Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 06:55 PM

21 posts, read 75,019 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the info. I took our 9 year old today and we have about 30 in the rock tumbler (after only being there for about 1/2 hour). We remembered to bring a segment of rock to show the garnets embedded and saved some for the before and after presentation at school. Suggestion--take a cushion and watch out for the fire ants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2008, 08:03 PM

41 posts, read 229,257 times
WOW how kool is that, you live here all your life and learn something new every day. First thing tomorrow my husband and I are heading out for the Garnets. thanks for the link.

Old 03-23-2008, 07:47 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,832,587 times
Cool, didn't know about this place.

BTW, I thought that garnets were much to hard to polish in a rock tumbler. Is there some sort of special grit that you have to use to tumble a garnet?

Old 03-24-2008, 01:42 AM

21 posts, read 75,019 times
I honestly have no idea, but the boy tends to put all sorts of stones in the tumbler and he's happy with what comes out...didn't know about garnet hill until last week, won't know how they tumble for a few weeks. Live and learn (and then make them into jewelry for the grannies!)

Old 03-24-2008, 06:07 AM

915 posts, read 3,182,046 times
cool definitely will stopby when I go back to visit some families

Old 03-24-2008, 09:01 AM
vq1

134 posts, read 683,284 times
Default Trespassing?

Exploring NC, a UNC-TV Thursday and Friday night program, has run two different shows this year on formation of the various deposits of garnets, emeralds, rubies, sapphires and even gold that is within and mined in NC.

Fifty or so years ago, there used to be self dig places near the RDU Airport where you could go, pay a small fee, dig and keep what garnets you found.

While reading this thread, I have to wonder, as I am not familiar with this specific site: Is it legal for anyone to go to this hill, dig up and take the garnets?

Assuming that if it is on the NC98 right-of-way, my guess is that if a law enforcement officer saw you digging, you could be criminally charged with violating many NC General Statutes. Similar to cutting flowers or digging shrubs or trees from the right-of-way.

If this is on private property, the owner(s) might feel that you are trespassing upon and stealing their property.

There are many places where digging for stones can be legally done. Would hate to see someone end up in real trouble if this is an illegal activity at this site.

Last edited by vq1; 03-24-2008 at 09:13 AM..

Old 03-24-2008, 01:12 PM

2,835 posts, read 7,346,155 times
I always thought they were digging for night crawlers to go fishing at Falls Lake. Thought that hill was maybe prime real estate for earth worms. Nice to know that people are really digging for rocks that are priced slightly above stones from our yards and somewhat below the price of fake stones you buy to glue to your fireplace! There is truly a market for everything!

Old 03-24-2008, 04:04 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,584,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vq1 View Post
Exploring NC, a UNC-TV Thursday and Friday night program, has run two different shows this year on formation of the various deposits of garnets, emeralds, rubies, sapphires and even gold that is within and mined in NC.

Fifty or so years ago, there used to be self dig places near the RDU Airport where you could go, pay a small fee, dig and keep what garnets you found.

While reading this thread, I have to wonder, as I am not familiar with this specific site: Is it legal for anyone to go to this hill, dig up and take the garnets?

Assuming that if it is on the NC98 right-of-way, my guess is that if a law enforcement officer saw you digging, you could be criminally charged with violating many NC General Statutes. Similar to cutting flowers or digging shrubs or trees from the right-of-way.

If this is on private property, the owner(s) might feel that you are trespassing upon and stealing their property.

There are many places where digging for stones can be legally done. Would hate to see someone end up in real trouble if this is an illegal activity at this site.
Read the link that is posted on pg.1 of this thread. It is legal since it's located on a public right-of-way.

Old 03-24-2008, 04:46 PM

45 posts, read 150,837 times
Criminally charged? Please! Very good! PSI, I don't think law enforcement will get involved unless someone complains, but for what?

Old 03-24-2008, 06:05 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,038,646 times
THANK YOU!!!!!! ahhh, a weight has been lifted, thanks to those to answered this burning question! My hubby and I would drive by there and always ask "what are those people DOING on that rock hill?". Three years, I have been wondering..........of course, city data could answer that question! Yeah!

thanks!

Leigh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary