Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 06:24 PM

166 posts, read 163,413 times

Advertisements

I always wondered what the food was like at Kenny Rogers Roasters, whenever I drove by one (without stopping, lol).
Then after they disappeared, I wondered what happened.

Apparently they found popularity in Asia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenny_Rogers_Roasters

Hopefully the same is true for the singing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2017, 07:38 PM

5,162 posts, read 7,362,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
I definitely liked Roy Roger's burgers over Hardee's, Burger King or McDonald's.
And the roast beef sandwich is much better than Arby's. And famous fried chicken. And they have a fixins bar so you can top your own sandwich with fresh items like you want. Wish a franchise would return to NC. The new locations in Virginia and Maryland are doing very well.

Old 03-15-2017, 01:41 AM

610 posts, read 746,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McWallace View Post
I always wondered what the food was like at Kenny Rogers Roasters, whenever I drove by one (without stopping, lol).

We had one when I lived in Florida (it eventually closed though).

The chicken tasted good, but whatever flavoring they put in it would destroy me after eating it (tummyache). I think I ate there twice and that was it. Not worth it.

Old 03-15-2017, 04:55 AM

455 posts, read 919,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McWallace View Post

It's messing up my rods and cones!

Old 03-15-2017, 06:53 AM

678 posts, read 738,526 times
I don't know how Ruby Tuesday's (the chain) stays open. I've nothing but bad reviews for their restaurants, no matter where they are located.

Old 03-15-2017, 07:08 AM

1,029 posts, read 1,925,362 times
Outback's demise is tied to trying to be healthier. Butter when from rich creamy fatty to hard and margarine tasting blah.

All portion sizes were cut to get the calorie count down.

I didn't go to outback to be healthy, I went to get a meal, that more than likely would be my lunch the next day too.

Back in Massachusetts, there was a restaurant called "the ground round", They use to serve free popcorn(the saltiest, butteriest) Once they got rid of the free popcorn, beer sales plummeted and they were out of business.

Old 03-15-2017, 07:34 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,305,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
It's similar to people who like a band until they go "mainstream". Then they're considered "sellouts". Same music, but it's just not cool to like things that a lot of other people like.
^There's more to it than that:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
It's not snobbery - if there's a chain with good food and good service, I'll eat there. Inevitably though a restaurant always loses some of it's originality and quality when it becomes a chain so that's more of a part of it than looking at it and saying "oh it's a chain so I'm not going to eat there". There are good chains out there that I would eat at - probably on the lower end of the spectrum price wise. The more expensive you get though, the less appealing it is compared to some local restaurants with local chefs.
In both cases, going from "grass-roots" to mainstream requires changes. They are not necessarily good or bad, but to operate a band or a restaurant on a larger scale requires those changes.

As it relates to bands (since you brought that analogy), the angst and also the intimacy that makes many bands so awesome when they start is lost when the musicians start making money, and when the venue goes from smokey bar to mega-arena. I am a HUGE fan of Hillel Slovak era Red Hot Chili Peppers. They were playing small bars (I think they played the Brewery on Hillsboro, i KNOW they played the Pteradactyl in Charlotte). They were punk-ass kids with rich parents, but real problems. Many could relate to them, and their songs touched a nerve. They lost their 'brother' (Slovak) to a nasty drug problem and the same addiction shaped Anthony Keidis for decades. Flea was Flea. Fast forward, they are clean, healthy (ish) RICH and selling out stadiums and arenas. The very angst that drove their music is gone. Anthony Keidis recently spoke about how hard it is to remain true to your roots.
LINK: http://www.alternativenation.net/red...ck-stars-lame/

Further, to keep record deals and other sponsors, musicians have to "sell out". For some, it's an improvement, for others it's not. Another example is Green Day. They still make great music, but it's certainly not true to their original fanbase, and there has been much written about that subject, and the lead singer (I can't recall his name) has spoken a lot about how it has shaped him into adult-hood.

Look at the Rolling Stones in the 60s/70s, and look at them now. Still awesome, but not really creating the level of music that they were in Exile, Let it Bleed, or Beggars Banquet...

The same is true for Restaurants. The passion that made a struggling Chef pour his heart and soul for 70+ hours per week in a restaurant (like Emeril) is not present when you visit his mega-place in Las Vegas or elsewhere. The food is still good, but the "experience" is not unique.

And also, about chains. I love good food, and Frequent some chains (I kinda like Ale House), but for some, the joy of 'Dining' is the exploration and the unexpected. It's not simply about eating a meal prepared to formulaic perfection, but about experiencing the meal.

To bring the analogy full circle: To see live music of an up and coming band usually involves improvisation and "feeling" the crowd and responding. To see that band five years later, in Madison Square Garden, they have a written set list, the notes are choreographed to the mega-video screen, and the solos are rehearsed. (with most big bands) if you were to see then next show, in Boston, it would be the same show. All this applies to the meals in a very similar way.

I'm an ex-chef, and I approach meals much like I believe musicians approach music.

Last edited by Myghost; 03-15-2017 at 07:46 AM..

Old 03-15-2017, 09:56 AM

455 posts, read 919,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich6896 View Post
Back in Massachusetts, there was a restaurant called "the ground round", They use to serve free popcorn(the saltiest, butteriest) Once they got rid of the free popcorn, beer sales plummeted and they were out of business.
Now I want to watch Heckle and Jeckle cartoons and step on peanut shells...

Old 03-15-2017, 12:51 PM

2,679 posts, read 2,903,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Very sorry to see Shoney's decline. ..
ditto.

Old 03-15-2017, 05:26 PM

5,162 posts, read 7,362,441 times
^^Bring a Big Boy franchise back to the Carolinas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary