Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 11:04 AM

104 posts, read 172,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by farebluenc View Post
My Australian friend visited Boston and told me that she ate at an amazing Mexican restaurant called....CHIPOTLE.
Most folks around here think Qdoba is the 'best' Mexican food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2017, 11:07 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broknrekord3 View Post
Yes, the desirability of location is the factor I'm trying to figure out. Is it justified, or are you paying for a 'good neighborhood now' versus a 'future comparable neighborhood' or just simply a 'lesser neighborhood, and that's all it's ever going to be'. .
Only you can really make that decision; many people who are moving here are moving with school age kids ... and if they are from an area with good schools don't really feel like taking a possible step back in that regard. Same with the neighborhood where they live....we moved here from an exceptionally nice village on Long Island; we weren't really interested in a gentrifying area. So a lot of it comes down to perspective. That's why homes in my neighborhood sell fast, as do the ones in surrounding neighborhoods; great schools, pretty stable school assignments, kind of "it is what it is", I guess you would say. Also, there are plenty of people who are moving here, who deep down inside are ambivalent, and it's very important to them to show the folks "back home" LOOK WHAT I GOT 'CAUSE I MOVED TO NORTH CAROLINA. So they are following where all the other transplants go.

Finally, RTP remains one of the biggest employment centers here. People aren't going to live in South Raleigh if they can live in west Cary for the same price and be that much closer to work. People don't do crazy commutes here like they do up north.

Now my nephew is buying a house, in his early 20s....he's not so concerned with these things either. Nor should he be. When he needs to be he can move.

One things that is hard to gauge when you're moving here is the size of the area....in some ways, it is very spread out, but in others what looks crazy far on a map becomes "not that far" when you've lived here for a while. With kids who are not in school and doing weekend activities, you are free to roam whenever you want, and should consider renting "wherever" and taking in the whole Triangle so see where you really want to live. You won't necessarily be stuck where you rent.

Old 07-21-2017, 11:55 AM

326 posts, read 384,943 times
Quote:
Yes, the desirability of location is the factor I'm trying to figure out. Is it justified, or are you paying for a 'good neighborhood now' versus a 'future comparable neighborhood' or just simply a 'lesser neighborhood, and that's all it's ever going to be'. I'm just trying to figure out if the plans for this area seem to suggest that it will eventually be developed in a similar manner. I can read all about this development and that which are going up, but it's hard to tell how much of an impact these will have on future safety/value/schools/things to do/etc. I have no problem living in an 'up and coming' neighborhood, as long as there's a long-term vision for the development of the area. Around here, there's never any planning or organization, and it seems like Raleigh has some sense of planning. Of course, from the outside, usually cities appear to be more organized than they actually are. The only way you'll find out is from talking to people that are already there and have been there.
The two biggest differences in desirability between the N. Raleigh location and S. Raleigh location you're referring to are: 1) the fact that the N. Raleigh location is more established, and 2) the fact that the N. Raleigh location is closer to RTP, a big hub of high paying jobs. Eventually, I think the S. Raleigh area you're referring to (down in that area where Raleigh, Cary, Apex, and Holly Springs come together) will become relatively well established like the N. Raleigh area already is. But the S. Raleigh area is always going to be further from RTP and, therefore, somewhat less desirable (i.e. less expensive).

I would hesitate to say Raleigh has much of a sense of planning, and even less so for Apex or Holly Springs. The two latter ones are in full blown development explosion right now and infrastructure is straining to keep up.

FWIW, I think a big chunk of the $100K difference in those two M/I neighborhoods really is in the land. In that area of N. Raleigh, $175K will get you 0.25 acres; in that area of S. Raleigh the same $175K will get you 2-3 acres...10-fold more for the same price.

Old 07-21-2017, 12:07 PM

569 posts, read 440,247 times
Quote:
That's the impression I'm kind of getting so far. We absolutely loved it, and compared to Boston you are getting a lot for your money, but if I can save $100k just to be 15 minutes south in an area that will be similar to North Raleigh in 10 years, I'm all for putting in my time!
It's hard to say how long those areas will take to become more established. I know that I work in Cary now and my commute is around 20-25 minutes from where I live in N. Raleigh. I would absolutely rather live where I do than in Cary/Apex/Holly Springs. I don't want to wait 10 years for the mostly chain restaurants to go out and local restaurants to move in. I'm not saying there are no local places there but you find less of them in newer strip malls and development than the ones tucked into many of the older shopping centers in N. Raleigh. I like the many trees I see in N. Raleigh vs. newly developed areas where the land is stripped bare. I like being able to bike/hike/or run in Umstead State Park and to be able to get there in 10 minutes. I feel like my overall quality of life here is better than if I lived further out in the up and coming areas.

Would you be working in Downtown Raleigh or RTP?

Old 07-21-2017, 12:29 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,575,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
A little Off topic, I know, but "amazing Mexican food" in the Triangle????

After living in Phoenix for 25+ years, and part time in Mexico for two years, I must say that one of the very few things that disappoints us about the Triangle is the Mexican restaurants. DH simply refuses to try anymore of them, preferring to wait until our annual trip back to phoenix.
I often hear that the pizza and/or Chinese food in the Triangle falls short and laugh about it; the people cooking Chinese food in Raleigh are the same people who do so up North, only they settled here instead. And the people making pizza in Raleigh are quite literally the same people who did so in NY/NJ, they moved here just like everyone else.

My point is, I've had some amazing Mexican food here, and I've had great Mexican in Texas, Arizona, and California. The same people making it here are also (like the Chinese food and pizza makers) the same people doing so elsewhere, it's not like the restaurants here are staffed by farmers and auto mechanics. I've found that many people who claim the food here is less than are heavily influenced by their memories and the atmosphere/environment.

Old 07-21-2017, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Now my nephew is buying a house, in his early 20s....he's not so concerned with these things either. Nor should he be. When he needs to be he can move.

One things that is hard to gauge when you're moving here is the size of the area....in some ways, it is very spread out, but in others what looks crazy far on a map becomes "not that far" when you've lived here for a while. With kids who are not in school and doing weekend activities, you are free to roam whenever you want, and should consider renting "wherever" and taking in the whole Triangle so see where you really want to live. You won't necessarily be stuck where you rent.

I will say, driving around, I didn't realize the land mass size of the city as you're saying. But the lack of traffic throughout the city makes a huge land mass feel small. Here, I have a 30 minute commute, and compared to most folks, it's pretty short. My wife is about an hour. If we can do that or less, we're happy. The challenge for us with renting and then investigating the whole of Raleigh is trying to do so with two kids. Further, it's hard to understand the ever-evolving Raleigh developments. I think we're between you and your nephew; we've got some time to allow an area to develop--errr, gentrify-- as long as it's within the next 10 years or so. I appreciate the perspective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeru408 View Post
The two biggest differences in desirability between the N. Raleigh location and S. Raleigh location you're referring to are: 1) the fact that the N. Raleigh location is more established, and 2) the fact that the N. Raleigh location is closer to RTP, a big hub of high paying jobs. Eventually, I think the S. Raleigh area you're referring to (down in that area where Raleigh, Cary, Apex, and Holly Springs come together) will become relatively well established like the N. Raleigh area already is. But the S. Raleigh area is always going to be further from RTP and, therefore, somewhat less desirable (i.e. less expensive).

That's exactly what I was trying to figure out. I was hoping maybe some of the development planning would contextualize the timeline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckeeesmom View Post
It's hard to say how long those areas will take to become more established. I know that I work in Cary now and my commute is around 20-25 minutes from where I live in N. Raleigh. I would absolutely rather live where I do than in Cary/Apex/Holly Springs. I don't want to wait 10 years for the mostly chain restaurants to go out and local restaurants to move in. I'm not saying there are no local places there but you find less of them in newer strip malls and development than the ones tucked into many of the older shopping centers in N. Raleigh. I like the many trees I see in N. Raleigh vs. newly developed areas where the land is stripped bare. I like being able to bike/hike/or run in Umstead State Park and to be able to get there in 10 minutes. I feel like my overall quality of life here is better than if I lived further out in the up and coming areas.

Would you be working in Downtown Raleigh or RTP?
I've met with a few firms and I have some options in both North Raleigh, downtown, and right around the Cary/Raleigh line, so my location doesn't matter too much. My wife, however, will be at NCSU, so for her South Raleigh makes a lot of sense. However, she's not as big of a fan as I am about living someplace a bit more rural, so knowing that there is going to be that development over the near future (decade) I think will help her adjust a bit better while also having a shorter commute and saving some money. Or, we'll end up just doing North Raleigh and I'll have to push back retirement a decade

Old 07-21-2017, 12:44 PM

3,307 posts, read 8,560,653 times
OP, I'm getting confused when you mention South Raleigh. Raleigh city limits don't go too far south of I-40 at all. I'm assuming you mean areas of Cary, Apex, Holly Springs, etc?

Old 07-21-2017, 12:51 PM

I've met with a few firms and I have some options in both North Raleigh, downtown, and right around the Cary/Raleigh line, so my location doesn't matter too much. My wife, however, will be at NCSU, so for her South Raleigh makes a lot of sense. However, she's not as big of a fan as I am about living someplace a bit more rural, so knowing that there is going to be that development over the near future (decade) I think will help her adjust a bit better while also having a shorter commute and saving some money. Or, we'll end up just doing North Raleigh and I'll have to push back retirement a decade [/quote]

There are always compromises That being said, I suggest you look into existing homes as well. I know you mentioned the appeal of new but there are a lot of homes that have gotten to the age that they are in great location and already had a lot of upgrades and are well maintained. You're just not going to get the kind of great yard and location with the new homes that you get with the older ones because those prime areas are already built up.

What was your budget again? There is a brand new neighborhood going in near mine in NW Raleigh by Terramor Homes. I'm not sure how they compare to the other builders you are looking at but the sign outside the neighborhood says 400's.

Also on Pinecrest there is a new neighborhood by Ashton Woods called pinebrook hills. I think it is upper 400's to mid 500's.

If your wife is going to work at NC State, I would not look to far east in N Raleigh. Stay near the middle or preferably western side to enable easy commute.

Old 07-21-2017, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
OP, I'm getting confused when you mention South Raleigh. Raleigh city limits don't go too far south of I-40 at all. I'm assuming you mean areas of Cary, Apex, Holly Springs, etc?
For example, Pritchett Farm is one area we've looked at, which is two minutes south of 40. We've looked at some newer developments maybe 5-10 minutes south of that as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckeeesmom View Post

There are always compromises That being said, I suggest you look into existing homes as well. I know you mentioned the appeal of new but there are a lot of homes that have gotten to the age that they are in great location and already had a lot of upgrades and are well maintained. You're just not going to get the kind of great yard and location with the new homes that you get with the older ones because those prime areas are already built up.

What was your budget again? There is a brand new neighborhood going in near mine in NW Raleigh by Terramor Homes. I'm not sure how they compare to the other builders you are looking at but the sign outside the neighborhood says 400's.

Also on Pinecrest there is a new neighborhood by Ashton Woods called pinebrook hills. I think it is upper 400's to mid 500's.

If your wife is going to work at NC State, I would not look to far east in N Raleigh. Stay near the middle or preferably western side to enable easy commute.

If I can get over 10,000 sq feet of land, that's already double what we have now and I'd be fairly happy. Our budget is up to 650k, but I'd like to be closer to 400ish. M/I's Juniper in Pritchett Farm sells for in the low 400s, which is my wife's dream house. In N. Raleigh the same exact house is 550k, although I'm fairly certain they will be done and sold before we're ready to buy, so it doesn't really matter. I actually did see Pinebrook hills, but we didn't really like the layouts they offered. They were all just really big homes and more than we need. Terramor seems to build a decent house, but they are only building townhomes in Raleigh at the moment.

If we were going to buy used, I think it'd have to be something only a few years old-- and it would have to be exactly what we're looking for. Maybe if we're lucky some homes being built today will be up again for sale in 2 years!

Old 07-21-2017, 01:12 PM

Quote:
For example, Pritchett Farm is one area we've looked at, which is two minutes south of 40. We've looked at some newer developments maybe 5-10 minutes south of that as well.

If I can get over 10,000 sq feet of land, that's already double what we have now and I'd be fairly happy. Our budget is up to 650k, but I'd like to be closer to 400ish. M/I's Juniper in Pritchett Farm sells for in the low 400s, which is my wife's dream house. In N. Raleigh the same exact house is 550k, although I'm fairly certain they will be done and sold before we're ready to buy, so it doesn't really matter. I actually did see Pinebrook hills, but we didn't really like the layouts they offered. They were all just really big homes and more than we need. Terramor seems to build a decent house, but they are only building townhomes in Raleigh at the moment.

If we were going to buy used, I think it'd have to be something only a few years old-- and it would have to be exactly what we're looking for. Maybe if we're lucky some homes being built today will be up again for sale in 2 years!
The Terramor neighborhood across from us looks like detached single family to me. Leesville Grove is the name of the neighborhood and they just broke ground on the initial grading and infrastructure. If you liked what they are offering, you might be able to get into that. I think the elementary school is sycamore creek and highly rated as well. I looked on their website and you can sign up to be notified when presale happens. It's a small 21 lot neighborhood.

One other thing that is happening here in N. Raleigh is that small open areas are now seeing infill development. There are opportunities to get into very small neighborhood pockets surrounded by established neighborhoods. I think some of the custom builders are buying lots and then building to suit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary