Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city do you think will be getting Amazon HQ2?
Raleigh (Triangle area) 73 24.17%
Charlotte 6 1.99%
Austin 33 10.93%
Pittsburgh 16 5.30%
NYC Area (NY/NJ) 8 2.65%
Philly 5 1.66%
Detroit 6 1.99%
Miami 1 0.33%
Atlanta 62 20.53%
Boston 24 7.95%
Somewhere else 68 22.52%
Voters: 302. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 06:21 AM

3,375 posts, read 6,261,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
Does anyone think the Triangle could support both Amazon and Apple coming here?
Could? Yes. Would it be the best thing? Probably not. An influx of 60,000 workers over the next 5-10years from two companies would be almost overwhelming. Especially when you add in the families and other people who would come to help support the new people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2018, 06:29 AM

3,375 posts, read 6,261,994 times
Not to change up the subject too much, but it would REALLLY be nice if the future Orange-Durham Light Rail line would continue 3-4miles south from NCCU to RTP. Then have a Bus Circulator for RTP, that could eventually be replaced with rail. If RTP wanted that.

Old 05-17-2018, 07:01 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,336,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
Not to change up the subject too much, but it would REALLLY be nice if the future Orange-Durham Light Rail line would continue 3-4miles south from NCCU to RTP. Then have a Bus Circulator for RTP, that could eventually be replaced with rail. If RTP wanted that.
Just thinking about it from a logistics/ROW/cost perspective, with them changing the end of the line from Pettigrew St. to NCCU's campus, it obviously does benefit the college much more, but getting the line from there over to RTP probably increased the cost of the next segment (if there ever is one).

I would think continuing the line along Pettigrew/NC-147 into RTP would be much cheaper than plowing through the neighborhoods south of NCCU along the Apex Highway/NC-55, but maybe not.

In an ideal world, where money is not an issue (I know I'm dreaming), if they can connect RTP and RDU to the end of the line at NCCU, that would be great, but RDU is in Wake County and they already said no, for now, on light rail.

Old 05-17-2018, 07:14 AM

56 posts, read 37,429 times
The teachers rally may be attracting unwanted attention from the businesses that have an eye on NC?

Old 05-17-2018, 07:15 AM

6,379 posts, read 5,498,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
Could? Yes. Would it be the best thing? Probably not. An influx of 60,000 workers over the next 5-10years from two companies would be almost overwhelming. Especially when you add in the families and other people who would come to help support the new people.
I can't even imagine what that would do to our already incredibly tight real estate market. You think it's hard to find a moderately priced family home for sale now? Just wait.

Old 05-17-2018, 07:26 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,827,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kishan_the_finder View Post
The teachers rally may be attracting unwanted attention from the businesses that have an eye on NC?
I doubt it. It’s pretty common knowledge that the General Assembly is up for grabs in November. Even with the gerrymandering, there’s still a pretty good chance the GOP will lose their veto-proof majority. Any business would be stupid to cross NC off the list purely for political reasons when the elections are practically right around the corner.

Last edited by LM117; 05-17-2018 at 07:40 AM..

Old 05-17-2018, 07:34 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,274,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
I can't even imagine what that would do to our already incredibly tight real estate market. You think it's hard to find a moderately priced family home for sale now? Just wait.
Maybe I won't need to put granite counters and stainless steel in my kitchen after all. Woo hoo!

Old 05-17-2018, 07:45 AM

2,148 posts, read 1,697,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
In an ideal world, where money is not an issue (I know I'm dreaming), if they can connect RTP and RDU to the end of the line at NCCU, that would be great, but RDU is in Wake County and they already said no, for now, on light rail.
Anyone have the number for Elon Musk's Boring Company?

Maybe that's more expensive up front, but the disruption to current infrastructure would be reduced quite a bit.

ETA: I'm only talking about the area in and around the airport, initially.

Old 05-17-2018, 10:12 AM

2,504 posts, read 3,544,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmoe571 View Post
Which indicates to me that either the company's leaders are considering more than just large incentives in locating its second headquarters
" 'I think they're looking for a more advanced urban setting,' Mayor Jeff Williams told CNNMoney." Bezos himself in 2014: "We could have built a suburban campus… I think it would have been the wrong decision."

Here's a map of Arlington TX's proposed site. It compares favorably to many others that have been proposed, including RTP or even the principal Boston proposal.

Regarding bigger-is-better: a WaPo article this Sunday translated the impact of 50,000 jobs into residents:

Quote:
Planners at the Metropolitan Washington Council of Governments (COG) conservatively project a gain of 390,000 residents, even without any “contagion” impact [from other companies moving to be close to Amazon].

Fewer than half — about 130,000 — would be Amazon employees and their family members. The remaining 260,000 would be households of people filling jobs generated by fresh economic activity spun off by Amazon, according to the COG.
That's a lot of people, but it's a 6% gain for a metro area of 6 million -- vs. an 18% gain for a metro of 2 million.

Last edited by paytonc; 05-17-2018 at 10:22 AM..

Old 05-17-2018, 10:34 AM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,728,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Just thinking about it from a logistics/ROW/cost perspective, with them changing the end of the line from Pettigrew St. to NCCU's campus, it obviously does benefit the college much more, but getting the line from there over to RTP probably increased the cost of the next segment (if there ever is one).

I would think continuing the line along Pettigrew/NC-147 into RTP would be much cheaper than plowing through the neighborhoods south of NCCU along the Apex Highway/NC-55, but maybe not.

I think one thing that they could do way down the road is just continue the line South from the NCCU station, down the middle of NC-55/Apex Highway until they reached Cornwallis Road. Then shoot down Cornwallis into RTP.

I'd almost bet you someone thought about this. Take a look at NC-55 from Whilden Drive to Cornwallis Road. There's a decent sized grassy median that exists there already. The more expensive bit would be figuring out just how the heck to plow down from the NCCU station at Lawson to where it starts to get a bit more spacious at Riddle, then onward to Whilden.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary