Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2017, 08:36 PM

6,380 posts, read 5,498,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRaleigh Mom View Post
When we planned our move to NC we crossed Durham off of our list due to schools and crime. I know a lot of people love Durham but it just was not for us.

My husband actually grew up there (and still has family there) and is shocked at how bad the crime is. Sure you can find a nice home in a somewhat safe neighborhood but then you have to drive through pockets of really bad areas. And the bad areas keep spreading and bringing their crime to the nicer areas.

We finally settled in the north Raleigh area (north of 540 west of Capital Blvd) and have been very happy here. We are also a multiracial family so we did want an area with some diversity.
I'm intrigued by this point as it would appear that the opposite is actually happening but obviously everyone will have their own perspective.

High-crime area of Durham seems to increasingly be concentrated in an eastern pocket of the city. SW Durham is and has always been a very nice family area; DT Durham is booming, and even SE Durham is starting to develop more nicely in the past 10 years or so. North Durham is basically blue collar/rural.

Agree with others that it's hard to think of an area in the Triangle that a multi-racial family wouldn't feel welcomed. Then again my family is white as can be so my perspective is likely not the same as someone in a multi-racial family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2017, 08:56 PM

498 posts, read 854,357 times
I think Carpenter Village in Cary would fit your needs. And you even have the (unofficially) required three kids!

Old 04-13-2017, 07:49 AM

22,670 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I love diverse custom neighborhoods!

MacGregor Downs.
Lochmere
Brookhaven in Raleigh.
Yeah, the popularity of .15 acres or less makes it a challenge.

I also wish that we had more design that was appropriate for the site, rather than "Donald Trump Combover" architecture of false facades and crapola, with nothing interesting on the other three sides.
I used to drive through MacGregor on my way to work and it can be interesting to wonder what will come next as far as housing styles, but then every once in a while you get a truly ugly house....and now people are tearing them down which I guarantee will not help.

My old town in NY was filled with lovely old houses and people moved in and started doing tear downs and rebuilding them with questionable design elements given the history and reputation of the town. There was one house about a mile from mine that everyone called the Taco Bell house. That's exactly what it looked like, except it was pink stucco. Or more likely, fucco.

Then there was the teardown on my street that was rebuilt with every design element you can think of that was hot 10 years ago - and that was just on the outside. No theme, no thought, just "this is in style so stick it on the house". It replaced a lovely craftsman. Oh well.

Old 04-13-2017, 01:06 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I love diverse custom neighborhoods!

MacGregor Downs.
Lochmere
Brookhaven in Raleigh.
Yeah, the popularity of .15 acres or less makes it a challenge.

I also wish that we had more design that was appropriate for the site, rather than "Donald Trump Combover" architecture of false facades and crapola, with nothing interesting on the other three sides.
All of those have larger lots, though.

And they're lovely. Well, I like MacGregor best because it's aged enough that you have everything from original properties to originals with additions, to heavy remodels, to teardown-rebuilds, to new construction on empty lots out there.

So much variety, and big lots.

On tiny lots, that would not work.

Old 04-14-2017, 09:20 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,585,698 times
Not sure where in RTP but I'd put north Raleigh on your list. West of capital blvd and near 540 puts you to RTP in 25 mins max. Maybe longer if there's a wreck. Lots of nice neighborhoods with pools. Given your criteria you may like an area like Falls Riverbut it may also be too cookie cutter and not wooded enough. Stone bridge and Harrington grove come to mind but not sure what prices in those have done lately. Most north Raleigh schools are great. Some are year round so not sure your feelings on that.

Old 04-14-2017, 12:35 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,357,618 times
I would include North Raleigh in your search. The general area bounded by I-440 and I-540, west of Six Forks and east of Leesville will provide you with a good selection - Stonehenge, Westlake, Greystone, Springdale, and a lot more. North of I-540 is Stonebridge, Byrum Woods, Black Horse Run, Saddlebridge, etc.. All are established neighborhoods, will have larger wooded lots (~1 acre north of I-540, typically closer to 1/3 to 1/2 acre south of I-540), good schools, and a reasonably short commute to RTP (15-25 minutes, depending on where you live and where in RTP you are working).

Old 04-14-2017, 05:37 PM

2,424 posts, read 3,538,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
sounds like you might like chapel hill. Most older neighborhoods built before the 90s don't have hoas and you can have firepit and whatever else you want in your backyard. You should be able to find a home in an older non-cookie cutter neighborhood for $400k. Families of all races and backgrounds welcome. Great schools. There are club pools that you can join in chapel hill that aren't necessarily neighborhood pools. Some are like heritage hills and some aren't like exchange pool. Check out the summer swim league in chapel hill for more info on pools that participate in that: www.chapelhillsummerswimleague.com/
+1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary