Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 06:58 AM

288 posts, read 414,030 times

Advertisements

HI guys.
A little late to ask this question as I have been living in Cary for almost a year,
but where I live is an apartment complex on the black creek trail near lake crabtree.

Is there any concerns with drinking water? Does the drinking water in any way pull from the lake or does Cary have sewer or some other kind of water?

Sorry, I know nothing about these things and randomly got a little paranoid this morning thinking about it!

Thanks so much for any info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2017, 07:03 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,382,278 times
From the Town of Cary website:

"Cary's main water supply is B. Everett Jordan Lake. The Cary/Apex Water Treatment Facility (C/A WTF) treats water from Jordan Lake for Cary, Apex, Morrisville, RTP South and Durham."

Town of Cary : Water Supply and Demand

Lake Crabtree is in a different watershed from Jordan lake.

Old 03-10-2017, 07:18 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,766,326 times
Lake Crabtree is a flood control lake not used for drinking water in any wayand takes a ton of runoff from parking lots, yards, etc and is downstream from a site where PCBs were not handled appropriately. That specific site is cleaned up now IIRC, but there were still PCBs going into the lake at one time. Between that and the current runoff, I would not advise eating fish caught in it, but it's OK if you are on it using a boat or paddle board or fall in.

Old 03-10-2017, 07:19 AM

288 posts, read 414,030 times
Thank you guys for the fast response!

Old 03-10-2017, 08:20 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnb View Post
Thank you guys for the fast response!
Yeah... the water in Lake Crabtree is NOT fit to drink. I live nearby. I can tell you that the water here tends to smell kinda gross, though. We have a whole-house filter and it gets rid of the problem. I notice it even in Cary restaurants over on this side of town. No idea why. I never order tap water when dining out. Just bottled. Water tastes fine. Just smells weird.

I do have a really sensitive nose, as does my husband, so maybe it would not bother you at all.

The water filtration system definitely fixes it, though.

Old 03-10-2017, 08:29 AM

1,509 posts, read 2,428,390 times
Quote:
HI guys.
A little late to ask this question as I have been living in Cary for almost a year,
but where I live is an apartment complex on the black creek trail near lake crabtree.
Is there any concerns with drinking water? Does the drinking water in any way pull from the lake or does Cary have sewer or some other kind of water?

Sorry, I know nothing about these things and randomly got a little paranoid this morning thinking about it!

Thanks so much for any info.
I should hope Cary's drinking water isn't sewer water.

For reference, offhand, the various Triangle towns primarily draw water from the following sources:

Raleigh (also Garner, Wake Forest, Rolesville, Knightdale, Wendel, and Zebulon) - Falls Lake
Durham - Lake Michie, Little River Reservoir, Teer Quarry, and Jordan Lake
Chapel Hill - Cane Creek Reservoir, University Lake, Quarry Reservoir, and Jordan Lake
Cary - Jordan Lake
Hillsborough - West Fork Eno Reservoir, Lake Orange

Old 03-10-2017, 10:02 AM

5,888 posts, read 6,955,799 times
Quote:
Is there any concerns with drinking water?
ToC sends out an annual report with lots of detailed information, based on the results of water quality testing.

Old 03-10-2017, 10:12 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,382,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetpalmetto View Post
I should hope Cary's drinking water isn't sewer water.

For reference, offhand, the various Triangle towns primarily draw water from the following sources:

Raleigh (also Garner, Wake Forest, Rolesville, Knightdale, Wendel, and Zebulon) - Falls Lake
Durham - Lake Michie, Little River Reservoir, Teer Quarry, and Jordan Lake
Chapel Hill - Cane Creek Reservoir, University Lake, Quarry Reservoir, and Jordan Lake
Cary - Jordan Lake
Hillsborough - West Fork Eno Reservoir, Lake Orange
Several cities release treated wastewater in to the Jordan Lake watershed. Unless you're at the absolute top of a watershed, you're drinking treated wastewater.

Old 03-10-2017, 10:25 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Several cities release treated wastewater in to the Jordan Lake watershed. Unless you're at the absolute top of a watershed, you're drinking treated wastewater.
I always figured this was the case, but is that why Cary does that huge chlorine (I think that's what it is) treatment every spring?

For some sort of added cleaning of the system?

Old 03-10-2017, 10:29 AM

4,304 posts, read 5,990,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Yep, Greensboro, Burlington, Chapel Hill, and half of Durham all dump their treated wastewater upstream of Jordan Lake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I always figured this was the case, but is that why Cary does that huge chlorine (I think that's what it is) treatment every spring?

For some sort of added cleaning of the system?
Cary traditionally uses a combination of chlorine and ammonia for treating water. But for a few weeks each March, they switch to chlorine only in order to flush the systems of ammonia and ammonia byproducts. Many other municipalities do similar cleansing cycles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary