Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2017, 07:31 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times

Advertisements

We've put an offer in on a house, 50 y/o house, are in due diligence. We had the inspection and the termite inspection. The Termite Inspector found some evidence of termite activity at some point, nothing to be alarmed about and typical of a house of that age. He recommended we get the house treated and keep up with the treatment warranty. The seller said he would be treating it without us even asking, so that's good.

I go on google and find different options in the area, but most seem to want to sign you up for a subscription type maintenance service.

If that's the wisest course of action, fine, but I am generally a little cautious about signing long term service contracts.

So, how do you best "maintain" for long term termite prevention?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2017, 08:39 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,382,278 times
I don't live in Raleigh, but I paid an exterminator to do an initial treatment (can't remember the amount, maybe $300), and pay a "termite bond" of $80 year that essentially provides an insurance policy against any future termite damage. They come out and check annually for signs of new termite infestation.

Old 08-04-2017, 09:52 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
to get an actual termite bond generally requires a comprehensive treatment upfront (most frequent I've heard is about $1500), and then the annual inspection at $80-120. Most bonds I've heard of are 10 year. If you get termite activity, they then treat it for free. That's for the risk-averse folks, and is a good idea if there's ACTIVE termite damage, especially in the structural members of the crawl space.

Otherwise, you can certainly have it spot-treated now, whoever is paying for it, and then do either an annual inspection (<$100) or even every couple of years.

I'm on a quarterly bug contract, and if they saw something glaring they'd let me know. I did have a minor infestation - it was like a hatching of termites - on the exterior of my garage doorframe, and they treated it then for ~$300. I've owned the home 10 years and haven't had specific termite inspections.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary