Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 08:47 AM

146 posts, read 295,297 times

Advertisements

Why do I often see small strip like shopping areas with Starbucks, Mattress Firm, and assorted cell phone carriers (sometimes Verizon, maybe Sprint, maybe something else)? Why are these three businesses so often linked? I not only see this pattern here in the Triangle but also in other parts of the country.

I've puzzled this around in my head over and over. Is there an accepted pattern of life that people shop for a phone, then decide to buy a mattress, then have a cup of coffee to wake up? What am I missing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2017, 09:08 AM

66 posts, read 82,668 times
Cost of retail space is cheaper in these locations probably. People going to these 3 businesses only go there for need and not comfort. People go to Starbucks wherever it is because they are addicted/like/enjoy all the crap that Starbucks puts in their cups of $$. Similar logic for the other 2 businesses.
Just my thought.

Old 04-13-2017, 09:21 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,391,919 times
My guess is they are 3 of the most common retail stores in the country. Mattresses are very high markup, the stores carry no inventory and pay on commission, so they re very profitable. Coffee shops need to be able to get people in and out quickly, so there are a lot of those. Cellphone companies are mostly trying to get existing customers to switch carriers or upgrade phones, so I guess a lot of locations helps facilitate that.

Old 04-13-2017, 09:26 AM

I guess I'm curious why there is a common grouping of these stores. The coffee/mattress/cellphone thing? Why do you never see another type of storefront in this mix? Have you noticed this common grouping? Has anyone else been curious about this?

Old 04-13-2017, 09:36 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,391,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecar View Post
I guess I'm curious why there is a common grouping of these stores. The coffee/mattress/cellphone thing? Why do you never see another type of storefront in this mix? Have you noticed this common grouping? Has anyone else been curious about this?
As I said, I suspect its because they are very common...I'd hazard a guess and say they are the 3 most common types of retailers, thus they wind up together frequently.

Old 04-13-2017, 10:40 AM

9,147 posts, read 14,778,942 times
I think that all three probably have more need to be seen easily and have people get in and out of their own parking lot due to their customer traffic. They all tend to prefer being in a small outbuilding, rather than a mall or a larger in-line shop section of a grocery anchored center. However, for a given square footage, a stand alone building will always cost more to build and therefore, rent. Same goes for the amount of land required for the parking and still meet code. So, it makes sense to cluster them in a building together as it's less expensive than if they each had their own yet still out front and more visible,

Old 04-13-2017, 11:13 AM

678 posts, read 739,187 times
If it's one of the low cost cell carriers (Boost Mobile, Cricket, Metro PCS), those are usually in the run down "ghetto" strip malls, that don't have Starbucks or Mattress stores. They'll usually have a "Tobacco Store" or beauty supply store though. See the strip mall off of Hwy 55/54 where the Big Lots is in Durham.

Old 04-13-2017, 01:03 PM

34,941 posts, read 36,288,569 times
Because people like to have a coffee while they shop for mattresses and send photos of the ones they like to their friends via social media for immediate feedback?

Old 04-14-2017, 05:58 PM

129 posts, read 179,148 times
Are We in a Mattress-Store Bubble? - Freakonomics Freakonomics

This podcast is a funny and informative take on the reason for the mattress store bubble. It's worth checking out.

Old 04-14-2017, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpains29 View Post
If it's one of the low cost cell carriers (Boost Mobile, Cricket, Metro PCS), those are usually in the run down "ghetto" strip malls, that don't have Starbucks or Mattress stores. They'll usually have a "Tobacco Store" or beauty supply store though. See the strip mall off of Hwy 55/54 where the Big Lots is in Durham.
Wow! Amazing observation about the low cost carriers being placed near tobacco shops. Now that you mention it, I've seen that same mixture of stores.

This is starting to make some sense. The other store I occasionally see in this grouping (Starbucks/Mattress Store/Cell Phone) is a Gamestop. Maybe the thought is more disposable income.

I wonder if there are other stores/businesses commonly placed together?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary