Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 07:58 AM

678 posts, read 739,187 times

Advertisements

Come down to Fayetteville, all there is do is eat out at one of these chain restaurants. We do have some nice Greek owned diners though
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2017, 08:26 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,941,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odisn View Post
Since my wife bought herself a waffle iron, we have waffles for dinner more than I would really care to admit.
We have a waffle iron, the process is a little slow. With my new electric griddle I can make 6 pancakes at a time.

Last edited by Poggly Woggly; 03-10-2017 at 09:10 AM..

Old 03-12-2017, 05:44 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,313,501 times
Overpriced, mediocre food.

Old 03-13-2017, 12:12 PM

5,167 posts, read 7,376,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
Shoney's is one example that comes to mind. There used to be lots of locations in NC, and now there are just a handful.
Very sorry to see Shoney's decline. They used to have multiple locations throughout the Southeast.

But I preferred the original Shoney's when they were part of the Big Boy franchise. Famous Big Boy burger, breakfast bar, and hot fudge cake. Today Big Boy is primarily in Michigan, and there is the revitalized Frisch's franchise in Indiana, Ohio, and Kentucky. And a few Bob's Big Boy locations remain in California. I would love to see one of the Big Boy chains return to the Carolinas.

As for the main regional differences, Frisch's Big Boy uses tartar sauce on their burgers, the Michigan version uses Thousand Island sauce like the old Shoney's, and Bob's Big Boy in California uses red relish and mayo. I would be happy with any of the various versions as they are all good. But believe it or not, the tartar sauce at Frisch's is really good and just may be my favorite.

Old 03-13-2017, 12:15 PM

2,852 posts, read 1,616,617 times
When my wife and I visit KY, (her home state) first things to do on the 'MUST DO' list is to visit a White Castle...
The 2nd thing to do, visit a Frisch's... unless and until we've done that, our trip is not complete.

Old 03-13-2017, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUMF View Post
When my wife and I visit KY, (her home state) first things to do on the 'MUST DO' list is to visit a White Castle...
The 2nd thing to do, visit a Frisch's... unless and until we've done that, our trip is not complete.
Yea White Castle is great when you are in the mood for those famous square sliders. But in the Southeast, your choice is Krystal instead. I believe there is a brief area of overlap in Kentucky somewhere along I-75 where you will see both Krystal and White Castle locations.

And like your wife, whenever I am in Kentucky, I make a point to stop at both White Castle and Frisch's. And I also really like Culver's, but they have finally now expanded into the Carolinas.

Old 03-13-2017, 12:26 PM

I would also like to see Roy Rogers return to NC. Their new locations in Virginia and Maryland are doing very well. Their real roast beef is higher quality than Arby's, and they also have great burgers and famous fried chicken. During the merger years, the Roy Rogers fried chicken was served at Hardee's.

Old 03-13-2017, 12:41 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,296,084 times
Please let all these chain restaurant go the way of the dinosaur! I would much rather support a local establishment and keep the money local instead of a giant corporation with CEO pay through the roof. There's so many wonderful local spots. Yes, many are too pricey, but the mom & pop places are great. Too many of them have been lost to the trendy places. If you're ever in the Triad area there's a TON of really good mom and pop joints. Just look on Yelp. They'er everywhere.

Old 03-13-2017, 01:05 PM

6,657 posts, read 5,600,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hula View Post
Please let all these chain restaurant go the way of the dinosaur! I would much rather support a local establishment and keep the money local instead of a giant corporation with CEO pay through the roof. There's so many wonderful local spots. Yes, many are too pricey, but the mom & pop places are great. Too many of them have been lost to the trendy places. If you're ever in the Triad area there's a TON of really good mom and pop joints. Just look on Yelp. They'er everywhere.
I'd rather eat out less and eat at more local places than eat out more at chain restaurants. Luckily I know how to cook so I'm not eating out every meal

Old 03-13-2017, 07:21 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,284,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hula View Post
You know that chain restaurants likely started as mom & pop right? Here's the history of Buffalo Wild Wings for example: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_Wild_Wings

I never understand why people are so against other people being successful. Why shouldn't the CEO of a successful business be rewarded? Last time I checked, building a successful business is hard work - especially in the restaurant business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary