Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 08:47 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,277,254 times

Advertisements

If you have a technical position and interviewed locally for it, were you expected to either answer technical questions based on your resume contents, or given a test to demonstrate your skills?

I'm still working remotely for my NY employer for a few months, but I'm searching for my replacement and anyone we interviewed in person has been taken aback a bit by the questions we're asking. These aren't very complicated questions, and I don't think we're out of line for asking especially since they've put it on their own resume as a skill.

Most likely, I will be interviewing after November in Raleigh/Durham so I'm curious if that's something you might see here too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2017, 08:53 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,178,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenie72 View Post
If you have a technical position and interviewed locally for it, were you expected to either answer technical questions based on your resume contents, or given a test to demonstrate your skills?

I'm still working remotely for my NY employer for a few months, but I'm searching for my replacement and anyone we interviewed in person has been taken aback a bit by the questions we're asking. These aren't very complicated questions, and I don't think we're out of line for asking especially since they've put it on their own resume as a skill.

Most likely, I will be interviewing after November in Raleigh/Durham so I'm curious if that's something you might see here too.
I'm not sure what local or remote has to do with the question?

But as far as the questions:
  • If it is on the resume you should ask and expect good answers.
  • If it is not on the resume, you can ask, but if there is no good answer - then what did you expect? You agreed to interview the candidate based on his resume, why would you now ding them if something you want is not there?
  • Personally, after the first, I never did "tests" again.
    • Many times they were filled with questions that real programmers didn't bother to learn the answers to because they were not every day issues. For example:
      • A programmer could spend a year working in an IDE - be very experienced, yet a third of the questions could be about deployment of the resulting application. Something that another group could be responsible for. Or more common, something the programmer in question only does once in a year or two and therefore needs to consult a manual for.
      • A IDE can have many features that are NEVER used by any programmers. Yet there are a bunch of questions about those features.
      • People cheat. I heard stories (so this is anecdotal) about 5 guys getting in a room to "team answer" the questions on a test. Then the interviewee gets hired based on great answers and again - no clues as to how to proceed.
    • Many times, you are interviewing based on your skill with a certain version, yet the test is for another version, and it could make you look bad.
    • Too many times the test was keyed with your SSN and if you get a bad test, you could be tied to that test forever; depending on who had access to it.
    • In a live technical interview, you may not get the entire question exactly right (who memorizes a technical document?), but if the person giving the interview is knowledge they will likely know what you are saying - even if you don't get the wording exactly right.
    • A True/False or Multiple choice computer scored test only gives you a pass fail - it has no nuance.
    • Personally, I have met too many people who CAN quote a document back and forward; who couldn't figure out how to get the IDE started.
  • The best technical interview - IMO - results will come from having people who know the development environment formulate, ask, and hear the answers to questions.

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 08-22-2017 at 09:14 AM..

Old 08-22-2017, 09:00 AM

2,844 posts, read 2,982,655 times
Give an example lol

Old 08-22-2017, 09:03 AM

346 posts, read 339,727 times
Depends on how senior the position is. If you are at the architect level or are a coder expect to do some white boarding. My advice is be prepared to defend anything on your resume from your last two positions.

Old 08-22-2017, 09:04 AM

2,009 posts, read 3,588,966 times
It's amazing the number of folks that put stuff on their resume who can't answers questions about it. I always ask questions about random parts of the resume not related to the job their are interviewing for just to see the bull **** factor.

Old 08-22-2017, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclarksn9 View Post
Depends on how senior the position is. If you are at the architect level or are a coder expect to do some white boarding. My advice is be prepared to defend anything on your resume from your last two positions.
I think I would prefer a dynamic thinker and proficient googler than someone with encyclopedic recitation of documented information

If the need to write code they need to write code but working with things in projects merits putting on your resume even though the scope and depth may not map to your needs

Old 08-22-2017, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinner View Post
It's amazing the number of folks that put stuff on their resume who can't answers questions about it. I always ask questions about random parts of the resume not related to the job their are interviewing for just to see the bull **** factor.
That's exactly what's happening. This isn't a development position. It's IT support, desktop and network. So there's questions about specific skills or protocols listed and 'what would you do' scenarios based on problems we've seen in our environment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
I think I would prefer a dynamic thinker and proficient googler than someone with encyclopedic recitation of documented information

If the need to write code they need to write code but working with things in projects merits putting on your resume even though the scope and depth may not map to your needs
As an example, we had someone who listed firewall configuration and security on their resume but couldn't tell us what NAT stood for. Once we told them, they couldn't tell us why it was needed or what it was translating.

Even if you don't know what DHCP stands for, you should be able to explain what it is, how it works, and what you do if you're not getting a DHCP address for a client.

Old 08-22-2017, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
I'm not sure what local or remote has to do with the question?
I just moved to Raleigh, so I'm not making assumptions that the way we did it in a different place is the same here. To me, it's normal and common sense based on my experience but I have a lot to learn about my new area.

Old 08-22-2017, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenie72 View Post
That's exactly what's happening. This isn't a development position. It's IT support, desktop and network. So there's questions about specific skills or protocols listed and 'what would you do' scenarios based on problems we've seen in our environment.

As an example, we had someone who listed firewall configuration and security on their resume but couldn't tell us what NAT stood for. Once we told them, they couldn't tell us why it was needed or what it was translating.

Even if you don't know what DHCP stands for, you should be able to explain what it is, how it works, and what you do if you're not getting a DHCP address for a client.
Without looking nat is network address translation and dhcp is is dynamic host Configuration protocol and they both due with managing and registering connections on the LAN. Can I have job

I mean resume inflation is real he could of simply just been managing whitelists

I had a course in networking but most of my day to day is project management so I dunno I think some accommodation could be made that people don't work your job requirements in their other job but could still be a fit

Old 08-22-2017, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
Without looking nat is network address translation and dhcp is is dynamic host Configuration protocol and they both due with managing and registering connections on the LAN. Can I have job

I mean resume inflation is real he could of simply just been managing whitelists

I had a course in networking but most of my day to day is project management so I dunno I think some accommodation could be made that people don't work your job requirements in their other job but could still be a fit
But if you didn't know them well enough to answer questions about it, would you still put it on your resume? If you were warned you would be asked about your experience, and had three days to prepare, wouldn't you brush up?

Anyway, I just wanted to know if it was a common thing in the Raleigh IT industry to have such interviews or not. I would never put something on my resume without feeling confident in my skills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary