's time to clean up!

Old 09-14-2007, 06:21 AM

403 posts, read 930,311 times
Anyone been on 540 lately? OMG--it looks absolutely terrible. People apparently have NO problem dumping anything on the road...yuck! You can't wait 10 minutes and find a trash can??? Litter really makes me mad. Have some pride in where you live!

Not bashing-- NC is such a beautiful state. So sad to see the place get trashed by people who could obviously care less about the environment or themselves..disgusting behavior. Funny part is that I was in Ohio for a wedding recently. It looked so well maintained there, even in the urban areas...made me think that NC better be careful. NC's reputation is due to it's physical beauty...start littering and that reputation is bound to change. They ought to put out a new slogan for litterbugs..."Nice job--now Ohio looks better than you do!"

Old 09-14-2007, 06:28 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,105,356 times
540 is awful...there's a bunch of litter in the median right near the 70/540 interchange. It looks like an insulation truck spilled its load or something. I, too, find this increasing litter trend disturbing.

I vividly recall driving through NJ about 15 years ago with a good friend who grew up there and had moved to NC. I commented often about the litter and how terrible it was along the freeway, and he was embarassed about it since it was the state of his birth. Now, I look around and see the same thing along NC's roads...disgraceful.

Old 09-14-2007, 06:37 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,170,204 times
Wasn't like that years ago.

Perhaps some swine are migrating here bringing their bad habits along.

Hope they get caught by a trooper and receive several days community service picking up trash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary