Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2017, 06:27 PM

37 posts, read 156,213 times

Advertisements

Basically a done deal. My house is under contract and we close in two weeks. All contingencies are removed, so the deal falling apart is unlikely. The only thing we are waiting on now is the end of the school year for my kids, 5 and 7 years old. The buyers don't have any and would take possession now if they could since they are staying in a hotel after selling their place.

I'm moving from Westchester County, NY to Wake County, NC. After injuring myself at work requiring a lumbar fusion and my wife passing away, I need to GTFO out NY. It's too expensive. My brother is moving to Wake County later this year, so I'll have family nearby. I have zero plans to return to NY, other than visiting family; but, I plan on renting first, so that I can spend some time in the area and see where I want to buy a home. My problem is school placement. How the hell do I set this up so that I don't have to pull my kids from school a second time if I decide to buy a home that's out of their district in NC? There are so many elementary and middle schools there, that it seems as if I find a home to buy more than a few blocks away from my rental, they would need to go to a new school.

Any advice is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2017, 06:36 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,302,346 times
Sorry to hear about your situation - lots of credit though.

I think your first priority is to pick an area that isn't growing like crazy. There are parts of wake county that are much more established, and you won't have to deal with capped schools and other school craziness. You may not be able to get into new construction, but I'm not sure that's a priority for you anyway.

Then, pick a school/schools you want, and find a rental. When you're ready to buy, just buy in that same school zone. You may have to sacrifice a little more on the house depending on the urgency, but if keeping your kids in steady schools is your goal, that's your best bet. There's a lot of real estate turnover in this area - I don't think you'd have an issue finding something.

Talk to people in the area, get advice on this forum, and come down and do some significant scoping. I think you'll be able to figure out where you belong.

Old 06-11-2017, 07:02 PM

Thanks M378!

I've decided on Apex, which, unfortunately, is growing like crazy, though I don't know for how much longer. I'm looking at Olive Chapel for their elementary school and there are some nice places available for rent nearby. I just hope I'm not restricting myself too much when it comes to buying, which would be less than a year from now. Ultimately, I want them in Apex or Apex Friendship high school, but that's awhile off.

Old 06-11-2017, 07:17 PM

6,400 posts, read 5,527,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weapon X View Post
Thanks M378!

I've decided on Apex, which, unfortunately, is growing like crazy, though I don't know for how much longer. I'm looking at Olive Chapel for their elementary school and there are some nice places available for rent nearby. I just hope I'm not restricting myself too much when it comes to buying, which would be less than a year from now. Ultimately, I want them in Apex or Apex Friendship high school, but that's awhile off.
Schools get reassigned in Western Wake pretty often. Don't fret too much about your kids changing schools because of a move because there's a decent chance they would get moved anyways.

When I was in elementary school when my family lived in NW Raleigh I started out at Leesville Elementary and then got switched to Hilburn. We moved to Cary and got switched from Adams to Dillard. Moved to Apex after that and my sister went to Salem Middle and then got switched to Apex Middle. I went to Apex High and my sister, 3 years younger, went to Panther Creek High. My youngest brother started out at Olive Chapel elementary and by 2nd grade was switched to Baucom, He will start out at Green Level High School next year as a Freshman and move to the new Apex High his junior year.

Old 06-11-2017, 07:17 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,302,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weapon X View Post
Thanks M378!

Yeah that area is probably one of the most rapidly growing in wake county, and will be for some time. If you're looking for school stability, it may not be the best choice.

Others on here will likely have more info than I.

Old 06-11-2017, 07:30 PM

When I buy, I want a nice piece of land, at least half an acre, so I'll need to find where those homes are located and rent there. I don't want one of those tiny lots that all these builders are doing now to squeeze in so many homes. I'd love to not see my neighbor's house when looking out my windows.

Old 06-11-2017, 07:35 PM

61 posts, read 54,892 times
There aren't any new elementary schools coming online in Apex for at least the next four years. The wild card is whether Wake will wind up reassigning students to try to meet the state's new K-3 class size limits that mostly go into effect in 2018. With Apex Friendship Middle opening in 2018 and Green Level High coming online in 2019, you'll see some secondary school shifts with Apex families.

Pages 12-17 of the link below are the schools Wake is looking at potentially impacting the next few years due to new schools opening. Once again, this doesn't include what might happen due to the K-3 class size limits.

https://simbli.eboardsolutions.com/M...92740&MID=3318

Old 06-11-2017, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRaleighite View Post
There aren't any new elementary schools coming online in Apex for at least the next four years. The wild card is whether Wake will wind up reassigning students to try to meet the state's new K-3 class size limits that mostly go into effect in 2018. With Apex Friendship Middle opening in 2018 and Green Level High coming online in 2019, you'll see some secondary school shifts with Apex families.

Pages 12-17 of the link below are the schools Wake is looking at potentially impacting the next few years due to new schools opening. Once again, this doesn't include what might happen due to the K-3 class size limits.

https://simbli.eboardsolutions.com/M...92740&MID=3318
Thanks!

Old 06-11-2017, 08:49 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,268,693 times
if you want a 1/2 acre of land, what age of home do you expect to buy, and what do you expect your budget to be?

Old 06-12-2017, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
if you want a 1/2 acre of land, what age of home do you expect to buy, and what do you expect your budget to be?
Age of the home doesn't really matter. I'm not interested in a fixer upper though. I'm looking at around 350K. I can go higher but I really don't want to. If I need to expand my search to Cary or Holly Springs, I'll do that. My own real consideration is good schools.

Last edited by Weapon X; 06-12-2017 at 03:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary