Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2017, 05:33 PM
Cq3 Cq3 started this thread

7 posts, read 5,443 times

Advertisements

I currently am a high school special ed teacher in Las Vegas. I am still exploring my options for my move in the near future, but Raleigh-Durham region is on the top of my list. I'm hoping that someone familiar with the school districts in the area will be ale to help me out. I was looking at job postings and I see a lot for high school and middle school listed as cross categorical. What does this mean? Is it a co-teaching position (float) or a a single classroom teacher only for special ed students (like resource)? Also, is co-teaching a "thing" in NC? It's very common in NV and I've done both co-teaching and resource.

Bonus question:: what is the difference between general curriculum and cross categorical, in regards to license?

All help appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2017, 07:55 PM

22,678 posts, read 36,831,891 times
Can depend on the school....it can be pulling kids out in small groups (both those who are academically challenged and those who are academically gifted). Sometimes it is a push-in position or even some combo of pull out and push-in. It can also mean having small groups of kids as a class who need extra help with everything from their work to their organization. My son had a class in middle school called curriculum assistance which was like study hall but with an actual teacher but i know my friend's kids' middle school did not have that.

I can't say if co-teaching is a thing across the state and I'm not sure exactly what it mean to you anyway, so you'd have to be more specific....do you mean two teachers in the same class? I know of an elementary school that is doing that this year. Or do you mean two teachers with the same group of kids and you each split the subject matter in your own classrooms? That is very common here in the higher elementary grades, where the kids switch classes between two teachers, generally one teacher handles math/science and the other lang art/social studies.

Old 08-02-2017, 09:22 PM
Cq3 Cq3 started this thread

7 posts, read 5,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Can depend on the school....it can be pulling kids out in small groups (both those who are academically challenged and those who are academically gifted). Sometimes it is a push-in position or even some combo of pull out and push-in. It can also mean having small groups of kids as a class who need extra help with everything from their work to their organization. My son had a class in middle school called curriculum assistance which was like study hall but with an actual teacher but i know my friend's kids' middle school did not have that.

I can't say if co-teaching is a thing across the state and I'm not sure exactly what it mean to you anyway, so you'd have to be more specific....do you mean two teachers in the same class? I know of an elementary school that is doing that this year. Or do you mean two teachers with the same group of kids and you each split the subject matter in your own classrooms? That is very common here in the higher elementary grades, where the kids switch classes between two teachers, generally one teacher handles math/science and the other lang art/social studies.
When you explained your son's class, that made me think of a class we have that is actually called study skills. It would be written into the students IEP. But I have heard a lot of districts offer that kind of class outside of just special education. Co-teaching is for special ed students. It's a general education class with a mixture of both students with and without IEPs. Basically there's 2 teachers in the class, 1 general education and 1 special education teacher. A lot of elementary does this because it's early interventions but at the middle and high school levels it's more so done because it's written into IEP... good way to service many students and they still receive grade level curriculum, just with supports in the classroom.

Last edited by Cq3; 08-02-2017 at 09:34 PM..

Old 08-03-2017, 06:51 AM

22,678 posts, read 36,831,891 times
Yes, I guess what you'd call "co-teaching" is what we call a "push-in" where the SPED teacher pushes into the classroom and helps the students who need extra help. My son has a push-in for math and language arts. Curriculum assistance is definitely only for kids with an IEP here.

Old 08-07-2017, 03:41 AM

1,527 posts, read 1,482,654 times
North Carolina is a bad place to teach unless you are in something awful in Vegas.

No union. All public school teachers work for the state and have a horrible health plan. Recently, the legislature tried to end tenure.

Many teachers have left when the legislature showed that the desired teachers were new ones with little experience who could be hired for less.

Special ed jobs should be plentiful all over. Think hard before selecting NC.

Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary